Anxiety/alcohol And Guitar.., hope this is appropriate
enlo22
Dec 4 2012, 09:04 AM
Learning Guitar Hero
first of all i would like to say i hope this is appropriate for the site and i'm mostly posting this for advice on why is happens and how to fix it. also if it happens to other people as well... so usually when i drink tooo much i can't play at all, but tonight i drank enough to where i was buzzed but not too much.. ok so back to my point. 90 percent of the time i play guitar specially dealing with fast licks etc i get anxious and i can feel it, i know how to play it but my anxiety gets the best of me. so tonight i went back to this lick i was trying after drinking a few and realized it was very simple to play, my anxiety left and it just flew out of me... so does this happen often and how do you over come it, i have this problem with a lot of things but guitar is one of the biggerst ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcQ-uY2ziI...eature=youtu.be

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 4 2012, 10:09 AM
Instructor
Hey mate smile.gif I know how that feels, but it's not a good way to do it. Alcohol easily takes your inhibitions away and loosens up your limbs and brain, but it also prevents you from being perfectly conscious of what you are doing or playing.

I say, try to get to that point where you are comfortable with yourself without drinking anything smile.gif It's way more fun to be able to be in control rather than need 'a magic potion'. If you can do it, it means you can do it. Relax and all will be well. Anxiety usually appears when you are afraid - why are you afraid?

Do you need to prove your skills to anyone or is playing a part of your life, which you enjoy and it makes you feel awesome? Hope I could help and if you want to talk, please write me smile.gif

Cosmin

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 4 2012, 10:22 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hello Enlo!

This is a very good thread i think and at first your playing on vid sounds real cool and easy going ! rolleyes.gif

About the right feeling and anxiousness (had to google thew word )

i remember when i was younger and did drink the right amount - what means not to much or to little -
i got the real balanced feeling kind of just being yourself and feeling all more intensive and in a good mood

all problems cut off what ever kind of - Great moment.

Alcohol and other stuff can stimulate a lot in the right dose - but it is a danger too to get more into that easy
going one can loose control step by step !

Of course i had my experiences too with that things cool.gif

but i decided no STUFF like that anymore must get this good feeling somehow the natural way or more universal - how ever...

walking through the nature - watching , plants insects animals water wind fire people - without thinking about them

just feel it - became a great inspiration to me on the way to get a good more and more constant feeling without anxiousness. But this is just my way and an example !

The problems around keep on being the same and still the have to get managed but with an easy and with self confidently mind.

I am not a great guitarist right now tongue.gif but yes guitar playing gives me and i think everyone here a lot dry.gif

learning through others influence and inspiration cool and the moments just playing what one feels

WOW thats SPIRIT just PURE and worth to go for !!!

I am a old fan of Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin the lost the way somehow.....

Dieter

+Quote Post
Fran
Dec 4 2012, 11:36 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
As much as I love Beer, it's not the solution sad.gif
I hope it was though laugh.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 7 2012, 04:43 AM
GMC:er
I hear ya, BUT. If you can get there with a bit of booze, you can get there without it. The booze is just masking your feeling/fear. It's still there. The booze becomes a crutch, QUICK. Be VERY VERY careful heading down this road. It can lead to a bad place. Try finding ways of getting to that same state without booze. Meditation/workout/breathing exercises etc.

Todd

QUOTE (enlo22 @ Dec 4 2012, 03:04 AM) *
first of all i would like to say i hope this is appropriate for the site and i'm mostly posting this for advice on why is happens and how to fix it. also if it happens to other people as well... so usually when i drink tooo much i can't play at all, but tonight i drank enough to where i was buzzed but not too much.. ok so back to my point. 90 percent of the time i play guitar specially dealing with fast licks etc i get anxious and i can feel it, i know how to play it but my anxiety gets the best of me. so tonight i went back to this lick i was trying after drinking a few and realized it was very simple to play, my anxiety left and it just flew out of me... so does this happen often and how do you over come it, i have this problem with a lot of things but guitar is one of the biggerst ones...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCcQ-uY2ziI...eature=youtu.be

+Quote Post
ConnorGilks
Dec 7 2012, 05:41 AM
I would highly recommend you stop that now. It's not a good habit and can lead to worse things very quickly without you even noticing. I never condone any sort of substance before a show. No drugs, no alcohol, not even a little bit. It's just my own thing I suppose, but the reasons for it should be obvious. It's just a bad idea to associate something that's generally bad for you with something you enjoy a lot, and you need to take care of yourself. smile.gif

You just need to face your fears. Everyone else has done it without alcohol, you will too. It may take a few screw ups, but that's okay. It's progress!

This post has been edited by ConnorGilks: Dec 7 2012, 05:43 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 7 2012, 06:59 AM
Hey, I live with anxiety, I've done for about 8 years ever since my dad died. But I have never used alcohol as a solution I've thought about a lot of things like drugs, etc, since it would just be nice to have it gone, but I want to tackle the problem naturally and don't use any sort of bad drugs to 'fix it' since it'll only fix it temporarily & then next time you'll need to use alcohol to 'fix it' it again, where as you can use another process that will seem a lot harder, since you'll actually be fighting against your anxiety and trying to conquer it, where as alcohol just puts it to 'sleep' for the time being, but the problem is that you can then also become an alcoholic (like my dad).

But think about anxiety like a huge monster that wants to kill you, and alcohol can put it to sleep, but you can also take the long and hard battle and fight it your self and then get the reward. Since I also believe that alcohol will give you more anxiety when you're sober, etc. And then you need alcohol to fix that, and then it becomes a vicious cycle.

Rock on!

Tobias

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 7 2012, 09:56 AM
Instructor
The conclusion is - Alcohol is NOT a solution. It should be regarded as what it is - an ingredient in various drinks which you can enjoy if you eat out or you're with your friends and in a dose which will not transform you into a clown or make your folks/ friends carry you home like you are dead already.

Balance is necessary in every situation and activity, so keeping this in mind will never get you into trouble. Nevertheless when you want to play the guitar, use music as your stimulus smile.gif It's only for the best!

+Quote Post
Slavenko Erazer
Dec 7 2012, 10:18 AM
Don't use Alcohol, Drink BEER!!!

\,,,/_

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Dec 8 2012, 01:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Slavenko Erazer @ Dec 7 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Don't use Alcohol, Drink BEER!!!

\,,,/_

Oh, so beer is not alcohol in yer book, Slav? laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Dec 8 2012, 02:16 PM
Learning Apprentice Player

@Cosmin

In Serbia beer is water and the brew the beer out of river water what gives the special taste biggrin.gif

Dieter

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:01 PM