> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Grichnoch's Groove, Chords'n'bends
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 6 2013, 10:18 AM
Instructor
Hey Lance! This here is your personal thread biggrin.gif

First things first, tell me what do you know about the major scale and building chords in general smile.gif

Cosmin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 6 2013, 10:43 AM
GMC:er
Epic. Thanks!

What I know about the major scale and chord building:

I know how to construct the four basic triads (major: 1,3,5; minor: 1, b3, 5; dim: 1, b3, b5; aug: 1, 3, #5). However, I only know how to play major/minor chords on the guitar (and not all shapes at that). I know how to construct (on paper mostly) sus2, sus4, 7th, M7th, m7th, and 5th chords. But again, knowing them on the actual guitar is where I fail (I have a few shapes, mostly open chords, memorized, but not many). tongue.gif

I know which chords go with which (major) scale degrees: I, ii, iii, IV, V vi, diminished vii.

I'm not sure what else I know. I've picked up bits and bobs from various teachers before... but nothing substantial. I hope that's enough to give you an idea.

Thanks!

Lance

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 6 2013, 01:38 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! Got it pretty good now tongue.gif

As long as you know the formulas you can figure out the chord shapes yourself and not only on paper smile.gif One good exercise would be to take your favorite song, learn the chords and then find completely other positions for the same chords using positions found by you, just by knowing the formula of each chord - can you try that? How many ways can you find? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 7 2013, 07:16 PM
OK, I'll give that a try! Should I look for inversions also??

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 7 2013, 08:30 PM
Instructor
Not at this stage wink.gif keep the root versions and we'll see later about inversions!

Which song will you choose? biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 8 2013, 09:17 PM
Ok. I'm not sure which song... most of Dream Theater's stuff is waaaaaaaay to dense for me.

Well, maybe I will tackle one. I will focus on trying to get the first 8 measures of the song Beneath the Surface. It's all acoustic chords (single notes)... and those chords are convoluted... but I will give it a try.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 9 2013, 08:57 AM
Instructor
Mate, don't pick up a ball that's too heavy to throw at this point - is Dream Theater the only band you like? I hope not laugh.gif Kidding aside, try to pick a song that you can play in whole NOW and we'll get to more complex stuff later smile.gif

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 10 2013, 08:26 AM
Got it. Didn't think of that at first. tongue.gif

I have a few ideas for other songs, but I'll have to look at them first. Perhaps something classic rock era (like Journey or Boston or something) might be better. I'll let you know what I decide. smile.gif

Thanks!

P.S. I do like other bands and artists... I just seem to be in a DT craze mode these past few months. Not sure why. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 10 2013, 10:11 AM
Instructor
I was sure you liked other bands and artists as well biggrin.gif

Make your choice and let me know what we shall be using ok? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 11 2013, 07:37 AM
lol. Ok... just to put your mind at rest, here is a more comprehensive list:
Dream Theater
Liquid Tension Experiment
James Labrie
Allen Lande
Yngwie Malmsteen
Kamelot
Journey
Boston
Dire Straits
Michael Jackson
Approaching Nirvana
B.B. King
Eric Clapton
are all on my list of favorite bands/artists. biggrin.gif

So my choice is "Who's Crying Now" by Journey. I have found several different versions on Ultimate Guitar, so I will just pick one and go with it.

And just to clarify: I am learning the chords from the song, then finding as many locations for each chord as I can (root, not inversions)?

Thanks!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 11 2013, 09:04 AM
Instructor
Hey man! Good list biggrin.gif

For our little drill, choosing songs from Journey downwards, on the list, would be a good choice biggrin.gif

And yes, that's what you have to do - if you could shoot a video in which you are playing the song using all the positions you have found, it would be so awesome! biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 17 2013, 09:44 PM
Hey Cosmin!

I am working on those chords... it's just taking forever. I've been making some crazy changes (new website, credit card payment system, new policies) to my teaching business this week, so I haven't had hardly any time to practice. I will get that video up soon though. smile.gif

The other thing I forgot to mention is that I'm getting a new guitar in March. It's a Carvin 7-string, custom-made. I've never played a 7-string before (other than demo's at guitar stores). Maybe when that comes you could help me out with getting to know how to play with the extra string (scales, chords, etc)??

Thanks!

Lance

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2013, 11:32 PM
Instructor
Hey Lance, no biggie man, take your time wink.gif Sure, we can talk about how the 7 string changes things smile.gif What tuning do you plan on using?

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 18 2013, 06:08 AM
Probably standard (B-e)... although I played a bit with drop d for a while, so I might try some drop a. I've never really got into alternate tunings. tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 18 2013, 08:51 AM
Instructor
I couldn't live without dropped tunings laugh.gif but get the axe and let's take it from there wink.gif

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 26 2013, 12:08 AM
Ok Cosmin,

I got that song. I picked "who's crying now" by Journey. A friend is using my camera now, so I don't have a video just yet. HOWEVER, I was able to find about 4 positions per chord in the song (Am, F, Dm, Em). I was kind of surprised to find that the positions I figured out were actually just open positions in closed shapes higher on the neck. That ought to help me out a ton when using chords in the future!!

I'll try to get a video up in the next few days!

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2013, 08:50 AM
Instructor
Sounds like someone has been out exploring biggrin.gif Well, I am glad you have discovered new things and looking forward to see the videos. In the mean time, what else have you been practicing?

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Feb 26 2013, 11:31 PM
The big thing I've been working on is directional picking. It's similar to economy picking, but when 2 or more down/up strokes occur, instead of making multiple picking motions, you basically sweep it. So it's basically a combination of alternate picking and sweep picking. I've been using alternate for years, but when I switched to directional both my speed and accuracy improved quite a bit. I am working on refining this technique.

Also just a few riffs from songs here and there. Nothing too fantastic. wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 27 2013, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Ahaa, I think I know what you mean - I have used this when sweeping and also alternate picking some notes and I think the result is pretty close to your description wink.gif

What riffs have you learned so far? smile.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Grichnoch
Mar 25 2013, 09:07 AM
Haha. Total fail on my part! Sorry for not replying for so long. Work sort of got CRAZY! these last few weeks (I was preparing a large office building I clean for a corporate inspection!). I haven't had much time for guitar (or anything other than work or college).

All is not lost though, and I would love to carry on our correspondence, despite myself. wink.gif

To answer your question, I have been learning a few Dream Theater riffs (of course!), a Neil Zaza riff, and reviewing a few riffs I wrote a while back. Fun stuff!!

I have a question for you:

You said my rhythm needs improving, and that's what I would like to tackle first. What would you suggest I do to improve that? What techniques or exercises should I use? Are there any lessons on GMC that would be helpful that you particularly like?

Thanks!!

Lance

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 09:56 AM