Ipad
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2012, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Hi guys! I have seen lots of musical uses for Ipads as well as for recording, for amps and pedals emulations, for composing and many other things. I never tried one but I would like to start this thread to invite you to share your experiences with them... which one you have? Do you find it cool? What do you do with it? What are the pros and cons you find?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Sep 10 2012, 03:42 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2012, 04:06 PM) *
Hi guys! I have seen lots of musical uses for Ipads as well as for recording, for amps and pedals emulations, for composing and many other things. I never tried one but I would like to start this thread to invite you to share your experiences with them... which one you have? Do you find it cool? What do you do with it? What are the pros and cons you find?

Well I've never used an iPad, but I've tired using a tablet by Motorola once, and I must say I'd rather just get a laptop, much more comfortable, and a tablet seems like a huge smart phone or a less advanced laptop laugh.gif , but yeah there are definitely some pretty great programs for the iPad even the iPhone by IK Multimedia the creators of AmpliTube smile.gif, but then again you could also just get that for your laptop biggrin.gif, maybe it's just me that dislikes tablets, probably because I am more into using mouse & keyboard, never really got into the touch thing rolleyes.gif

Some of the products that IK Multimedia offers for the iPhone/iPad http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=mobile

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 10 2012, 05:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Qenzoz @ Sep 10 2012, 11:42 AM) *
Well I've never used an iPad, but I've tired using a tablet by Motorola once, and I must say I'd rather just get a laptop, much more comfortable, and a tablet seems like a huge smart phone or a less advanced laptop laugh.gif , but yeah there are definitely some pretty great programs for the iPad even the iPhone by IK Multimedia the creators of AmpliTube smile.gif, but then again you could also just get that for your laptop biggrin.gif, maybe it's just me that dislikes tablets, probably because I am more into using mouse & keyboard, never really got into the touch thing rolleyes.gif

Some of the products that IK Multimedia offers for the iPhone/iPad http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/cat-view.php?C=mobile

Thanks for your answer mate. I'm looking for something mobile that allows me to practice, compose, record and use internet. Iphone allows all these things but I don't find them comfortable, that's why I thought that maybe Ipad could be an option, but from your point of view, it would be better to get a good laptop.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 10 2012, 05:28 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I'd keep the internet off anything I was using to record Gab.

For ease of use, speed and portability why not use a digital multitrack for recording etc and your iphone for internet? You can always transfer the audio files to your main daw later. If you use a laptop you'd still need to get an audio interface...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
kklee100
Sep 11 2012, 10:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
Hello Gab,
I record my playing in iPad2 for months.
I bought iRig to connect my guitar and iPad2 and earphone.
And I bought a software called AmpliTube (it is not expensive).

It has more than 10 effects ( delay, overdrive, distortion...) and more than 5 amps (clean, crunch, metal, lead, bass, etc) and 5 settings of cab.
And it also includes 8-track recorder. I recorded my REC here.
Metronome and tuner are also included.
You can download any songs and play with it.

There is a very good function called 'speedtrainer'. You can change speed of any songs from -50% to +50%.
When I play your German power metal series, I use it to slow down the backing tracks for practice.

iPad2+ iRig + AmpliTube is very useful for rookie like me. But I do not know if it meets your need for you professionals.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2012, 01:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (kklee100 @ Sep 11 2012, 06:06 AM) *
Hello Gab,
I record my playing in iPad2 for months.
I bought iRig to connect my guitar and iPad2 and earphone.
And I bought a software called AmpliTube (it is not expensive).

It has more than 10 effects ( delay, overdrive, distortion...) and more than 5 amps (clean, crunch, metal, lead, bass, etc) and 5 settings of cab.
And it also includes 8-track recorder. I recorded my REC here.
Metronome and tuner are also included.
You can download any songs and play with it.

There is a very good function called 'speedtrainer'. You can change speed of any songs from -50% to +50%.
When I play your German power metal series, I use it to slow down the backing tracks for practice.

iPad2+ iRig + AmpliTube is very useful for rookie like me. But I do not know if it meets your need for you professionals.

Hi mate! yes, that's exactly what I need! It's just for guitar practice routine and recording demos. wink.gif I have my laptop for more professional recording.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Nether
Sep 11 2012, 02:56 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 11 2012, 02:58 PM) *
Hi mate! yes, that's exactly what I need! It's just for guitar practice routine and recording demos. wink.gif I have my laptop for more professional recording.

Hi, i've recently bought a IPad. I find it very confortable to record little things and for practice.
There are a lot of Amp and FX simulators (Ampkit, Amplitube, JamUp, which are free in versions with some of the emulations), a few DAW's (a simpler version of Garageband, Multitrack), metronomes and tuners (Politune, Guitar toolkit).

I have tried the iRig but i'm gonna buy the Apogee Jam because the iRig is very noisy.

GarageBand is great (very similar to the Mac version), but it has a couple of limitations (not push in or cicles is the worst of them for me) but it includes a lot of batery loops and amp and fx emulations.

Sadly you can't have VST's as plugins in the DAW's (it would be great to be able of using Ampkit emulations under Garageband), or i would substitute the Mac with the Ipad as my main record machine.

If you travel a lot, it's a great tool for practicing on the go.
And also it has games laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2012, 03:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 11 2012, 10:56 AM) *
Hi, i've recently bought a IPad. I find it very confortable to record little things and for practice.
There are a lot of Amp and FX simulators (Ampkit, Amplitube, JamUp, which are free in versions with some of the emulations), a few DAW's (a simpler version of Garageband, Multitrack), metronomes and tuners (Politune, Guitar toolkit).

I have tried the iRig but i'm gonna buy the Apogee Jam because the iRig is very noisy.

GarageBand is great (very similar to the Mac version), but it has a couple of limitations (not push in or cicles is the worst of them for me) but it includes a lot of batery loops and amp and fx emulations.

Sadly you can't have VST's as plugins in the DAW's (it would be great to be able of using Ampkit emulations under Garageband), or i would substitute the Mac with the Ipad as my main record machine.

If you travel a lot, it's a great tool for practicing on the go.
And also it has games laugh.gif

Thanks for the info! I didn't know the Apogee, have you ever tried it?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Nether
Sep 11 2012, 03:42 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 11 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Thanks for the info! I didn't know the Apogee, have you ever tried it?

It'll be on my hands tomorrow wink.gif

Reviews said it's much cleaner than the other Audio Interfaces that exists for Ipad but had some problems with the IOS5 update (it's not the only one, the Alesis IO Dock had the same troubles)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2012, 03:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 11 2012, 11:42 AM) *
It'll be on my hands tomorrow wink.gif

Reviews said it's much cleaner than the other Audio Interfaces that exists for Ipad but had some problems with the IOS5 update (it's not the only one, the Alesis IO Dock had the same troubles)

Ah ok! Keep me updated! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
kklee100
Sep 11 2012, 03:51 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, iRig is a little noisy, so there is a effect called 'noise gate' and it will be much better.

Apogee Jam is like iRig, they are used to connect guitar to iPad.
I do not have Apoge Jam, so I can not compare Apogee Jam and iRig.
But after noise gate, I feel iRig is tolerable for me.

+Quote Post
Nether
Sep 11 2012, 03:57 PM
QUOTE (kklee100 @ Sep 11 2012, 04:51 PM) *
Yeah, iRig is a little noisy, so there is a effect called 'noise gate' and it will be much better.

Apogee Jam is like iRig, they are used to connect guitar to iPad.
I do not have Apoge Jam, so I can not compare Apogee Jam and iRig.
But after noise gate, I feel iRig is tolerable for me.

The problem is that the noise gate won't allow noise to enter while not playing, but when you play a note you will ear it.

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 11 2012, 04:58 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 11 2012, 11:57 AM) *
The problem is that the noise gate won't allow noise to enter while not playing, but when you play a note you will ear it.

yes, this is a problem when the noise is really high...

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 11 2012, 05:42 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 11 2012, 02:56 PM) *

Try using a wrapper to switch between vst and AU. I think fxpansion makes one...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 11 2012, 05:44 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Sep 10 2012, 10:06 AM) *

The interface you pick will have a BIG impact on the overall sound IMHO. You can start out with the cheaper irig style interface to get started but the quality is a bit lacking if you plan to actually record with it just due to rampant noise at high gain.

But the $20 interfaces will get you going and let you find which apps you like.

Once you get to a certain point, you will probably want a better interface. So far, the best one I've used is the ALESIS IPAD DOCK as it has a wide selection input and output and is one of the least noisey of all the interfaces. It's designed to help you integrate your ipad in to your studio, not just get guitar signals in to your ipad.

There is a new version that incorprates an external wah pedal as well wink.gif

For straight recording the apogee ipad interface is really good and there is a new one from Scarlett as well.

Here is a link that breaks down man of the top interfaces.

http://www.iosrecording.com/category/hardw...st-of-hardware/

+Quote Post
Nether
Sep 12 2012, 05:18 PM
Hi Gabriel, here I share with you the sound of the guitar recorded with Garageband with the iPad with both the Jam and the iRig.
I have to say that the iRig it's not as noisy when used with other applications.

Clean Sound with Apogee Jam (no noise gate)
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/apogee-jam-limpio-no-noisegate

Clean Sound with iRig (no noise gate)
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/irig-limpio-no-noisegate

You can practically hear the price difference tongue.gif

There are other differences between the Jam and the iRig:
1.- The iRig is connected to the iPad through the headphones while the Jam is connected through the dock socket. You can't recharge your iPad while using the Jam and you can't use the built in speakers of the iPad to monitor your sound while using the iRig.
2.- The Jam has a gain knob and a level indicator which are very useful.
3.- The Jam can be used with a Mac (They don't say anything about Windows though)
4.- The Jam is a lot more pricey dry.gif

This post has been edited by Nether: Sep 12 2012, 05:22 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Sep 12 2012, 07:48 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nether @ Sep 12 2012, 01:18 PM) *
Hi Gabriel, here I share with you the sound of the guitar recorded with Garageband with the iPad with both the Jam and the iRig.
I have to say that the iRig it's not as noisy when used with other applications.

Clean Sound with Apogee Jam (no noise gate)
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/apogee-jam-limpio-no-noisegate

Clean Sound with iRig (no noise gate)
http://soundcloud.com/jorge-fern-ndez/irig-limpio-no-noisegate

You can practically hear the price difference tongue.gif

There are other differences between the Jam and the iRig:
1.- The iRig is connected to the iPad through the headphones while the Jam is connected through the dock socket. You can't recharge your iPad while using the Jam and you can't use the built in speakers of the iPad to monitor your sound while using the iRig.
2.- The Jam has a gain knob and a level indicator which are very useful.
3.- The Jam can be used with a Mac (They don't say anything about Windows though)
4.- The Jam is a lot more pricey dry.gif

Amazing test mate! Thanks a lot for this. It's very useful! I can imagine that the Irig could be very noise is you add some distortion to that tone!

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:23 PM