Gibson 335 57' Paf Pickup Installed
derper
Aug 28 2012, 01:17 AM
Learning Tone Master
And....I LOVE it!! biggrin.gif

I converted my Parker from S-S-H, to just 2 Humbuckers with a 3 way switch (no coil tap). I absolutely love it!

I did it because I loved my bridge tone, but the rest sounded like a strat but better. I tend to dig the sound of a 335 Gibson over anything. I played my buddy's solidbody Ibanez with a 335 pup in the neck, and it was the opposite of mine....I LOVED his creamy neck tone, but the bridge was "meh" dry.gif

So I thought "why not do what he did, then I'll be in love with ALL of the tone from my guitar"! And I did, and I've never been happier.

Also, I always tend to pick near the middle pickup, so I love not-having to avoid it anymore! Tons of space right in the middle now. I'll post a vid tomorrow (forgot my 1/4'' cable at home today) from work to demo the tone. My guitar guy wants me to come back so he can coil-tap, but I prefer it simple. Why add options to go single coil, when I don't really like the single coil sound (I've just found out)?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
derper
Aug 28 2012, 02:27 AM
Learning Tone Master
Also...it was direct mounted to the body, as opposed to the bridge pickup which is attached to the pickguard. I liked Todd's recent post of an article discussing the difference in tone.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 28 2012, 04:35 AM
GMC:er
Told ya direct mount sounded spiff smile.gif Nice ain't it? I gotta say I wasn't expecting responses saying it made zero difference. But I've seen similar responses in other forums as well. It seems some folks really just can't hear any difference based on the mounting. Then again, I'm playing a 7 string often and having tried the non direct mount 7, it really does add resonance.

Congrats on your new setup! smile.gif

QUOTE (derper @ Aug 27 2012, 09:27 PM) *
Also...it was direct mounted to the body, as opposed to the bridge pickup which is attached to the pickguard. I liked Todd's recent post of an article discussing the difference in tone.

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Aug 28 2012, 11:17 AM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 28 2012, 04:35 AM) *
Told ya direct mount sounded spiff smile.gif Nice ain't it? I gotta say I wasn't expecting responses saying it made zero difference. But I've seen similar responses in other forums as well. It seems some folks really just can't hear any difference based on the mounting. Then again, I'm playing a 7 string often and having tried the non direct mount 7, it really does add resonance.

Congrats on your new setup! smile.gif

It certainly does make a difference! Not just tonally, it should help lengthen the sustain as well. My G&L is Body mounted and I'm thinking of drilling the body and installing some ferrules and convert it to through-Body stringing to give it even more sustain!!
My new Super Strat build is also going to be Body Mounted P-Ups, once I finally decide which P-ups to use!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:18 PM