Need Some Advice, Left hand doesnt agree with my right hand
Tmas
Dec 9 2007, 07:41 PM
GMC:er
So I've been playing off and on for a couple of years now, but lately I have really gotten serious! I swear, for almost a whole year the only thing I could play was the famous smoke on the water riff in the wrong key which i just now realized. Over the last month I have improved soooo much thanks to GMC and its so encouraging. The only problem I seem to be having now is I cant get my left had to move fast enough and in sync with my right hand. I know... practice practice but I injured my left arm/wrist pretty badly a couple of years ago. Compound fracture and I have a metal plate in it. Pretty crazy stuff, and to top it off my doc told me I probably wouldnt be able to use it like I used too. Guess i'm kinda proving him wrong lol, but it still bugs me. Some times it cramps up and I feel like i should be a better player than I am, with the amount of time I have put into it. Anyone out there with similar stories and maybe some advice on how they overcame it? Thanks

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
chast
Dec 9 2007, 08:17 PM
Learning Roadie
That synchronisation problem isnt that rare, I think wink.gif
Do you practice with metronome ? And if you do, DONT push the speed too fast. Thats what I did and it wasnt very helpful wink.gif
It is a lot of work, but thats guitarplaying wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
nickmarx12345678
Dec 9 2007, 08:26 PM
Well I did break my left arm in half once but it got all better and I dont think it affects my guitar playing but I can tell you what I do to get faster
Every day (I have a couple exercises Alt picking sweep, etc...) I do and exercise w/ a metronome and start it slow then increase the tempo every time I mostly correctly finish the exercise, until I cant go faster. Then I turn the tempo down maybe 10-15 bmp and repeat the process
Works very well for maybe it might help you

--------------------
ROCK ON!!!!

+Quote Post
Toni Suominen
Dec 9 2007, 08:33 PM
Instructor
Just practise with a metronome and you should be allright, your hands will get in sync eventually smile.gif

--------------------
Gear:
-PRS Custom 22
-Edwards Les Paul
-PodXT
-Ibanez Acoustic

Check out my lessons and my instructor profile!

My Youtube channel

My Last.FM

+Quote Post
Xranthoius
Dec 9 2007, 08:40 PM
Yeah, everybody is right. Practice very very VERY slow with a metronome. Slowly over time increase your speed and you should be fine.

It isn't uncommon to have that problem, but the metal plate and the fact that you injured it doesn't help. If you get cramps, stop for a little bit. Don't give up!!

Xran~

--------------------
IPB Image IPB Image

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 08:41 PM
That seems like a bad injury, do you mind me asking how it happened? Just curious.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 9 2007, 08:48 PM
Lets go fishing!
I am sorry to here you have been haveing problems with your hand, hope its getting better now! smile.gif

As Toni mentioned, too get get those hands in sync simply practice hard to your metronome. Any of our Alternate picking exercises will help you out here ! smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 08:52 PM
I still need to buy a metronome. I have still not purchased one after 4 years of playing. blink.gif

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 9 2007, 08:52 PM
As mentioned, slow and with a metronome is the way to do it!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 9 2007, 08:53 PM
Lets go fishing!
Ahhh, I bought the blue Korg MA-30 when i joined back in 06 - "cause Kris has one" laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 08:54 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Dec 9 2007, 02:53 PM) *
Ahhh, I bought the blue Korg MA-30 when i joined back in 06 - "cause Kris has one" laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll buy one soon as it will be vital because I am starting private lessons soon to help my playing more. smile.gif

This post has been edited by Unleash-The-Shred: Dec 9 2007, 08:55 PM

+Quote Post
preownedguitar
Dec 9 2007, 09:01 PM
Like Mattacuk I bought the same one Kris had when I joined. Just watch the metronome lesson on how to use it. He tells you how you will sound if you don't use it. It really is the key to syncing up your timing and will encourage you to learn more once you see what you are capable of doing with it.

--------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strings:
Any 9-42's for strings.
Amp:
Carvin Bel Air 212 (2x12 50 Watt all tube), Carvin 212E Cabinet (2x12 120w)
Gutars:
Ibanez RG2550e Prestige, Galaxy black
94' Fender Stratocaster Black w/Black pearl pickguard
Pedals:
Keeley Flexi 4x12 Ibanez Tube Screamer
Keeley DS-1 Ultra
Keeley Compressor
Morley Bad Horsie 2 Contour Wah
Pod X3 Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Dec 9 2007, 09:02 PM
Lets go fishing!
Good advice there. That is a golden GMC moment when kris tells us just how we will sound without it! laugh.gif laugh.gif biggrin.gif wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Unleash-The-Shre...
Dec 9 2007, 09:03 PM
QUOTE (preownedguitar @ Dec 9 2007, 03:01 PM) *
Like Mattacuk I bought the same one Kris had when I joined. Just watch the metronome lesson on how to use it. He tells you how you will sound if you don't use it. It really is the key to syncing up your timing and will encourage you to learn more once you see what you are capable of doing with it.

I think i'll have to get one too although I would like a real metronome. One of the ones that swings back and forth but a good one is pretty pricey.

+Quote Post
rokchik
Dec 9 2007, 10:56 PM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Tmas @ Dec 9 2007, 02:41 PM) *
So I've been playing off and on for a couple of years now, but lately I have really gotten serious! I swear, for almost a whole year the only thing I could play was the famous smoke on the water riff in the wrong key which i just now realized. Over the last month I have improved soooo much thanks to GMC and its so encouraging. The only problem I seem to be having now is I cant get my left had to move fast enough and in sync with my right hand. I know... practice practice but I injured my left arm/wrist pretty badly a couple of years ago. Compound fracture and I have a metal plate in it. Pretty crazy stuff, and to top it off my doc told me I probably wouldnt be able to use it like I used too. Guess i'm kinda proving him wrong lol, but it still bugs me. Some times it cramps up and I feel like i should be a better player than I am, with the amount of time I have put into it. Anyone out there with similar stories and maybe some advice on how they overcame it? Thanks

Sorry to hear about the injury man. I injured my right shoulder earlier this year and still have a few problems with it when playing so I feel your pain. One thing I added to my practice is a bit of stretching before hand. Just a few movements to get the blood flowing and then stretch out my wrists, hands, fingers, arms, shoulders and back. I found it helped with the cramping and fatigue. That's just me but it may be worth a try.

As for your sync problem I also had trouble with this when I started. Now this is going to sound like a broken record but practice with a metronome is the ticket...like everyone else has said smile.gif Start off slow and work your way up. I kept and still keep a log of my metronome speeds just so I can track my progress...really helps on those days where I feel I'm getting nowhere with my playing. It can be a slow process and patience is key but believe me you will see improvements. Good luck with it man and keep us updated to your progress. smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Dec 9 2007, 11:00 PM

+Quote Post
Tmas
Dec 9 2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah, I try to play with a metronome or a backing track. I guess I should use a metronome more. I have a podxt live and I just figured out how to use gearbox... lol that program is awesome. And it has a built in metronome! It was a bicycle accident... lol i did a couple of flips smile.gif Thanks for all the advice! Now i'm off to a show! Peace

--------------------
Yeah... I'm member number 911. What about it?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:28 PM