Analog Vs Digital, Difference in sounds
Hajduk
Jul 22 2013, 05:36 PM
Learning Rock Star
Is there a huge difference in sound between Digital pedals like mine the Zoom G2.1NU and Analog pedals? When I was in music school everything was Analog pedals when I stopped playing seriously for 10 years it changed over to digital now its back to Analog. Is there really that much of a difference in sound between the two?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Tomislav
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 22 2013, 05:55 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Yes and no, in my opinion.
Some pedals can be quite different, but there's a lot of really good digital gear nowadays as well.
I tend to lean more against the analog gear, but there's been digital pedals/gear that have really impressed me as well.
My suggestion is to try out for yourself, or at least spend some time on youtube looking at reviews :-)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 22 2013, 06:31 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (audiopaal @ Jul 22 2013, 04:55 PM) *
Yes and no, in my opinion.
Some pedals can be quite different, but there's a lot of really good digital gear nowadays as well.
I tend to lean more against the analog gear, but there's been digital pedals/gear that have really impressed me as well.
My suggestion is to try out for yourself, or at least spend some time on youtube looking at reviews :-)

Thanks Audiopaal smile.gif will look at some videos. Still have my Digitech combo distortion and delay pedal that I bought in 1992 but overheats after an hour of use and that cant be a good thing.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 22 2013, 09:12 PM
Instructor
It's still about the same thing - No matter what kind of circuit any device has..Yoiu plug it and it works or not smile.gif There's no sense trying to addict yourself to only one type of constructions smile.gif

I want to share some nice thought by a polish sound engeneer (You probably know it from many others world wide smile.gif

The worst thing is how many people misunderstand what really means "good tone of analog gear". Some of them consider analog gear to be best sounding which is often mistaken with words like "most natural" "transparent" "eqal in different freq ranges" etc...which is bulshit. It's a digital gear that makes us possible to record things with biggest precision, lowest noise level and with no affect on the tone shape. Digital gear makes possible to record and make tons of copies of the same record keeping the 100% quality (like copying CD or wav file on Your PC)

BUT!

Many musicians, sound engeneers love analogs EXACTLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS THE TONE. Id adds some saturation, it colorizes the tone, sometimes boost some warm midrange ...adds some natural noise....

SO...

in the meaning of QUALITY treated as a most true image of the recorded signal....it's the analog devices who distort/affect the image of the sound ....but in the way people like smile.gif. For example some popular API2500 compressors. They colorize the tone....especially the high end smile.gif Also...remember that "good" old noise on the music tapes? smile.gif Is noise something good? Judge Yourself but keep in mind what the analog / digital difference really is.

ALSO...

In the past highend and in some present but cheap gear the algotythms are not "huge" enought to pretend some unexpected behaviors of electric circuits in analog devices. But now....be aware...digital guys are getting better and better and they can trick You more than once while making You detect what was recorded on the analog and what's on the digital simulation.

PRIVATE PUNCHLINE

Why do I like analogs in guitar? Simple...they're usually UNBREAKABLE and easy/cheap to repeair. They're simple so You really have to work hard to destroy one. Any tech problems are usually causeb by hard ,mechanical abuse. They are much more resistanat to a huidity and temperature conditions on stage. Like a russian tanks biggrin.gif...While digital gear like to fail when there are voltage issues and temperature changes. They're like our home PC...the like to freeze etc. Repair needs usually some professional service and some parts are even impossible to get.

Now what do I like about digital?...Let's say Instead of having I 2 meters long rack case on stage...I have 1U unit that makes the job. One more...MIDI switching makes us able to control our system that is very close to the amp and that means shorter chords length = less signal losses. Next one...digital Delay - You can perfectly set the echo speed and keep it synchronized with the metronome.

The topic is too wide for "just a one book" but the main concept is to not undervalue any of those smile.gif

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 22 2013, 10:38 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Jul 22 2013, 08:12 PM) *
It's still about the same thing - No matter what kind of circuit any device has..Yoiu plug it and it works or not smile.gif There's no sense trying to addict yourself to only one type of constructions smile.gif

I want to share some nice thought by a polish sound engeneer (You probably know it from many others world wide smile.gif

The worst thing is how many people misunderstand what really means "good tone of analog gear". Some of them consider analog gear to be best sounding which is often mistaken with words like "most natural" "transparent" "eqal in different freq ranges" etc...which is bulshit. It's a digital gear that makes us possible to record things with biggest precision, lowest noise level and with no affect on the tone shape. Digital gear makes possible to record and make tons of copies of the same record keeping the 100% quality (like copying CD or wav file on Your PC)

BUT!

Many musicians, sound engeneers love analogs EXACTLY BECAUSE IT AFFECTS THE TONE. Id adds some saturation, it colorizes the tone, sometimes boost some warm midrange ...adds some natural noise....

SO...

in the meaning of QUALITY treated as a most true image of the recorded signal....it's the analog devices who distort/affect the image of the sound ....but in the way people like smile.gif. For example some popular API2500 compressors. They colorize the tone....especially the high end smile.gif Also...remember that "good" old noise on the music tapes? smile.gif Is noise something good? Judge Yourself but keep in mind what the analog / digital difference really is.

ALSO...

In the past highend and in some present but cheap gear the algotythms are not "huge" enought to pretend some unexpected behaviors of electric circuits in analog devices. But now....be aware...digital guys are getting better and better and they can trick You more than once while making You detect what was recorded on the analog and what's on the digital simulation.

PRIVATE PUNCHLINE

Why do I like analogs in guitar? Simple...they're usually UNBREAKABLE and easy/cheap to repeair. They're simple so You really have to work hard to destroy one. Any tech problems are usually causeb by hard ,mechanical abuse. They are much more resistanat to a huidity and temperature conditions on stage. Like a russian tanks biggrin.gif...While digital gear like to fail when there are voltage issues and temperature changes. They're like our home PC...the like to freeze etc. Repair needs usually some professional service and some parts are even impossible to get.

Now what do I like about digital?...Let's say Instead of having I 2 meters long rack case on stage...I have 1U unit that makes the job. One more...MIDI switching makes us able to control our system that is very close to the amp and that means shorter chords length = less signal losses. Next one...digital Delay - You can perfectly set the echo speed and keep it synchronized with the metronome.

The topic is too wide for "just a one book" but the main concept is to not undervalue any of those smile.gif

Thanks Darius smile.gif Great explanation. I personally really like my zoom pedal smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 22 2013, 10:46 PM
GMC:er
I like them both. They don't sound exactly the same, but I can always eventually dial in a tone on either one that I am happy with.

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 22 2013, 10:57 PM
Learning Rock Star
I like them both as well although sometimes I think analog pedals are easier to set up, mind you I'm a bit slow with the tech stuff sad.gif All I need to do is find that awesome Eric Johnson sound smile.gif

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Spock
Jul 22 2013, 11:28 PM
GMC:er
Interesting - I found this thread... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=451176

I think most of people like Eric Johnson's tone, is in their fingers though - but you could emulate what this guy does with your own units and get close.

Try finding a tone on a chord, or on a single note that somewhat matches, as you are playing with your settings - the rest, when emulating, is really technique I think.

I know that, no matter how hard I attempt to sound like somebody, I always end up sounding like me trying to sound like somebody.

EDIT: Unless you're Ben and you have a 30 Shredders video

This post has been edited by Spock: Jul 22 2013, 11:18 PM

+Quote Post
Hajduk
Jul 22 2013, 11:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 22 2013, 10:28 PM) *
Interesting - I found this thread... http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=451176

I think most of people like Eric Johnson's tone, is in their fingers though - but you could emulate what this guy does with your own units and get close.

Try finding a tone on a chord, or on a single note that somewhat matches, as you are playing with your settings - the rest, when emulating, is really technique I think.

I know that, no matter how hard I attempt to sound like somebody, I always end up sounding like me trying to sound like somebody.

That's awesome Spock, yeah I'm not Ben and cant play like Eric Johnson smile.gif but love that sound thanks for the thread will take a look.

--------------------
Tomislav

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 12:41 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Spock @ Jul 22 2013, 10:28 PM) *

I think this is Your personall success. There's nothing better for me then to hear someone saying "This is Darius Wave playing Santana" for example. This is much better than just being another copy of Santana.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jul 23 2013, 12:21 PM
Instructor
Tone is in the fingers, indeed - you always recognize a great guitarist just by hearing his tone, SOMETIMES, not always smile.gif

But anyway, in my opinion, a piece of gear should be judged by the following things:

- is it easy to operate?
- does it deliver the sound you want it to deliver?
- does it blend well with what you ALREADY have in terms of gear - amp/ other pedals/ guitars?
- is it resistant to wear?

If it delivers these - ... nothing else matters laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 23 2013, 03:38 PM
Instructor
So close no matter how far
what to choose...analog, digital ?
Forever trust in tone award
And nothing else matters biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jul 23 2013, 03:53 PM
Instructor
Digital started trying to emulate Analog. When the digital was at their beginning, it wasn't very good so most people disliked it and said that digital was rubbish. Nowadays there are digital devices that now only sound as good as analog, they have much more possibilities and features. However there are also lots of cheap digital stuff that distracts and make people think that digital is a bad word.

I think that Darius said what it's important... just listen and take your own opinions based on what you hear.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 02:13 AM