2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Buying A New Guitar...
Davidian
Aug 18 2007, 04:31 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi GMC!

This is my second topic on the Gear-forum, and yes, and want to ask a second question.
I worked in the holidays, and I'll have earned ~1000€ (little more, but I try to save some)
(For the people in the USA: 1,000 Euro = 1,341.65 US Dollar)

And with that money, I'd like to buy a new guitar. But my question is: what would be an excellent choice for that amount of money?

Some more information: I very much like Ibanez (especially the Iceman!) and ESP (other brands are welcome too), and I like to play Metal, Rock, Punk and clean stuff every now and then.
What do you guys suggest?

Thanks in advance!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 18 2007, 04:37 AM
Moderation Policy Director
I'll make this suggestion just to get it out of the way smile.gif

Ibanez Prestige - for instance the RG2550e. Great for shred, amazing tremelo, hot pickups.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
stratman33
Aug 18 2007, 04:38 AM
GMC:er
I'd go for an ibanez rg prestige...a few hundred bucks under your price range, to.but they play like a thousand dollar guitar..the tremelo system is great, with the Edge Pro bridge.low action on the strings on basically all of them, and they're perfect for your music.

Ill post an example.....

Ibanez RG 2550E

--------------------

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 18 2007, 04:42 AM
This a really nice guitar! biggrin.gif
Might consider that.

More tips are welcome!

--------------------
Music is supposed to break down walls, smash through barriers; and free your mind!

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 18 2007, 11:44 AM
Really there are several choices in this price range. Do you perform? IF you perform do you mostly play Rhythm or Lead? How much versatility on the fly do you need? Trem or fixed bridge? Heavy or light? Flashy or vintage looking? Who do you want to sound like? etc...

For me I REALLY like Ibanez guitars but I will probably never buy one... because they are not the best choice for my play style and personal sound... Fenders are. For others it's Jacksons, or Gibsons, etc...

In that price range most brand guitars will be excellently built so I wouldn't worry too much about brand just what sound your looking for... and the only way to really know is to take an afternoon or a whole day down at your local guitar shop and play as many as you can. For most of us we eventually picked up that one guitar and knew within minutes it was the one. Good Luck!

Hardtail

--------------------

Beginner's Amp & Guitar Gear Guide
My Keeley Blues Driver BD-2 Review
My Line6 Flextone II Review

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 18 2007, 12:15 PM
My recommendation has to go to Schecter, they are my number 1, great for clean, awsome for metal. and Gorgious looking, read my gear review on my Exotic Star, Also its just about that price range, i don't care for ibanez even tho thats what everyone will say, sure they are good guitars, but they are soo mainstream now its a pitty to see everyone with them. Just my 2 cents smile.gif. If you wanna go really different try a 7 strings, they are great and you can get sum great 1's for that price!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
swingline
Aug 18 2007, 12:23 PM
I personally prefer Deans. I picked one up and it was like magic. You see you have multiple opinions so it is impossible to choose. Go to a Guitar Center (Or a similar store) and spend 3-5 hours trying out guitars. Find a nice amp (Or one that is similar to the one you own) and test many guitars. Try to use at least 2 to 3 different guitars from each company before counting it out. Guitars are highly personal so you have to make the call.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Aug 18 2007, 06:05 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Aug 18 2007, 04:44 AM) *
Really there are several choices in this price range. Do you perform? IF you perform do you mostly play Rhythm or Lead? How much versatility on the fly do you need? Trem or fixed bridge? Heavy or light? Flashy or vintage looking? Who do you want to sound like? etc...

For me I REALLY like Ibanez guitars but I will probably never buy one... because they are not the best choice for my play style and personal sound... Fenders are. For others it's Jacksons, or Gibsons, etc...

In that price range most brand guitars will be excellently built so I wouldn't worry too much about brand just what sound your looking for... and the only way to really know is to take an afternoon or a whole day down at your local guitar shop and play as many as you can. For most of us we eventually picked up that one guitar and knew within minutes it was the one. Good Luck!

Hardtail

+1.
Also don't just look at the big names or limit looking to ones in your price range. Try out different brands including ones you might not have heard of like Tom Anderson, Caparison, Suhr, Vintage, Musicman whatever: it's your choice what you play and you don't have to play the same as everyone else. The important bit is to buy the guitar that you want. Also try guitars that are 1/2 your budget and also double it - get an idea of what is value for money and why they cost different amounts. Do you really need to spend 1000euros or would you be happy with one at 500? Or is it worth your while saving a bit more and getting one at 1200euros, 2000euros, whatever?

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 18 2007, 08:01 PM
Instructor
Tony has right,as always. smile.gif

You should pursuit guitar by your needs,not that much by price.
Of course,having bigger amount of money shall make all a lot easier. wink.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 19 2007, 01:34 PM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Aug 18 2007, 01:05 PM) *
+1.
Also don't just look at the big names or limit looking to ones in your price range. Try out different brands including ones you might not have heard of like Tom Anderson, Caparison, Suhr, Vintage, Musicman whatever: it's your choice what you play and you don't have to play the same as everyone else. The important bit is to buy the guitar that you want. Also try guitars that are 1/2 your budget and also double it - get an idea of what is value for money and why they cost different amounts. Do you really need to spend 1000euros or would you be happy with one at 500? Or is it worth your while saving a bit more and getting one at 1200euros, 2000euros, whatever?
Cheers,
Tony

+1

And what Muris said about "needs" versus "price".

Hardtail

--------------------

Guitars: Martin D-16RGT with B-Band UST & '99 Fender "Big Apple" Hardtail HH Strat
Amps: Fender Blues Junior Special Edition & Fender Studio 85 (Simultaneous... yummy)

+Quote Post
Davidian
Aug 19 2007, 10:58 PM
Thanks guys!
This gives me a total different view on it!
I'll try to test some guitars next week ^^

I'll let you know how it was.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 20 2007, 01:53 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Aug 18 2007, 05:37 AM) *
I'll make this suggestion just to get it out of the way smile.gif

Ibanez Prestige - for instance the RG2550e. Great for shred, amazing tremelo, hot pickups.

I think two of us should stay out of these "new guitar" topics as our suggestion is as obvious as an answer to a question: "What should i do if i am hungry?" laugh.gif

Of course it's an Ibanez i will suggest biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 02:05 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 19 2007, 08:53 PM) *
I think two of us should stay out of these "new guitar" topics as our suggestion is as obvious as an answer to a question: "What should i do if i am hungry?" laugh.gif

Of course it's an Ibanez i will suggest biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif Yes, you are right - we are getting too predictable smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 20 2007, 02:45 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Davidian @ Aug 18 2007, 12:31 AM) *
Hi GMC!

This is my second topic on the Gear-forum, and yes, and want to ask a second question.
I worked in the holidays, and I'll have earned ~1000€ (little more, but I try to save some)
(For the people in the USA: 1,000 Euro = 1,341.65 US Dollar)

And with that money, I'd like to buy a new guitar. But my question is: what would be an excellent choice for that amount of money?

Some more information: I very much like Ibanez (especially the Iceman!) and ESP (other brands are welcome too), and I like to play Metal, Rock, Punk and clean stuff every now and then.
What do you guys suggest?
Thanks in advance!

My only suggestion would be to go to your local guitar shop and just a play a few differnt models until you find the one that suits you.

Little story:

I had my heart set on a Fender Strat which I hoped to buy while I was away on vacation. When I got to the shop that was holding one for me I just played around with it...loved it was gonna buy it but figured I'd try out some others since I was there. Next thing you know I have an Ibanez in my hand and love it 10 time more than the Fender. It was better suited for me with the slimmer neck profile and the action was just perfect. The salesman was an idiot and now I have no new guitar...and long for an Ibanez. I'm officially part of the dark side...thanks Andrew and Pavel.

Even though I had my mind made up it changed pretty quick after playing a few models. Just go and see what you like. It may cost more but it may cost less but you'll at least have what ya want.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 20 2007, 03:06 AM
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 19 2007, 08:45 PM) *
My only suggestion would be to go to your local guitar shop and just a play a few differnt models until you find the one that suits you.

Little story:

I had my heart set on a Fender Strat which I hoped to buy while I was away on vacation. When I got to the shop that was holding one for me I just played around with it...loved it was gonna buy it but figured I'd try out some others since I was there. Next thing you know I have an Ibanez in my hand and love it 10 time more than the Fender. It was better suited for me with the slimmer neck profile and the action was just perfect. The salesman was an idiot and now I have no new guitar...and long for an Ibanez. I'm officially part of the dark side...thanks Andrew and Pavel.

Even though I had my mind made up it changed pretty quick after playing a few models. Just go and see what you like. It may cost more but it may cost less but you'll at least have what ya want.

I agree, Ibanez guitars are a great choice for a woman.

+Quote Post
Pavel
Aug 20 2007, 03:38 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (rokchik @ Aug 20 2007, 03:45 AM) *
I'm officially part of the dark side...thanks Andrew and Pavel.

Welcome to the Dark Side! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 20 2007, 04:00 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Aug 19 2007, 10:38 PM) *
Welcome to the Dark Side! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Mwwwaaahhhahahahahaha! (Evil laugh in case you were wondering!)

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
chast
Aug 20 2007, 05:02 AM
Learning Roadie
You could look for some Framus guitars, but I dont know if they you have these in Belgium, because they are built in Germany and I dont know if they send it to other countries.

Here you can watch some videos for Framus-Guitars:
http://www.musik-schmidt.de/osc-schmidt/ca...eos.php?cPath=0

This post has been edited by chast: Aug 20 2007, 05:03 AM

--------------------
"They play it extremely fast, it doesn't make any sense, but it's Slayer so it makes a lot of sense" :)

+Quote Post
Hardtail
Aug 20 2007, 06:13 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Aug 19 2007, 10:06 PM) *
I agree, Ibanez guitars are a great choice for a woman.

I'm surprised this went unnoticed laugh.gif

Does the thinner neck help with small hands or something? tongue.gif

J/K

Hardtail

--------------------

+Quote Post
rokchik
Aug 20 2007, 10:22 AM
The Dark Canuck
QUOTE (Hardtail @ Aug 20 2007, 02:13 AM) *
I'm surprised this went unnoticed laugh.gif

Does the thinner neck help with small hands or something? tongue.gif

J/K

Hardtail

That's what I found Hardtail. The Strat was amazing...don't get me wrong. The tone of it was just beautiful. I will have one eventually but the particular one I played (American Strat) compared to the Ibanez...I believe the Ibanez was a RG42FX...just didn't feel right. With the Ibanez I was running through the fret board with ease. Scales up and down and some different riffs. It was like pressing buttons so smooth. The neck was a thinner profile than the Fender so I felt like I had better control. With the Fender I felt like I was stretching more and my hand got tired quicker. Ibanez would have been so far down on my list of guitar to get before this experience. I'm still in the market for a new guitar but want to research Ibanez more before deciding on a model. Totally changed my opinion of Ibanez.

This post has been edited by rokchik: Aug 20 2007, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 05:28 AM