5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Marek "gorim" Thread, Uploads and Discussion
lcsdds
Feb 28 2009, 12:31 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Marek,
I am wanting to solo over a C mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options?

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this?

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks Marek. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Feb 28 2009, 12:42 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Here is the exercise I had to finish. I will dive into the theory stuff later, although I don't know if I will be able to learn "so much" now... My mind is burned after all these exams I had. Will try still.
Attached File  exercise2.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 180

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Feb 28 2009, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Feb 28 2009, 12:42 PM) *
Here is the exercise I had to finish. I will dive into the theory stuff later, although I don't know if I will be able to learn "so much" now... My mind is burned after all these exams I had. Will try still.
Attached File  exercise2.mp3 ( 1.15MB ) Number of downloads: 180

Hi Marek,
Thanks for the update mp3. The triplets you did were more like three 16th notes. The three notes in a triplet should be evenly spaced. Do you understand? If not I will try to explain a little more. Do you have the ability to listen to a guitar pro file?

Don't worry about the theory stuff. Delve into it when you get a chance. I am just wanting you to start thinking about it. Let me know if you understand the triplet comment. Good job marek, just need to work a little more on your timing. smile.gif

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Feb 28 2009, 01:53 PM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Feb 28 2009, 08:24 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
I understand, I actually didn't know why I played it the way I did:P It was something like "ding ding ding - darn wrong, try againg - ding ding ding - bah wrong again - ding ding ding - hmm bit better, enough" tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 1 2009, 11:13 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Marek check out this thread:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry347187

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 2 2009, 01:25 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Hi Monte! Sorry for the delay, I had a bad day yesteday... Not that this day is better, but I have found some time, so here is a video of me playing Trond's lesson. It is my first take, and there are some mistakes, but as I am quite nervous ( can be seen on the video also.. ) and it shows perfectly how pathetic my hammer-ons are I decided not to record another one. One of my "not so long, nor short" goals is to have many lessons recorded in their full speed and posted on Youtube, so hopefully there will be a better take on the lesson recorded in the future...

I think that the hammer ons are most problematic, pull offs don't require strength to "bash" the fret in order to make it sound, and the strength is what I lack... Anyway that is what I suspect, I am likely to be mistaken.. Sometimes it sounds bit better, but I must focus on using "extra strength". Otherwise I can "hit" the right spots with my fingers, but it won't sound anything good...

THE LICK PROBLEM/IMPROVISATION PROBLEM
I know it will sound stupid, but I never understood what a lick is... Because of that I never learned "certain licks" and so I also haven't improvised at all.

For example this part of the tab of Marcus Siepen - Pentatonic Solo lesson. Starting from the e-string 5-8-5 run, I don't know if the lick is just 4 notes, or maybe the lick is the whole bunch of notes from 5-8-5 up to 7-7 on the A string...

e|-------------------------------------------------5-8-5---5-----------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------8---8-5-8-5---5-----|
G|--5----------5-----7--5-----5--------------------------------------7---7---|
D|-----7---7------7--------7------7--5--7---5--------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------7-----------------------------|
E|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|----------------------------------------------------------------/12--------|
B|--------------------------10--10--10-8--10---8-10--10---8-10-8-------------|
G|--5-7-5---5----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------7---7-5-7-5--------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------7-7----------------------------------------------------|

THEORY
I will try to read all the topics/posts about it as You adviced, although as I wrote earlier, my theory knowledge is non-existing and it is hard for me to even learn "much" of it at once, anyway will try my best. I feel guilty already about being the slowest responder sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 02:16 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 2 2009, 01:25 PM) *
Hi Monte! Sorry for the delay, I had a bad day yesteday... Not that this day is better, but I have found some time, so here is a video of me playing Trond's lesson. It is my first take, and there are some mistakes, but as I am quite nervous ( can be seen on the video also.. ) and it shows perfectly how pathetic my hammer-ons are I decided not to record another one. One of my "not so long, nor short" goals is to have many lessons recorded in their full speed and posted on Youtube, so hopefully there will be a better take on the lesson recorded in the future...

I think that the hammer ons are most problematic, pull offs don't require strength to "bash" the fret in order to make it sound, and the strength is what I lack... Anyway that is what I suspect, I am likely to be mistaken.. Sometimes it sounds bit better, but I must focus on using "extra strength". Otherwise I can "hit" the right spots with my fingers, but it won't sound anything good...

THE LICK PROBLEM/IMPROVISATION PROBLEM
I know it will sound stupid, but I never understood what a lick is... Because of that I never learned "certain licks" and so I also haven't improvised at all.

For example this part of the tab of Marcus Siepen - Pentatonic Solo lesson. Starting from the e-string 5-8-5 run, I don't know if the lick is just 4 notes, or maybe the lick is the whole bunch of notes from 5-8-5 up to 7-7 on the A string...

e|-------------------------------------------------5-8-5---5-----------------|
B|-------------------------------------------------------8---8-5-8-5---5-----|
G|--5----------5-----7--5-----5--------------------------------------7---7---|
D|-----7---7------7--------7------7--5--7---5--------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------7-----------------------------|

e|----------------------------------------------------------------/12--------|
B|--------------------------10--10--10-8--10---8-10--10---8-10-8-------------|
G|--5-7-5---5----------------------------------------------------------------|
D|--------7---7-5-7-5--------------------------------------------------------|
A|--------------------7-7----------------------------------------------------|

THEORY
I will try to read all the topics/posts about it as You adviced, although as I wrote earlier, my theory knowledge is non-existing and it is hard for me to even learn "much" of it at once, anyway will try my best. I feel guilty already about being the slowest responder sad.gif

I'll answer back in more detail shortly Marek. Don't worry about your theory knowledge. Read what I have wrote so far and then get on the General discussion thread and start firing questions. We will ALL help you. It really isn't that hard, you just haven't been exposed to it so you think it is knowledge that you can't grasp. Read my postings in the main thread and then ANYTHING you don't understand start asking questions. We won't know what to help you with unless you ask questions and let us know what you don't understand. wink.gif

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 2 2009, 03:51 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hey Marek-

Sorry for chiming in here but I can at least tell you what has been helping me regarding the hammers/pulloffs.

Repetition is key here. Right Monte? tongue.gif I think you should concentrate on what Monte is having us do. Pick the A ionian box and just run up and down the scale with your drumbeat/kazbox. You have to develop the strength to do this correctly. Counting will also help you improve this too.

I can also maybe recomend trying a different posture while your playing?
Also when you play it almost seems like your doing homework. Get into it! Stick your toungue out. Nod your haead. Tap your foot. Make stupid facial expressions like I do. THos can also help your accent your feeling and communicate better with yuor axe.

I'm having problems with Pull-offs. Monte recomended a procedure call "Pre-fretting" the note which has helped tremendously. If you interested I can explain more. Need to see you play the A Ionian Box to see if you are already doing it or not.

Keep going man!

This post has been edited by opeth.db: Mar 2 2009, 03:52 PM

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 2 2009, 04:01 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Opeth.db no problem about You posting in this thread at all, nice to see You here!:)

You advice me to run the scale up and down doing hammer ons / pull offs? It will surely help and I will do more of these, but we all know that such exercises aren't to exciting:P

When it comes to my posture, I play bit differently when I am not recording myself, but when I am recording I have to put some more stuff like books on my chair, as otherwise I am sitting to low for the camera to see the lower part of the guitar:P So while playing without the camera, the posture is bit better. And when it comes to my facial expression, I am so angry that my face is visible at all:D If I could hide it, I would let myself to "express" more;)

I don't know what pre-fretting is, I would gladly hear about it. I suspect that it has something to do with placing fingers above the fret in advance of fretting it, but don't know:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
opeth.db
Mar 2 2009, 04:06 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 2 2009, 10:01 AM) *
Opeth.db no problem about You posting in this thread at all, nice to see You here!:)

You advice me to run the scale up and down doing hammer ons / pull offs? It will surely help and I will do more of these, but we all know that such exercises aren't to exciting:P

How you think I feel? I been playing for 20+ years and the first thing Monte tells me is that you need to learn how to count and play this exercise>!! laugh.gif

QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 2 2009, 10:01 AM) *
I don't know what pre-fretting is, I would gladly hear about it. I suspect that it has something to do with placing fingers above the fret in advance of fretting it, but don't know:)

Thats exactly what it is. Mainly for pull offs though. Its hard to expain but you are correct. I will do a video later for you so you can see what I am doing. smile.gif

--------------------
My Gear
Ibanez RG570 Silver
Jackson Ofset V Randy Rhodes Signature
Mitchell Acoustic
Custom Ibanez S series (Currently working on)
X2 XDS95 Digital Wireless system
Line 6 MKII
8 Channel USB Roland Mixer

My Site
www.shredwork.com

Learn how to count. It's what separates the hack and the pros IMHO. -LCSDDS

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 04:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker

This is true Marek, these excercises are boring. I am not advocating that you run the scale for 15-20 min. 5 min a day in a VERY FOCUSED manner will do the trick. Ask Opeth.db. The key is consistency and this is why you need a routine. There are two kinds of practice routines. One is where you sit down and play a little of this, then play a little of that, basically noodling but not really focusing on any one thing. If you want to make real progress you need a routine that you do as often as possible. It doesn't need to be 10 hours a day, 1-2 hours is plenty. Even 30 min of FOCUSED practice can get you great gains.

Marek tell me how much time you can realistically dedicate to practice a day and I can spell out a FOCUSED routine for you to work on. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 2 2009, 04:17 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
QUOTE (lcsdds @ Feb 28 2009, 12:31 PM) *
Hi Marek,
I am wanting to solo over a C mixolydian chord progression. From reading the posts I did in the main thread can you answer the following questions please?

1) Is this a Major or Minor mode?
Major

2) What is it's scale of comparison to figure out my chord options?
Ionian

3) What are my diatonic scale options for soloing over this?
F Ionian -- don't understand that, just used the table You gave us.

4) What are my pentatonic scale options for soloing over this?
C Pentatonic Major

Use the chart I gave you to figure these out. Thanks Marek. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 04:19 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Good job Marek!! 100%!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 2 2009, 04:29 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Thanks Dan:)

Monte, behold! This is my "daily plan".

Monday: If not seeing friends I can find much time for practicing, but my stamina won't let me to practice more than two hours most probably.

Tuesday: horrible day, I get up, go to work, than to the university and am back at 8-8.30 pm.. So finding any real motivation can be hard, so lets say 30-60 minutes of practicing.

Wednesday: at the university from 2 pm to 8 pm. 60 minutes sounds right. Can be more, but I rather write the "lower limit".

Thursday: not known yet... Most probably will be back home 4 pm.
Friday: back at 12 am.
Weekend - well, differs.

Okay the list wasn't necessary... All in all, we can say that I have 1 hour per day for practicing, although one day it can be 30 minutes and another one 2 hours. Also if I am in "practicing mood" I will find some more time most probably. Lack of playing stamina makes playing more than 3 hours bit dangerous for my hands:P

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 2 2009, 06:04 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 2 2009, 04:29 PM) *
Thanks Dan:)

Monte, behold! This is my "daily plan".

Monday: If not seeing friends I can find much time for practicing, but my stamina won't let me to practice more than two hours most probably.

Tuesday: horrible day, I get up, go to work, than to the university and am back at 8-8.30 pm.. So finding any real motivation can be hard, so lets say 30-60 minutes of practicing.

Wednesday: at the university from 2 pm to 8 pm. 60 minutes sounds right. Can be more, but I rather write the "lower limit".

Thursday: not known yet... Most probably will be back home 4 pm.
Friday: back at 12 am.
Weekend - well, differs.

Okay the list wasn't necessary... All in all, we can say that I have 1 hour per day for practicing, although one day it can be 30 minutes and another one 2 hours. Also if I am in "practicing mood" I will find some more time most probably. Lack of playing stamina makes playing more than 3 hours bit dangerous for my hands:P

That is fine Marek. We are gonna mostly focus on the Trond piece then, although I am gonna give you some excercises I want you to do every time you practice for warm-up. The key is doing everything the same way consitently to make some good progress. I'll get back to you on this shortly. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 2 2009, 06:40 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Sure:) I can use some warm up exercises, as most of the time I am doing the ones from Marcus Siepen lesson about warm-ups and sometimes run the pentatonic scale up and down in all the boxes.

There is a "good" legato "lick" ( as I said not sure what a lick is ) in Marcus Siepen - Pentatonic Solo lesson, here is the tab:
e|--/12--10--8--10-----------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13--|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
D|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
A|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-13--12----12--------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------14-----14-13-14----|

But this one involves the pinky, and that is even more killer for me than Trond's one. Or in other words, this one is out of my reach now, still can try to practice it on some ultra shred speed like 50 bpm..smile.gif

Also in pentatonic major scale, there are 5 boxes, I assume that the situation with lydian scale is more less the same?

We are supposed to solo in D lydian, so this will be "one box" , but it doesn't look so organized as "have here child, 5 pentatonic boxes, learn these" wink.gif
e|-----------------------------------------------------------12-14-16-----------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------12-14-15------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------11-13-14--------------------------------------|
D|------------------------11-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------11-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--10-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Also do You thing checking out some Lydian based lesson is a good idea considering what we are supposed to do?
For example these two made by Muris the Mighty: first second

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Mar 2 2009, 06:49 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 12:28 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 2 2009, 06:40 PM) *
Sure:) I can use some warm up exercises, as most of the time I am doing the ones from Marcus Siepen lesson about warm-ups and sometimes run the pentatonic scale up and down in all the boxes.

There is a "good" legato "lick" ( as I said not sure what a lick is ) in Marcus Siepen - Pentatonic Solo lesson, here is the tab:
e|--/12--10--8--10-----------------------------------------------------------|
B|--------------------12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13--|
G|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|

e|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
B|-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-17-13-12-13-13--12----12--------------|
G|--------------------------------------------------------14-----14-13-14----|

But this one involves the pinky, and that is even more killer for me than Trond's one. Or in other words, this one is out of my reach now, still can try to practice it on some ultra shred speed like 50 bpm..smile.gif

Also in pentatonic major scale, there are 5 boxes, I assume that the situation with lydian scale is more less the same?

We are supposed to solo in D lydian, so this will be "one box" , but it doesn't look so organized as "have here child, 5 pentatonic boxes, learn these" wink.gif
e|-----------------------------------------------------------12-14-16-----------------------------|
B|-----------------------------------------------12-14-15------------------------------------------|
G|------------------------------------11-13-14--------------------------------------|
D|------------------------11-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------|
A|------------11-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------|
E|--10-12-14-----------------------------------------------------------------------|

Also do You thing checking out some Lydian based lesson is a good idea considering what we are supposed to do?
For example these two made by Muris the Mighty: first second

Marek,
Look at the tab with the diatonic and pentatonic scales and the Triads. I want you to know all the triads and the First 3 positions of the A major scale. The Ionian, Dorian and Phrygian positions. Then I want you to know the 1st, 2nd and 5th position of the F# minor pentatonic scale.

The scale you tabbed is just the Lydian position of the A major scale, don't worry about this shape just yet. Do you understand that all these positions/boxes contain the exact same notes, just arranged in a different shape? This is important for to understand. smile.gif

Marek I think you learning Muris's Lydian serial is a great idea. I have Jer and Opeth working on it as well. I'll send you a tab tomorrow with it broken up into licks. Once you get the licks memorized you should be able to go over half of it in about 30 min, so if you work on half one night and half the next you should be able to make some good progress. smile.gif

After I get you the tab I'll go into more detail about how I want you to practice it specifically. Thanks dude!!

This post has been edited by lcsdds: Mar 3 2009, 05:49 AM

+Quote Post
Marek Rojewski
Mar 3 2009, 03:11 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Cool I had a good idea:P I am still waiting for the exercises/plan ideas You said me to wait for:)

--------------------

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 03:22 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Marek Rojewski @ Mar 3 2009, 03:11 PM) *
Cool I had a good idea:P I am still waiting for the exercises/plan ideas You said me to wait for:)

I'll get them to you today buddy. wink.gif

Check out the Lydian thread on the board Marek. I gave you an assignment. wink.gif

+Quote Post
lcsdds
Mar 3 2009, 06:44 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Hi Marek,
I am gonna have Opeth (Dan) stopping by to make sure you are up to speed with the rest of us on the theory. As far as your excercises I am gonna have you just run the Diatonic Boxes in 8th note triplets using hammer's and pulls at a slow comfortable tempo with the Kaz-Box to get you started. I want you to do this for 5 min a day WITH THE KAZ-BOX. I want to see an upload of you doing this please. The other thing I want you to do is to concentrate on learning your Major and Minor Triad shapes. 5 min/day on this as well. The rest of the time I want you to concentrate on the Lydian serial and the group assignments. Thanks dude!! smile.gif

Dan....Help him out with the pre-fretting to get his pulloffs smooth!! Thanks!! smile.gif

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 10:38 PM