2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Amp
kaznie_NL
Jul 27 2008, 05:34 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
A friend came over and he also plays guitar.When I played trough my amp, he said the Trrrrrr my amp was making after a low note was not good, he said was busy blowing up my amp. Is this true, because then I can only put on the lowest settings. It has 16 watts, but the it already starts making the trrrrrrrr sound when I'm playing clean on volume 6 o'clock with my pedal on lvl 12 out of 50! That's realy soft...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 27 2008, 11:46 PM
Instructor
I'm not sure what you mean by "trrrrr", can you record it somehow? Also what kind of amp do you have and a guitar, singelcoils maybe?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 28 2008, 01:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 28 2008, 12:46 AM) *
I'm not sure what you mean by "trrrrr", can you record it somehow? Also what kind of amp do you have and a guitar, singelcoils maybe?

Yep single coins, I mean it sounds like the amp its buzzing in it's case, I have a Korg 16V

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Jul 28 2008, 01:18 PM
GMC:er
Is it really a trrr sound or more like a bzzz sound

And have you tried to put the amp on without your guitar plugged in? what does it sound like in that case?

Also, if it is more a distorted sound like something is moving (more a krrrr sound) then you should check first if your guitars input jack doesn't have any loose wire. You should also in that case try a diffrent cable.

hope this helps

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Jul 28 2008, 01:58 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Jul 28 2008, 02:18 PM) *
Is it really a trrr sound or more like a bzzz sound

And have you tried to put the amp on without your guitar plugged in? what does it sound like in that case?

Also, if it is more a distorted sound like something is moving (more a krrrr sound) then you should check first if your guitars input jack doesn't have any loose wire. You should also in that case try a diffrent cable.

hope this helps

If it's not plugged in, there's only a low buzz, that's no problem. If the volume kicks in, so when you start playing (and especialy bass notes) it starts "trrrrr"ing very fast tongue.gif

Are you Dutch?

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 28 2008, 02:10 PM
Instructor
Well, if the amp is buzzing inside the case, and not from speaker -it can be serious. I would recommend plugging it out of the wall outlet and getting it to amp tech as soon as possible.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Jul 28 2008, 04:28 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Jul 28 2008, 02:58 PM) *
If it's not plugged in, there's only a low buzz, that's no problem. If the volume kicks in, so when you start playing (and especialy bass notes) it starts "trrrrr"ing very fast tongue.gif

That might also be fret buzz. Have you tried a diffrent cable? Because a bad cable can do this kind of thing.

Are you Dutch?

*hides behind a rock*

"They are on to me!"

+Quote Post
kjutte
Jul 31 2008, 11:33 AM
Just buy a new one. Amps are cheapnowdays.

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
Jul 31 2008, 12:29 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
I would also have the amp checked, I don't really know what might be causeing this sound but I think you should not risk your amp.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 31 2008, 12:49 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Don't know about the trrrr's and brrrrr's but if it's a tube amp and you can hear a humming sound when you play the at least one of the powertubes are broken.
But you said it's 16W so I doubt there are power tubes in it.

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 31 2008, 06:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well if you meant that the amp is shacking in its case from vibrations when playing, there can be something loose inside which is making the noise...But on such small amps I don't think its unusual...You can maybe go to the store and tryout same amp to see if it behaves the same wink.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 1 2008, 03:36 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jul 31 2008, 07:03 PM) *
Well if you meant that the amp is shacking in its case from vibrations when playing, there can be something loose inside which is making the noise...But on such small amps I don't think its unusual...You can maybe go to the store and tryout same amp to see if it behaves the same wink.gif

That's a good excuse to check some amps haha, thnx Bogdan tongue.gif

Ok guys, topic closed. I'll just keep it like this, probably what Bogdan said. It has no tubes...and I'm not going to just buy a new one as Kjutte said. Sorry, but for me "just buy a new one" sounds realy weird. If somethings make some noise you just go and instantly buy a new one?

Thnx for the advice guys, that's so cool about GMC, you all help!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 2 2008, 11:33 AM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 1 2008, 04:36 PM) *
That's a good excuse to check some amps haha, thnx Bogdan tongue.gif

Ok guys, topic closed. I'll just keep it like this, probably what Bogdan said. It has no tubes...and I'm not going to just buy a new one as Kjutte said. Sorry, but for me "just buy a new one" sounds realy weird. If somethings make some noise you just go and instantly buy a new one?

Thnx for the advice guys, that's so cool about GMC, you all help!

It will be more expensive to have an engineer working on old stuff, than buying a new amp.

Edit for language - Smells

This post has been edited by Smells: Aug 5 2008, 10:08 PM

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 3 2008, 12:44 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (kjutte @ Aug 2 2008, 12:33 PM) *
It will be more expensive to have an engineer working on old **poo**, than buying a new amp.

thnx, this amp is half a year old... it's still guaranteed to do it's job fine...

This post has been edited by kaznie_NL: Aug 3 2008, 12:45 PM

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 3 2008, 06:30 PM
QUOTE (kaznie_NL @ Aug 3 2008, 01:44 PM) *
thnx, this amp is half a year old... it's still guaranteed to do it's job fine...

Does it still have warranty so you could bring it to the store?

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Aug 4 2008, 05:54 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 3 2008, 07:30 PM) *
Does it still have warranty so you could bring it to the store?

I think so... My dad told me to just keep playing and if I see nothing is wrong, there's no problem, if I blow up the thing withing some months, I have my waranty tongue.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 4 2008, 08:31 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 31 2008, 07:49 AM) *
Don't know about the trrrr's and brrrrr's but if it's a tube amp and you can hear a humming sound when you play the at least one of the powertubes are broken.
But you said it's 16W so I doubt there are power tubes in it.

I have a 5-watt amp that has an EL84 power tube.

No real contribution to the discussion at hand, but thereya go.

As for the original question, it could be a lot of things as witnessed by the different answers.

Especially if it's still under warranty, bring it back in under a warranty call...you may or may not have to pay for it, but whatever's wrong will get fixed.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 4 2008, 08:41 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Aug 4 2008, 09:31 PM) *
I have a 5-watt amp that has an EL84 power tube.

No real contribution to the discussion at hand, but thereya go

5W tube amps usualy come with EL84, class A

What I meant was that 16 is odd. If you make a tube amp, 15W or 18W, but 16 or 17, not really.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Aug 4 2008, 08:53 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 4 2008, 03:41 PM) *
5W tube amps usualy come with EL84, class A

What I meant was that 16 is odd. If you make a tube amp, 15W or 18W, but 16 or 17, not really.

Ok. Gotcha. I'm a little slow today.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 4 2008, 09:01 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Aug 4 2008, 09:53 PM) *
Ok. Gotcha. I'm a little slow today.

Nah not at all, I didn't really explain why I thought there were no tubes in the first place. wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:05 PM