Picking From The Elbow
SLASH91
Jan 10 2008, 03:17 AM
GMC:er
I know it is VERY bad to do, but sometimes when I'm playing fast tremelo picking riffs or even fast downstrokes, I will begin feeling a pain in my elbow. For some reason it only happens when I'm playing riffs, never soloing. Does any one have any suggestions on how to break habit, cause the last thing I want is to end up injured from playing the guitar in the wrong way.

Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
777-HAIRMETAL4HI...
Jan 10 2008, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Jan 9 2008, 08:17 PM) *
I know it is VERY bad to do, but sometimes when I'm playing fast tremelo picking riffs or even fast downstrokes, I will begin feeling a pain in my elbow. For some reason it only happens when I'm playing riffs, never soloing. Does any one have any suggestions on how to break habit, cause the last thing I want is to end up injured from playing the guitar in the wrong way.

Thanks

I used to do the same thing. smile.gif
But what i did was go back and learn it again then worked on it again with a metrenome to get back to where i was...
I tried to look for videos to better explain myself but i didn't find any.
Hopefully this might have helped...
Contact me if you need to

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Electrics: Paul Reed Smith Custom 22, color (Abalone)
Sqiure Telecaster, color (butterscotch)
Acoustics: Taylor 314e
1972 or 73' Alvarez
Suzuki 12-string
Amps: Fender Blues Junior (30 watts of bluesy goodness)
On the Floor: Boss pedal board
Boss DS-1 (California modified)
Boss Loop Station (stompbox)
Boss Chromatic tuner
Ibanez Phaser and Ibanez Chorus/Flanger
Crybaby Wah-wah
Boxers or briefs: ha ha just kidding

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Jan 10 2008, 03:50 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Sounds like when you pick you are using too much of your arm muscles. Try to get the movement to your wrist and make the movement of your wrist very small, this also increases speed, but make sure you increase speed as your muscles adjust.

If this persists, be careful, this can lead to injury.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 10 2008, 08:59 AM
Instructor
Also try not to tense up the picking arm when playing. It must be totally relaxed most of the time. Remember this while practicing.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Jan 10 2008, 10:02 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Milenkovic Ivan @ Jan 10 2008, 07:59 AM) *
Also try not to tense up the picking arm when playing. It must be totally relaxed most of the time. Remember this while practicing.

+1 its very easy to tense up when playing fast rythmn, try and stay as relaxed as possible, you may need to work on the rythmn speed you are trying a little slower to build up your stamina, possible that if you are tensing up then its too fast for your "natural" rythmn motion at the moment.

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 11 2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the suggestions guys. Will be sure to try them out. smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 11 2008, 01:00 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Seems like everynight I try to play faster than my ability at this point. sad.gif
It's hard for me to wait on the speed to come! Wish I could offer some advice here man!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Jan 11 2008, 01:05 AM
QUOTE (skennington @ Jan 10 2008, 06:00 PM) *
Seems like everynight I try to play faster than my ability at this point. sad.gif
It's hard for me to wait on the speed to come! Wish I could offer some advice here man!

Yeah, it sucks; but don't worry. One day you'll just pick up your guitar and you'll have a jump in speed. Might happen every week or every several months, but it will happen smile.gif

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:04 AM