What Songs/ Artist/ Or Bands Have Most Benifited Your Playing?
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 17 2009, 04:39 PM
GMC:er
This is just a little topic where we share what specific songs or albums from various artists or bands have helped are playing the most and why.

I am curious as to what people say and maybe we can get some some insight from the instructors as to how they developed there advanced technique.

I guess I will start it off to give you guys the idea.

Red Hot Chili Peppers- Under the Bridge This song helped me with my own songwriting because it gave me a type of structure to follow when trying to right a song and it was also cool to learn songs like this from my favorite band at the time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Eat-Sleep-andJam: Jul 17 2009, 04:40 PM

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 17 2009, 04:51 PM
Instructor
My favorite band of all times is Led Zeppelin. I had a huge inspiration to play and compose just by listening to their music. Later I discovered some more 70's rock legends and always wanted to make something similar. I am still using compositional skills based on those bands. I hate modern commercial rock from 2000 and after. Now when it comes to technique that's something different. Yngwie, Gilbert and Vinnie did ther job in my playing smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com
www.myspace.com/emirhotguitar
www.myspace.com/sevdahmetal

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 17 2009, 04:55 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
If we are talking lyrically I would have to say In Flames's Jester Race and Soundtrack to your Escape albums. The lyrics in these albums to me seem so very well thought out. It has a meaning and it makes me try to analize these lyrics and come up with my own meanings. This has showed through in my lyrics.

Guitar wise I'm not very good, the commitment to really practice came about a month ago so its a work in progress. Alot of my drive to play recently though has been due to artists like King's X were you can really tell they just have fun with what they do through their music and then I would also say In Flames because they have really showed me what it is to work hard on their music. The technicality in the guitar in many of their songs is insane.

I hope thats what you meant.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 17 2009, 05:01 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jul 17 2009, 08:55 AM) *
If we are talking lyrically I would have to say In Flames's Jester Race and Soundtrack to your Escape albums. The lyrics in these albums to me seem so very well thought out. It has a meaning and it makes me try to analize these lyrics and come up with my own meanings. This has showed through in my lyrics.

Guitar wise I'm not very good, the commitment to really practice came about a month ago so its a work in progress. Alot of my drive to play recently though has been due to artists like King's X were you can really tell they just have fun with what they do through their music and then I would also say In Flames because they have really showed me what it is to work hard on their music. The technicality in the guitar in many of their songs is insane.

I hope thats what you meant.

Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

Wasn't mentioning lyrics specifically, but now that you mention it. I just love Chris Cornell, Jason Mraz, and Jack Johnson when it comes to that stuff smile.gif

@ Emir- Did you just kind of develop your Balkan style influences on your own, or did you have any inspiration in that direction ?

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 17 2009, 05:13 PM
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 17 2009, 11:01 AM) *
Yeah thats exactly what I meant.

Wasn't mentioning lyrics specifically, but now that you mention it. I just love Chris Cornell, Jason Mraz, and Jack Johnson when it comes to that stuff smile.gif

@ Emir- Did you just kind of develop your Balkan style influences on your own, or did you have any inspiration in that direction ?

I could I forget Jason and Jack! They are two of my favorites, they bring such an upbeat attitude into my music.

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 17 2009, 05:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Eat-Sleep-andJam @ Jul 17 2009, 05:01 PM) *

Both. I've always liked scales that we use in traditional balkan music.

--------------------
Check out my <a href="https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/instructor/Emir-Hot" target="_blank">Instructor profile</a>

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 17 2009, 05:56 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Jul 17 2009, 09:13 AM) *
I could I forget Jason and Jack! They are two of my favorites, they bring such an upbeat attitude into my music.

Well if your looking for really good songwriting and you like Jason and Jack, I do recommend looking up some of Cornell's solo stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xvnBaxH78k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpiYfAiJVOY

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Jul 17 2009, 06:07 PM
I love Black hole sun its amazing song!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
Matt23
Jul 17 2009, 06:33 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Joe Satriani for me. His approach for writing instrumental songs has inspired me a lot.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 17 2009, 10:39 PM
Instructor
I always liked good old classic rock and blues, so these kind of artists influenced me the most.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 18 2009, 02:17 AM
Instructor
Hard to name one but lets say Toto,
those guys have been all around. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Jul 18 2009, 06:36 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
When I first started plaing it was Satch, Vai and Vito Bratta......I would still love to play like them some day. Then any kind of guitar idol died for me when Kurt Cobain came out. Then last year I found some new players to look up to. Muris, Emir and Andy James......

Someday I'll be able to play the damn guitar........ smile.gif

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Jul 18 2009, 07:16 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 18 2009, 01:36 AM) *
When I first started plaing it was Satch, Vai and Vito Bratta......I would still love to play like them some day. Then any kind of guitar idol died for me when Kurt Cobain came out. Then last year I found some new players to look up to. Muris, Emir and Andy James......

Monte, I look up to you so don't hang your head down. This makes me sad! sad.gif

You’re a great person, great player and I look forward to our chats and uploads. smile.gif

Playing like the fab 3 you mentioned takes time and patients. You’re a great player so just do what you do and give it some more time.

Relax and go back to having some fun,

Skillet smile.gif

PS: My future upload! Hope this put a smile on your face, it did for me! biggrin.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1DzRb4DHGw

This post has been edited by UncleSkillet: Jul 18 2009, 07:30 AM

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Emir Hot
Jul 18 2009, 12:26 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Jul 18 2009, 07:16 AM) *
Monte, I look up to you so don't hang your head down. This makes me sad! sad.gif

You’re a great person, great player and I look forward to our chats and uploads. smile.gif

Playing like the fab 3 you mentioned takes time and patients. You’re a great player so just do what you do and give it some more time.

I am expecting Monte soon to become well known player. I heard in GMC chat that he's doing an album. Can't wait to hear it. Even now he is ready to become a teacher as he's got some very cool stuff in playing to share.

--------------------

www.emirhot.com

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 18 2009, 01:17 PM
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Jul 17 2009, 10:36 PM) *

Your already a pretty good guitarist man.

I distinctly remember you being really good at legato, and whether you choose to admit it or not your good.

So like US said, don't consider yourself as a noobie, because then we feel even worse laugh.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Jul 18 2009, 05:58 PM
For metal, Jason Becker has done all the teaching. Play Perpetual Burn took me a long time, but when I achieved it, I learned a lot, not only technically, I also learned to think music and soloing in another way I used to think. For rock, play Bon Jovi's song helped me a lot. I learned to just have fun and play cool riffs. Sometimes, playing a headbanging riff is a lot better than just play 234598340958340985 notes per second. And what has revolutioned my mind was play Tango songs. It's something amazing.

This post has been edited by Santiago Diaz Garces: Jul 18 2009, 05:59 PM

+Quote Post
superize
Jul 19 2009, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
This is a hard one but i think that the person who has benefited my playing the most is Lian Gerbino.....

I have learned alot of things from his lesson

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Berglmir
Jul 20 2009, 07:44 AM
When I got my first (and up until now only) E-Guitar I was mainly trying to play along Mike Oldfield songs.
Starting with "Moonlight Shadow" and "To France" and then to the instumental covers of classical pieces like "Wilhelm Tell Overture" and so on.
Interesstingly enough we don´t have any lesson in the style of Mike Oldfield - strange! huh.gif

In the early 80ies I heard my first ZZ Top Song - I think it was Sleeping Bag - and I was blown away. BIIIG influence for me.

Of course I also tried to play some songs from Queen, Dire Straights and Gary Moore.

THX GMC in helping me to be a better guitarist and making me realize how much I still have to learn - looking forward to it! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jul 20 2009, 10:53 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I would say Beatles made a great influence on my songwriting and general musicianship...Playing songs from Red Hot Chili Peppers gave me a nice technique workout at the time!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Jul 20 2009, 11:55 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Tough question..

Anthrax and Faith No More for metal

Pogo Pops and Feeder for Pop

Dire Straits, Bruce Springsteen and Creedence for Rock

....I think biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:33 PM