Difficulty Playing Standing Up
dynamite_dude
Sep 10 2007, 02:38 AM
GMC:er
A bit frustrated at the mo, just learning the Cowboy's from Hell (Pantera) solo and can do the long stretch descending pattern just fine, however, when I try play that standing up, my wrist is at such an awkward angle that I cannot play it comfortably at all.

This doesn't just apply to this solo/song, but to just playing when standing up. My guitar isn't at my feet or anything, but above my waist, and it still causes my wrist to go to near snapping point when I play standing up.

Any suggestions on how to solve this?

Cheers.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
LTD EC-1000
Ibanez RG2550E

Roland Cube 30
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Robin
Sep 10 2007, 02:43 AM
Make sure the guitar is at a comfortable hight, and then you just practice playing while standing. After a while you wont notice any difference beetween sitting and standing. In the beginning you're just not used to play while standing, its all just a matter of practicing it till you get used to it.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Robin: Sep 10 2007, 02:45 AM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Sep 10 2007, 03:32 AM
basically play standing.. practice makes your wrist adjust and then it feels better..stretch your wrist.. and when your practicing scales and such just try walking around while you do it

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 10 2007, 04:03 AM
I cant play some solos when standing up sad.gif i think that my guitar's neck is too big, i dont know...and when after a while of playing (standing) i get a horrible wrist ache in my fretting hand.... sad.gif is this the "Adjustment/Getting used to" process? unsure.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Ayen
Sep 10 2007, 04:12 AM
Try adjusting the strap, maybe lowering the guitar below your waist. Practice standing as much as you can as well, sooner or later it's bound to become more comfortable (not just randomly, of course), and you'll be ready to play on stage.

Fretdancer, I usually get that ache too, but it's when im sitting down, and usually have my thumb in the middle of the neck, and fret the strings from above.

--------------------
IPB Image

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 10 2007, 04:32 AM
Instructor
If you keep your guitar on right leg when practicing sitting, than you will most likely have troubles playing standing because it totally changes the position of right hand when picking.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 10 2007, 04:40 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Sep 10 2007, 03:32 AM) *
If you keep your guitar on right leg when practicing sitting, than you will most likely have troubles playing standing because it totally changes the position of right hand when picking.

I have my guitar on the right leg, but I have never ever(Well, except when I started) had any problems with playing guitar while standing.

I say all this is just a matter of practice.

+Quote Post
strat_daniel
Sep 10 2007, 06:52 AM
Yeah, the aches are just part of the changing process right now. I had a lot of trouble, too, at first. Now I can casually walk around without looking at the guitar. It just takes a little time.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Sep 10 2007, 07:09 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Robin @ Sep 10 2007, 05:40 AM) *
I have my guitar on the right leg, but I have never ever(Well, except when I started) had any problems with playing guitar while standing.

I say all this is just a matter of practice.

The height of the guitar - how low/high you keep it is also important! When you practice sitting your hands are in one position and when you stand - in another position! So it DOES matter.

It all depends on what you play and how much practice you had of both. When i practice at home i play both standing and sitting just to have a bit of both! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 10 2007, 07:16 AM
It's also important that the neck is angled about 45° to the floor when standing and sitting. I's a lot more comfortable for the wrist.

Though when sitting it's not as easy to position it angled if you don't play with the guitar body being very high so it can hang from the strap that way. But when standing it's very easy to adjust it to hang like that.

And the wrist should't hurt, at least not much. It really helps to warm the wrist a little before playing. ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 10 2007, 07:20 AM
QUOTE (Anomaly @ Sep 10 2007, 12:16 AM) *
And the wrist should't hurt, at least not much. It really helps to warm the wrist a little before playing. ph34r.gif

i always do that. I dont think its the act of not warming up that gives me the aches, but the position of my wrist... i think...

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Sep 10 2007, 07:27 AM
Yeah, I used to have your problem dynamite dude, but my wrist doesnt really ache anymore. I keep my strap pretty low btw.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
Anomaly
Sep 10 2007, 07:48 AM
QUOTE (FretDancer69 @ Sep 10 2007, 08:20 AM) *
i always do that. I dont think its the act of not warming up that gives me the aches, but the position of my wrist... i think...

Yeah, probably. Because you stretch the left wrist too far to the left/outwards. This hurts me at least. But you don't need to stretch your wrist too much like that if you keep your guitar neck at 45° from the floor.

My wrist really hurt for quite some time because I over used it in the wrong way. And now it's a lot better and doesn't give me any difficulties playing if I warm up. So, I do have to warm up. It's probably not that important if you're sure you're holding everything right (!) and you start playing slowly and if it doesn't hurt at all.

But I still can't lean on my left hand's palm (with the wrist being bend, though not bend like when playing) because it starts to really hurt long before I put my weight on it. So now I lean on my left hand with a straight wrist - with just the fingers on the surface or lean on my fist.
But when doing something like this which isn't really leaning straight on http://yoga.iloveindia.com/gifs/yoga-poses.jpg biggrin.gif I've heard that then you do need to keep your whole palm on the floor (and finger extended smile.gif ) otherwise that can hurt your wrist too. It doesn't hurt me if I do it either way (with whole palms on the floor or just on my fingers), but I'm going to take the advice. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Victafor
Sep 15 2007, 03:31 AM
when i sit down, the guitar is closer to me! and its more comfortable. But when i stood up, it was real hard for sweeps and stuff

so what i did was just tighten the strap closer to me

+Quote Post
Soul_Decision
Sep 20 2007, 08:32 AM
When sitting down, try playing with the guitar on your left leg. I did this and I have no problem playing the same stuff standing up

--------------------
Push through all barriers.......Never self-limit.........Because there is none

+Quote Post
Skyla_Lit
Sep 20 2007, 08:05 PM
Wrist pain - THAT I can understand but what about pain in the left shoulder while playing standing up??

15 minutes of walking around with the guitar and it starts to hurt like hell sad.gif

Any ideas what to do about that??

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 20 2007, 08:23 PM
another option, dedicate yourself to the guitar so much, that you get so great at it that you can take the attitude...."You guys can stand if you want, I am going to load my couch in my pickup truck and put it on stage, if you don't like it, or the audience does not like it, all I can say is, I found a gig when I was looking for this one!".

Now you would have to be pretty darn good to pull that off, but I thought I would just mention it as an option.

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 20 2007, 08:25 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Skyla_Lit @ Sep 20 2007, 01:05 PM) *
Wrist pain - THAT I can understand but what about pain in the left shoulder while playing standing up??

15 minutes of walking around with the guitar and it starts to hurt like hell sad.gif

Any ideas what to do about that??

I'd use as wide a guitar strap as you can find Skyla_lit. Mine is about 2- 2 1/2 inches wide - it helps spread the weight over a wider area of your shoulder and with a Gibson it really does help smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Skyla_Lit
Sep 20 2007, 08:45 PM
Guess I'll go for the wider guitar strap smile.gif since playing sitting on a couch all day long might result in other kinds of pain popping up tongue.gif

Let's just hope the widest strap won't be wider than my shoulder)

Thank you guys!!

+Quote Post
Robin
Sep 20 2007, 09:16 PM
Just do like Steve Harris, nit your own gigantic and soft strap.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 11:38 AM