Left Hand Cramp, I think I'm killing my strings =D
thefireball
May 27 2011, 02:42 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey GMC!

I notice that when I'm doing a lot of rhythms for recordings and such my fretting hand gets really cramped and hurts. This especially is noticed when I'm fretting power chords. Am I too tense? I just wanted another opinion. Anything I can do to help stop the tensing, except concentrating on relaxing? smile.gif Perhaps imagine the guitar is extremely fragile? laugh.gif (I wonder what Ben would say to that.)

By the way, I stop to give my hands a break when the pain comes. I'm stretching them right now.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ben Higgins
May 27 2011, 03:09 PM
Instructor
Hey Brandon.. when I record I'm usually more tense because of the pressure of wanting to get it right. I usually record sat down when I'm first sketching out a tune too.. I usually find that my picking arm gets sore and tense as opposed to my fretting hand. We're all different I guess wink.gif

Do you record sat down ? A lot of tension also begins in our necks and shoulders and travels down through our arms.. so make sure you stretch out your neck, shoulders and back and try and feel loose all the way down to your fingers.

Generally, when we're consciously trying to avoid playing mistakes we will tense up.. because we associate being loose and carefree with the possibility of sloppy technique or playing wrong notes.

When I find myself getting too tense, I stop.. do the usual routine we all do, shake our hands out etc... but what I find myself doing recently is to think of something funny (like a movie or comedian's joke) that makes me laugh. It helps me feel less serious and uptight. I do this when I'm having trouble with recording a video.. it makes me feel like 'It doesn't matter, just take it easy' smile.gif

EDIT: Come to think of it, just think of Mudbone's Avatar.. that should do the trick ! laugh.gif (I hope he hasn't changed it now)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ben Higgins: May 27 2011, 03:11 PM

+Quote Post
Mudbone
May 28 2011, 01:06 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ May 27 2011, 10:09 AM) *
EDIT: Come to think of it, just think of Mudbone's Avatar.. that should do the trick ! laugh.gif (I hope he hasn't changed it now)

Don't worry Ben, my avatar ain't going anywhere. Its the only way I'll ever be able to have luscious black locks biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ May 27 2011, 02:34 PM) *
Try to imagine it's a tender girl, and you won't have problems biggrin.gif

If I imagine that, it will make another region of my body stiff and tense tongue.gif

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:14 PM