2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Video Lesson: Recording With Reaper, Making recordings of your riffs/licks
Rating 4 V
DeepRoots
May 4 2008, 12:02 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Hello GMCers!

My name is Jordan Perks and I live in South Wales in the UK. I'm 18 years old and have been playing guitar since my 15th birthday. I enjoy hiking when i'm not playing guitar- also training for the London marathon.

As some of you know- i have a cool party trick smile.gif

Now, on to guitar. I love guitarists like John Petrucci, Paul Gilbert, Guthrie Govan and Joe Satriani. My goal as a guitarist is to blend their styles together to create "my own" sound.

Well then; on to the lesson!

There are quite a few people who post on the forum saying they are "unsure how to record" or "don't know what they're doing" when it comes to sharing the licks/riffs they've written.
This lesson should clear things up for those people.

Note: this is not a comprehensive demonstration of everything you can do with Reaper, however it should allow anybody who has the hardware to record the ability to use Reaper to share what they've written with the forum.

Reaper is an inexpensive DAW that has an unlimited trial version. No limitations in functions or time.

You can download Reaper here: http://reaper.fm/

This lesson follows through these stages, to ensure you know you don't miss any stages setting up to record:

- Setting up Audio Device
- Adding a new track/arming for recording
- Checking audio input level
- Recording
- Tidying up our recording
- Rendering

The audio device i'm using is the KORG Pandora PX5d. There are many devices you can use, Line 6 have a great range for starting out with recording, check through the forum for details on that.

I make a reference to Tony's advice to setting An input recording level, which can be found here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=7635

and be sure to have a look through the rest of the topics here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...hp?showforum=74 (be sure to read through those once you've got the basics of my lesson done)

Now....when you're ready and have installed Reaper, open my lesson!

Attached File  Recording_with_reaper.wmv ( 12.75MB ) Number of downloads: 5329

Note: The video did not run with VLC media player when i tested, but instead worked well with Windows Media Player.

Enjoy the no-nonsense/fast approach to recording your licks!

My next lesson will be about using MIDI to make drums and bass lines.

-Jordan

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
audiopaal
May 4 2008, 10:13 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Nice lesson, I think this should be helpful for a lot of people smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SamJ
May 4 2008, 10:41 PM
GMC:er
Great lesson Jordan! I'm looking forward to your MIDI bass + drum lesson as well! smile.gif

Thanks.

+Quote Post
skennington
May 4 2008, 11:16 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Sam Hook @ May 4 2008, 05:41 PM) *
Great lesson Jordan! I'm looking forward to your MIDI bass + drum lesson as well! smile.gif

Thanks.

Me too!! And could you through some keys in there as well? tongue.gif Seriously, great topic for a lesson man, and well explained!

+Quote Post
Jad Diab
May 4 2008, 11:19 PM
Instructor (former GMCer Zizi Top)
cool lesson man

--------------------
I endorse Sp custom pickups

Check out some of my work :
Youtube
GMC lessons
Myspace

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 4 2008, 11:29 PM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks all! I'll try and get that MIDI basics lesson done soonish wink.gif

+Quote Post
Gus
May 4 2008, 11:39 PM
Nice lesson and clear explanation!

I am gonna download Reaper right now tongue.gif

And hope to see your MIDI bass + drum lesson.

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
superize
May 4 2008, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Great explenation

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
May 4 2008, 11:49 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Great lesson DeepRoots

smile.gif and look forward to the next smile.gif .

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
stratman33
May 5 2008, 03:03 AM
Great lesson Jordan! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 5 2008, 09:40 AM
Instructor
nice and great lesson Deeproots seem very useful

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 5 2008, 09:52 AM
Get to da Chopper!
Thanks for your feedback guys smile.gif

+Quote Post
Vinod Saranga
May 6 2008, 11:21 AM
Acoustic Instructor
Good topic and nice explanation smile.gif
Welldone deeproots

--------------------

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 6 2008, 11:24 AM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (Vinod Saranga @ May 6 2008, 11:21 AM) *
Good topic and nice explanation smile.gif
Welldone deeproots

Thanks Vinod! Means alot getting your feedback smile.gif

+Quote Post
jammer91
May 6 2008, 08:51 PM
Awesome lesson. I really could use a program like this and you just saved me atleast 10 hours figuring out how to use it properly.

Is there anyway we can use reaper to mix audio and video. Like lets say we want to do song cover and post it on YouTube. Using a camera to record mostly gives you a pathetic sound. How do we combine the audio and video recorded parts and perfectly synchronise them, other than using windows movie maker?

This post has been edited by jammer91: May 6 2008, 08:52 PM

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
DeepRoots
May 6 2008, 09:06 PM
Get to da Chopper!
QUOTE (jammer91 @ May 6 2008, 08:51 PM) *
Awesome lesson. I really could use a program like this and you just saved me atleast 10 hours figuring out how to use it properly.

Is there anyway we can use reaper to mix audio and video. Like lets say we want to do song cover and post it on YouTube. Using a camera to record mostly gives you a pathetic sound. How do we combine the audio and video recorded parts and perfectly synchronise them, other than using windows movie maker?

Hey Jammer, glad you're liking the lesson!

My advice is to set up your reaper session how i advised, then using windows movie maker- or whatever software you are using with your camera- hit record!

Both programs will be running at the same time, start playing, then once finished simply stop recording on both programs and save both items (the audio and the video).

once you have both an audio and a video file saved- you can use windows movie maker to sync them both- a perfect synchronisation would involve using a technique such as muting the guitar strings then strumming them hard. (do this while you are already recording both the audio and video).
Then in movie maker, simply align the video og whacking the strings with the audio- which will be easy to see as a "spike"when you look at the audio track.

Once they are aligned you can start to "crop" both the video and audio together, while they stay sync'd.

When doing this i would advise against trimming the audio track before hand like i did in the video...use your entire audio file and your entire video file and import to movie maker.

So..

Start recording on both programs
Do a mute-strum for refference later
Stop both programs and save both files
Import both to movie maker
Align the video of your strum with the audio spike
Crop/Trim so that you dont have the strum at the beginning
Save!

Good luck mate smile.gif

edit: ah no movie maker ay? hmmm - try this link for alternatives!
http://www.wareprise.com/2006/07/29/free-m...maker-downloads

This post has been edited by DeepRoots: May 6 2008, 09:22 PM

+Quote Post
Bondy
Jun 7 2008, 09:09 AM
Learning Roadie
Thanks deep sorted out what i was doing wrong great lesson

--------------------
www.minorglance.com
www.facebook.com/minorglance
www.facbook.com/majorlookband
www.twiter.com/minorglance

+Quote Post
Nemanja Filipovi...
Jun 7 2008, 10:02 AM
Singing Instructor
Thanks,this is really good beginner lesson for basic stuff,and the most important at the same time.

--------------------
Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

Participate im my new Crazy Blues Collaboration

+Quote Post
Henry Dietzel
Jun 12 2008, 04:01 AM
Instructor (former GMCer Hammerin Hank)
I can't wait for your lesson on the midi. That is the area I am having a bit of trouble with

Thanks for the lesson DR

--------------------
I have learned a lot, but I still have a lot to learn

Check out my video lessons

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jun 12 2008, 10:35 AM
Instructor
Very cool lessons, could make a whole series out of it wink.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:45 AM