"tied Notes"
pappadaddy
Nov 10 2011, 07:26 PM
GMC:er
Hello:
I'm working on Muris Varajic's Jazz Swing Lead lesson and in the tab is a symbol L, meaning a "tied note" for the previous note:

--------|-------7---------------------|
----5--|--L---------6-------L--------|
--------------------------------------|

So, what's a "tied note" anyway?

Thanks for any help,
Pappy

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 10 2011, 08:05 PM
Instructor
I think this is the best explanation smile.gif

"When a pair of notes is tied, the second note of the pair is not plucked or attacked again. Instead, the first note is plucked/attacked and held for the duration of both notes."

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
pappadaddy
Nov 10 2011, 08:39 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Nov 10 2011, 07:05 PM) *
I think this is the best explanation smile.gif

"When a pair of notes is tied, the second note of the pair is not plucked or attacked again. Instead, the first note is plucked/attacked and held for the duration of both notes."

Thanks Sinisa: So the technique is similar/same as vibrato or sustain? Sounds like Muris V. is using vibrato, so wouldn't that take a different tab symbol? By the way, I've been trying to work up enough courage (I am so a beginner player) to attempt one of your lessons.

Pappy

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 10 2011, 09:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Tied note ties together two notes of the same pitch. Basically it extends the duration of the note by adding up their rhythmic values.
In practice : pluck the note and hold it sustained for the duration of two note values added up. Usually on longer notes you would add vibrato but that indeed does have a different indication in the tab. You can check out Muris's slow videos and see if he adds vibrato to those particular notes.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 10 2011, 09:37 PM
Instructor
It's the same note, those two notes represent one note (tied note - adds to the duration of initial note). How much duration? Check how long is the tied note, that much.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 01:02 PM