2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Alter Picking
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 12 2010, 10:44 PM
GMC:er
hey guys i have been training alter picking for few weeks :X and i quite don't feel any progress any suggestions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 12 2010, 10:55 PM
Learning Tone Master
Learn a song using alt picking smile.gif
Often you dont feel the progression, but its there.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 12 2010, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 12 2010, 11:02 PM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 12 2010, 09:55 PM) *
Learn a song using alt picking smile.gif
Often you dont feel the progression, but its there.

i have learn several licks but i still feel sloppy and its kind of annoying me cuz most of the stuff i rly like have some freaking fast alter "btwn strings", yeh i can do it fast but like i said for me it sound so so sloppy. is like i am missing something :x

This post has been edited by MonkeyDAthos: Nov 12 2010, 11:04 PM

--------------------
It's a proven fact that guitar faces have a bigger impact on tone than wood does.

+Quote Post
Frederik
Nov 12 2010, 11:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
play it at a slower tempo where you are confident, and gradually increase your speed smile.gif
sometimes you can try it at full speed just for the fun of it and the mind challenge

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 12 2010, 11:27 PM
QUOTE (Frederik @ Nov 12 2010, 10:16 PM) *
play it at a slower tempo where you are confident, and gradually increase your speed smile.gif
sometimes you can try it at full speed just for the fun of it and the mind challenge

guess i'll give a shoot one more time cool.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 12 2010, 11:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
Yeah, speeding up and play unclean wont give you much.
You can ofc play way out of your tempo for short periods of time, then go back, and your tempo will feel easier smile.gif

Learn difficult songs at slow speeds. Its a lot of fun, and while you learn less songs, its really going to help you improve (on any kinds of picking). Some of the first songs I tried learning were shred stuff from cacophony, steve vai etc. Didnt make it, but learned a lot, haha. smile.gif
Ofc its the most demotivational way to learn though, because you fail tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 12 2010, 11:33 PM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 13 2010, 12:02 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 12 2010, 10:31 PM) *
Yeah, speeding up and play unclean wont give you much.
You can ofc play way out of your tempo for short periods of time, then go back, and your tempo will feel easier smile.gif

Learn difficult songs at slow speeds. Its a lot of fun, and while you learn less songs, its really going to help you improve (on any kinds of picking). Some of the first songs I tried learning were shred stuff from cacophony, steve vai etc. Didnt make it, but learned a lot, haha. smile.gif
Ofc its the most demotivational way to learn though, because you fail tongue.gif

can you recomend'm some song ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 13 2010, 12:11 AM
Learning Tone Master
Anything you like smile.gif No reason to learn anything else ^^

This post has been edited by Sollesnes: Nov 13 2010, 12:17 AM

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 13 2010, 12:19 AM
QUOTE (Sollesnes @ Nov 12 2010, 11:11 PM) *
Anything you like smile.gif No reason to learn anything else ^^

ahaha just give me a few weeks and i will eat petrucci at breakfast laugh.gif
thank you guys really biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
del-4fr53e3
Nov 13 2010, 02:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
Work hard smile.gif The best practice in the world is playing songs! smile.gif

+Quote Post
leedbreak
Nov 13 2010, 02:59 AM
A/P?

Just try to go up one bpm a week, that all you have to do. Start slower than you have been and forget going faster. Make sure you are comfortable with how everything feels. The pick in your hand, the feeling you fell as it comes over the string, fretting fingers, lightest touch possible, everything.

If a person could go up 52 PBM in one year one could never complain, however even 52 bpm a year is very hard to do.

I have seen more progress doing it this way, and I have tried and failed at many other ways.

It is so important to end every practice session with clean playing. No matter how slow it was.

This post has been edited by leedbreak: Nov 13 2010, 03:00 AM

--------------------
- leedbreak

Practice Makes Perfect, only when it is perfect practice :-)

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 13 2010, 05:12 AM
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 12 2010, 05:44 PM) *
hey guys i have been training alter picking for few weeks :X and i quite don't feel any progress any suggestions?

Todd here smile.gif I'd say join me for the weekly video chat lesson this Saturday at 5:00 pm EST. We do some Alternate Picking each week. Also, check the lesson notes link in my signature for 30 lessons that mostly deal with AP. See you Sat!

Todd

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 13 2010, 05:03 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 12 2010, 10:44 PM) *

the most important thing is , you guessed it ,picking
i have given myself so many bad habits over the years because i was not watching the technique of my picking hand
so study the way some shredder's hold the pick and what works best for you , and make sure as your speed increases your tech.
stays strong

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 14 2010, 06:26 PM
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 13 2010, 04:03 PM) *
the most important thing is , you guessed it ,picking
i have given myself so many bad habits over the years because i was not watching the technique of my picking hand
so study the way some shredder's hold the pick and what works best for you , and make sure as your speed increases your tech.
stays strong

i found my problem .... for exemple, listen alot artists like petrucci , jason becker, gibert and friedman and for the speed they play its kind of the "thing" that i define play fast.
and my teacher said that i am already playing fast : < but for that one speed i "want" i must be patience and train.....and i will get there ....

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 15 2010, 06:59 PM
Instructor
You teacher is right mate, there is no way to get to great speeds in several weeks, people practice for years to achieve speed and precision.

In order to play fast, you have to be ultra precise. Only way to become precise is to practice everything on ultra slow tempos, and increase tempo VERY gradually, over a course of several weeks. Then wait some couple of weeks for muscle memory to settle in, and you will start to use what you practiced in your playing without thinking too much about it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2010, 05:56 PM
Instructor
One thing that I find very useful is staying relaxed all the time - and it does help with everything you do, not only playing guitar ; )

For instance, as you use your ears to judge your playing on a recorded material, use your eyes to study your movements in a mirror smile.gif
Once you analyze yourself thoroughly and see where your hands begin to feel tense, you'll know where your tension moment occurs.
That's when you have to pay attention to what your body tells you and focus on staying relaxed and in tempo.

Have you ever realized how uninterrupted and focused listening or watching to anything always gives you a better perspective on everything? You can't be able to get good at playing and observing yourself thoroughly, until you've mastered your instrument and you are able to just step outside of your body and watch yourself play - that takes years of practice but it can be done! (I wish I could do that tongue.gif )

You must do the same with your guitar playing as well, and never forget to listen to what your body tells you smile.gif
After you locate your problem, don't get to used to the mirror, or otherwise , in time, you won't be able to play without it (it feels like a safety net of some kind - trust me, I've been there biggrin.gif )

I hope this insight is useful, and if you need assistance drop me a line, this is what I'm here 4 wink.gif

good luck mate!

+Quote Post
Fre
Nov 17 2010, 06:17 PM
Learning Rock Star
Very cool replie cosmin.
Maybe Todd's lesson can help you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry473580

Good luck!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 17 2010, 06:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Fre @ Nov 17 2010, 05:17 PM) *
Very cool replie cosmin.
Maybe Todd's lesson can help you: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry473580

Good luck!

Thank you Fre! wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2010, 07:36 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
QUOTE (MonkeyDAthos @ Nov 14 2010, 06:26 PM) *
i found my problem .... for exemple, listen alot artists like petrucci , jason becker, gibert and friedman and for the speed they play its kind of the "thing" that i define play fast.
and my teacher said that i am already playing fast : < but for that one speed i "want" i must be patience and train.....and i will get there ....

Your teacher is right! It takes a lot of time and practice to achieve great speeds. What I would recommend is that you keep your practice log and write down tempo bpm which you mastered last. That way over period of time you will get a clear insight and "proof" of your progress. At first you will be making jumps but as you get up to speed, bpm increments will decrease to 1-2 bpm at a time. Stay on top of it and practice. You should also master one tempo and be confident at it before going to the faster one. Don't skip any steps towards your goal of fast alter picking!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
MonkeyDAthos
Nov 17 2010, 08:04 PM
Ty guys biggrin.gif really mean it

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 10:40 PM