Line 6 And Vista 64 Bit
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 03:08 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi, I just bought a new HP HDX series laptop with Vista 64 OS. I can't get my POD XT Live to make a sound through it sad.gif

I can see in the sound settings that the "bars" that show volume move when I play so sound is defenitly coming through both the mic input and the USB device (although the USB device is very low volume) but neither of them will come out through the speakers.

I am totally new at Vista so I am probably doing something wrong since I can see the sound coming to the laptop sad.gif

Anyone have a clue on what I might be doing wrong?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
ESP Eclipse I CTM Snow White
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Epiphone Thunderbird Goth Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Behringer BEQ700 Equalizer
Harley Benton PT-100 stagetuner
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Skewlbuzz
Jun 2 2009, 03:24 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
You'll need to set the POD as deafult playback device (in the sound options, if the software doesn't have the ability to this for itself)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Skewlbuzz: Jun 2 2009, 03:26 PM

--------------------

Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard 2008
Fender Squier '51

---------------------
Amp(like):
Blackstar Series One 45
Line6 POD Studio UX1
Marshall MG15CDR

---------------------
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
DigiTech Whammy
Z.Vex Fuzz Factory
Dunlop MXR Carbon Copy

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 04:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Skewlbuzz @ Jun 2 2009, 04:24 PM) *
You'll need to set the POD as deafult playback device (in the sound options, if the software doesn't have the ability to this for itself)

Ok, thanks"

I tried that (now) and it didnt work. At least not so I can get sound from the PC. I DO get PC sound and guitar sound via headphones from the POD but not from the PC (which is what I want since thats where the "good" sound is)

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 2 2009, 05:02 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
At the moment you seem to use your POD as external soundcard for both, input and output. Try to change your settings to use the POD only for input and your internal soundcard for output. Other option can be to connect the speaker to your POD, depends which soundcard gives better results.

I don't know how to configure this on vista, but maybe this helps a bit .. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 2 2009, 05:53 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jun 2 2009, 05:41 PM) *
Ok, thanks"

I tried that (now) and it didnt work. At least not so I can get sound from the PC. I DO get PC sound and guitar sound via headphones from the POD but not from the PC (which is what I want since thats where the "good" sound is)

Actually, it´s this what is right. I use a POD UX1 and I only get sound through my headphones which I connect to this audio device. If you want to get sound through your speakers, you need to buy monitoring speakers or an item that you put at the end of the cable which transforms the size of the ending (don´t know what it´s called) and connect your speakers to your POD.

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 06:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jun 2 2009, 06:53 PM) *
Actually, it´s this what is right. I use a POD UX1 and I only get sound through my headphones which I connect to this audio device. If you want to get sound through your speakers, you need to buy monitoring speakers or an item that you put at the end of the cable which transforms the size of the ending (don´t know what it´s called) and connect your speakers to your POD.

No I don't smile.gif Atleast I shouldn't have to. It works perfectly the way I want it on my XP machine. I can choose between going via line or via USB from the POD and play it directly out from the soundcard on the PC.

When recording in cubase I do have to listen to the headphones because of latency issues but not for just jamming to backtracks or lessons.

It should defenitly be possible, but I cant get it to work on this comp, I blame my total newbieness in Vista...

QUOTE (wrk @ Jun 2 2009, 06:02 PM) *
At the moment you seem to use your POD as external soundcard for both, input and output. Try to change your settings to use the POD only for input and your internal soundcard for output. Other option can be to connect the speaker to your POD, depends which soundcard gives better results.

I don't know how to configure this on vista, but maybe this helps a bit .. smile.gif

Yeah, I used the POD as external for input first, it didnt work at all.

I want the sound from the computer, not the pod, so I can have better control over audio from the computer.

And I have no patience with these kinds of things hehe

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 2 2009, 06:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jun 2 2009, 07:25 PM) *
Yeah, I used the POD as external for input first, it didnt work at all.

I want the sound from the computer, not the pod, so I can have better control over audio from the computer.

And I have no patience with these kinds of things hehe

Didn't liked it ether to use the POD as soundcard.
I hope a vista master will pass by soon to help you out .. good luck smile.gif

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 2 2009, 07:06 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jun 2 2009, 07:25 PM) *
No I don't smile.gif Atleast I shouldn't have to. It works perfectly the way I want it on my XP machine. I can choose between going via line or via USB from the POD and play it directly out from the soundcard on the PC.

When recording in cubase I do have to listen to the headphones because of latency issues but not for just jamming to backtracks or lessons.

It should defenitly be possible, but I cant get it to work on this comp, I blame my total newbieness in Vista...

So, you don´t link the POD to the PC´s USB cart, but you connect it to the soundcard?

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 07:14 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jun 2 2009, 08:06 PM) *
So, you don´t link the POD to the PC´s USB cart, but you connect it to the soundcard?

I do both. For recording I (On the XP machine) switch the soundcard OUT to the POD for monitoring via the headphones and sound IN from the POD aswell. For just playing and jamming I connect it to the mic in port (on the XP machine it was line in, dunno if that is possible on this machine) and I also use USB as ingoing with the PC speaker as outgoing.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 2 2009, 07:20 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jun 2 2009, 08:14 PM) *
I do both. For recording I (On the XP machine) switch the soundcard OUT to the POD for monitoring via the headphones and sound IN from the POD aswell. For just playing and jamming I connect it to the mic in port (on the XP machine it was line in, dunno if that is possible on this machine) and I also use USB as ingoing with the PC speaker as outgoing.

Ok, thanks. It´s not possible for me. I can´t switch my POD to the soundcard.

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 07:24 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Tolek @ Jun 2 2009, 08:20 PM) *
Ok, thanks. It´s not possible for me. I can´t switch my POD to the soundcard.

Neither can I it seems smile.gif

For now I would be happy just getting the mic in to work....

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jun 2 2009, 08:36 PM
GMC:er
Vista is just just umm a pile of .... anyways... If you can't use WinXP SP3 or Win7 then...

Ensure all your hardware is compatible with Vista.

Update your bios chipset and software to the latest version - some previous version of the bios, sound card, etc will cause major issues with Vista. Also have the latest service pack.

Make sure POD XT drivers are compatible. Line 6 offers PODxt 64bit drivers for the Vista Operating system now I believe.

If all else fails Install a VM (Virtual Machine) manager, install 32-bit XP as a guest OS, install the driver for your POD XT in the guest OS, and use it.

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jun 2 2009, 08:39 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
AFAIK the pod xt doesn't recognise XP 64 bit/have a suitable 64 bit driver Koopid.

However it may be worth checking the Line 6 site to see if they've released one recently.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 2 2009, 09:41 PM
Learning Roadie
But it doesnt have to recognize the POD, the POD drivers has nothing to do with it (or shouldn't at least)

It only has to take an audio signal from the mic input and make it come out through the speakers.

My problem is monitoring the sound. The sound comes in, both via the USB and the mic input. I can see the "staples" moving when I play. I just cant make it come out. Media player and other things I can play no problems. But the recorded audio is silent. It is as it was muted. I can see there is a signal but it wont come out.

I can also use the POD as a soundcard if I monitor from the POD. Meaning I can play music on my laptop and make it come out on the POD and jam that way. But that is not the way I want it..

EDIT: The POD does have vista 64 bit drivers btw

This post has been edited by Koopid: Jun 2 2009, 09:41 PM

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 3 2009, 07:10 AM
Learning Roadie
So

Thanks for all the help, I am sure most of the ideas would have worked on another computer. It seems the problem is that it is a HP Vista laptop with IDT soundcard.

HP has, for some unknown reason, decided to disable the option to unmute the microphone monitoring function. I can solve it by doing the following steps:

1. Turning the option to unmute back ON in the registry. /restart
2. Uninstalling all the drivers for the soundcard. /restart
3. Installing an earlier version of the driver. /restart
4. Make all the settings needed (unmute and stuff like that) plus some other settings not usually needed.
5. Every time I want to monitor my mic I have to open a little miniwindow with the volume controls. (It doesnt work if this program runs in the tray, it has nothing to do with mic and there are no controls for recording in the miniwindow but if I want sound, this is what I have to do)
6. Every time I restart my comp I have to redo some of the steps in point 4.

Now, I only did part 1, the option did turn up but no sound, just as the little tutorial said it would. I just bought this computer (got it on monday) and since I have the option to send it back within 2 weeks that is what I am going to do, with the promise to never buy HP again. If I didn't have the option to send it back it would be worth doing all those steps but not when I still have the option to buy a brand that will just work.

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
wrk
Jun 3 2009, 08:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Man, why things aren't easy .. huh.gif

What about to consider to get an external soundcard, which is more specialized for music production/recording?
Internal standard soundcards have some limits. You work with cubase, a good soundcard can be the solution for your latency issues as well.

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 11 2009, 07:18 PM
Learning Roadie
I went for a mac instead smile.gif

Just came home with a brand new macbook pro.. see how it works for me......

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post
Tolek
Jun 11 2009, 07:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Koopid @ Jun 11 2009, 08:18 PM) *
I went for a mac instead smile.gif

Just came home with a brand new macbook pro.. see how it works for me......

Cool to hear. smile.gif Let us know if it works. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jun 12 2009, 12:21 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't know, I would just connect the speakers to POD and have all the PC's sound go through the POD. POD is an external sound card which is much better then the internal sound cards we find in our PC's , Laptops ....Then to have all windows sounds going through pod, go to control panel>sound devices and select POD as your primary playback device.

Cheers

This post has been edited by Bogdan Radovic: Jun 12 2009, 12:21 PM

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Koopid
Jun 12 2009, 04:42 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Jun 12 2009, 01:21 PM) *
I don't know, I would just connect the speakers to POD and have all the PC's sound go through the POD. POD is an external sound card which is much better then the internal sound cards we find in our PC's , Laptops ....Then to have all windows sounds going through pod, go to control panel>sound devices and select POD as your primary playback device.

Cheers

Yeah, I suppose you're right. However I doubt I could get the rest of the family to get used to having to turn on the pod every time they want to listen to music smile.gif

--------------------
Gear
Amp
Marshall 1960A cab
Guitars
Jackson SLSMG
Takamine EG320C
Bass
Effects/Stomps
Boss SD1
Boss MT2 Metalzone
Dunlop Zack Wylde Wah
Studio EQ
PodXT Live
Edirol FA 66 soundcard
Yamaha HS50M monitors
Macbook pro

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 11:57 PM