Anyone Live/lived In Paris? Suggestions Required!
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 01:22 PM
Learning Tone Master
So, it's coming upto my 1st year anniversary with my girlfriend and we're spending it in paris for a few days smile.gif

Ok, it's so cliche I know, but it seems a perfect way to spend it!

We're both in to french films, and my girlfriend loves some french bands so it will be very nice to visit together.

Does anyone who lives around Paris have any recommendations on places to visit or see?

I'm interested in the less obvious tourist attractions, of course we'll venture up the tower and visit le louvre, but we want to experience a bit more cultural paris if possible smile.gif

Charlotte really wants to find a nice bohemian-ish bar/club in the latin quarter, does anyone know of anything?

Thanks to anyone who has any info to spair, we appreciate it!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 9 2009, 01:52 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 01:22 PM) *
So, it's coming upto my 1st year anniversary with my girlfriend and we're spending it in paris for a few days smile.gif

Ok, it's so cliche I know, but it seems a perfect way to spend it!

We're both in to french films, and my girlfriend loves some french bands so it will be very nice to visit together.

Does anyone who lives around Paris have any recommendations on places to visit or see?

I'm interested in the less obvious tourist attractions, of course we'll venture up the tower and visit le louvre, but we want to experience a bit more cultural paris if possible smile.gif

Charlotte really wants to find a nice bohemian-ish bar/club in the latin quarter, does anyone know of anything?

Thanks to anyone who has any info to spair, we appreciate it!

Hi Adam,
I live in Paris and can give you a few spots nice to visit, walk around or just hang out. I will prepare you a list and post it later today. Live music is difficult thought, but if you can send me the exact date, i could check what is happening. Do you both like french food? .. i have an endless list of small and really good restaurants.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 03:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much! That would be a real help, especially regarding restaurants. We do indeed like french food, some recommendations would be fantastic.

We're going to be there from Thursday the 26th March till the Saturday afternoon - have to get back for work sadly sad.gif She's in love with nouvelle vague, and that style of music.

Only slight problem so far is she recently watched "Irreversible", even though I said it probably wasn't a good idea, and is a little scared of using any undergrounds now laugh.gif heh.

Thanks a lot though man,

Hope you're having a good day!

QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 9 2009, 12:52 PM) *
Hi Adam,
I live in Paris and can give you a few spots nice to visit, walk around or just hang out. I will prepare you a list and post it later today. Live music is difficult thought, but if you can send me the exact date, i could check what is happening. Do you both like french food? .. i have an endless list of small and really good restaurants.

This post has been edited by Ajmurrell: Mar 9 2009, 03:05 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Mar 9 2009, 03:06 PM
Instructor
Andy is the guy for Paris and Berlin ! smile.gif

Have fun with your gf on your anniversary Adam wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 9 2009, 03:17 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Mar 9 2009, 03:06 PM) *
Andy is the guy for Paris and Berlin ! smile.gif

.. i love Berlin, did i mentioned that already? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 03:04 PM) *
Hi Andy,

Thanks so much! That would be a real help, especially regarding restaurants. We do indeed like french food, some recommendations would be fantastic.

We're going to be there from Thursday the 26th March till the Saturday afternoon - have to get back for work sadly sad.gif She's in love with nouvelle vague, and that style of music.

Only slight problem so far is she recently watched "Irreversible", even though I said it probably wasn't a good idea, and is a little scared of using any undergrounds now laugh.gif heh.

Thanks a lot though man,

Hope you're having a good day!

No worries about "Irreversible" scenarios, it's safe inside Paris!! I didn't saw the movie to the end, but i know what you mean.

One more question, do you prefer calm romantic places or crowded areas when going out?

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 03:31 PM
Learning Tone Master
That's certainly reassuring to know biggrin.gif

I'd say we'd be happy with either to be honest, if its worthy of a recommendation we'll go see! We don't have a huge amount of time in Paris, arrive in the afternoon on the Thursday and I know we'll be going up the eiffel and attempting to break the louvre record in Bande a part on the Friday smile.gif

So that'll take up at least a morning, and then we leave late saturday but have no plans for that day yet.

So really I think we only have Friday afternoon onwards to be adventurous.

QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 9 2009, 02:17 PM) *
.. i love Berlin, did i mentioned that already? laugh.gif

No worries about "Irreversible" scenarios, it's safe inside Paris!! I didn't saw the movie to the end, but i know what you mean.

One more question, do you prefer calm romantic places or crowded areas when going out?

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 9 2009, 07:54 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
Yes, 2 days is short. Personally i would prefer to just walk around and get an nice overview of Paris instead to attack the tower and Louvre. You will spend a lot of time waiting on these both attractions, but it worth it of course.

Tour Eiffel
If you plan to go up the tower, be prepared that there is usually a long line, i mean .. really long smile.gif. It's for sure worth to go there anyway (even if you don't go up) as it's just impressive to stand direct under the tower. The thursday afternoon/evening could be good for that .. it's open quite long as far as i know.

Louvre:
If you are interested in art, then the louvre is a must of course. Depends what you expect from a visit in Paris. If you plan to go inside you will stay at least a day (without have seen everything). It would be the friday for you i guess. The line to wait is short on the first view, but inside you will have a few more steps to pass before you are actually in. All together it can take a while. Once inside it's huge .. good that you are there during the week, this might speed things up a bit smile.gif

Another option could be this walk:
Starting in Saint Paul - Ile Saint Louis - Ile de la Cité ("Notre Dame", entrance is free and fast) and then direction Louvre. All the area around Louvre is nice as well. If you see that the line is too long, you can visit the little streets around Palais Royal(park) or continue to "Jardin des Tuileries", which goes to "Concorde" and after "Champs-Elysées". Take a metro there if you want to go to "Arc de Triomphe" at the end of "Champs-Elysées". You could do this walk the other way around as well and arrive on the afternoon/evening in the area between "Hotel de ville" and Metro "Saint paul" (Marais), some nice restaurants and (wine)bars in this area.

To go out:
There are so many place, but these 3 areas could be a good start smile.gif
1 "Rue Oberkampf" (Metro Ménilmontant), a street with a lot of bars, restaurants and clubs
2 "Marais" area, some nice restaurants and wine-bars,
3 "Quartier Latin" (bohemian-ish)
- "Le Melocoton" - 10 rue descartes, 75005 Paris
- "Le Crocodile" - 6 Rue Royer-Collard, 75005 Paris
- "Le Pantalon" - 7, Rue Royer-Collard , 75005  Paris

Music:
It's not easy to find live concerts. Everything is small in Paris, so there are not so many places with a small stage. The best is you buy a magazin called "Pariscope" when you arrive with all events of the week.

Difficult to do a recap of a city like paris with a few lines, but i hope this helps already to get an idea. Let me know in which area your hotel is and i can give you some more details. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 08:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Wow, thanks so much mate!

Very interested in the walk, that sounds wonderful. She's into photography and the SLR will be coming along with us so that sounds perfect.

We were actually thinking of going up the tower in the evening/night we arrive on thursday, so maybe the line will be shorter?

I thought the Louvre might take up more time, its a shame we didn't stay an extra day or two. No doubt when I'm driving this summer we'll make another visit for sure. Maybe that would be a better time to visit and enjoy le Louvre.

The music advice is great too, we'll definitely pick up a copy of pariscope when we get there smile.gif

Our hotel is actually very near the tower (suprisingly, as we went for the cheapest hotel we could find on lastminute.com! even get a room with a view of the tower!) in the Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche, which I read reviews about it being quite an interesting place today. Plenty of shouting and cursing at early hours, sounds fun and an experience!

I believe its address is:
Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche
6 Rue du Gros Caillou
75007 Paris

Which should be a street or two away from the tower, when I searched it on google earth smile.gif

Thanks again man, forwarding it on to my partner now!

QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 9 2009, 06:54 PM) *
Yes, 2 days is short. Personally i would prefer to just walk around and get an nice overview of Paris instead to attack the tower and Louvre. You will spend a lot of time waiting on these both attractions, but it worth it of course.

Tour Eiffel
If you plan to go up the tower, be prepared that there is usually a long line, i mean .. really long smile.gif. It's for sure worth to go there anyway (even if you don't go up) as it's just impressive to stand direct under the tower. The thursday afternoon/evening could be good for that .. it's open quite long as far as i know.

Louvre:
If you are interested in art, then the louvre is a must of course. Depends what you expect from a visit in Paris. If you plan to go inside you will stay at least a day (without have seen everything). It would be the friday for you i guess. The line to wait is short on the first view, but inside you will have a few more steps to pass before you are actually in. All together it can take a while. Once inside it's huge .. good that you are there during the week, this might speed things up a bit smile.gif

Another option could be this walk:
Starting in Saint Paul - Ile Saint Louis - Ile de la Cité ("Notre Dame", entrance is free and fast) and then direction Louvre. All the area around Louvre is nice as well. If you see that the line is too long, you can visit the little streets around Palais Royal(park) or continue to "Jardin des Tuileries", which goes to "Concorde" and after "Champs-Elysées". Take a metro there if you want to go to "Arc de Triomphe" at the end of "Champs-Elysées". You could do this walk the other way around as well and arrive on the afternoon/evening in the area between "Hotel de ville" and Metro "Saint paul" (Marais), some nice restaurants and (wine)bars in this area.

To go out:
There are so many place, but these 3 areas could be a good start smile.gif
1 "Rue Oberkampf" (Metro Ménilmontant), a street with a lot of bars, restaurants and clubs
2 "Marais" area, some nice restaurants and wine-bars,
3 "Quartier Latin" (bohemian-ish)
- "Le Melocoton" - 10 rue descartes, 75005 Paris
- "Le Crocodile" - 6 Rue Royer-Collard, 75005 Paris
- "Le Pantalon" - 7, Rue Royer-Collard , 75005  Paris

Music:
It's not easy to find live concerts. Everything is small in Paris, so there are not so many places with a small stage. The best is you buy a magazin called "Pariscope" when you arrive with all events of the week.

Difficult to do a recap of a city like paris with a few lines, but i hope this helps already to get an idea. Let me know in which area your hotel is and i can give you some more details. smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 9 2009, 11:35 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 08:38 PM) *
Wow, thanks so much mate!

Very interested in the walk, that sounds wonderful. She's into photography and the SLR will be coming along with us so that sounds perfect.

We were actually thinking of going up the tower in the evening/night we arrive on thursday, so maybe the line will be shorter?

I thought the Louvre might take up more time, its a shame we didn't stay an extra day or two. No doubt when I'm driving this summer we'll make another visit for sure. Maybe that would be a better time to visit and enjoy le Louvre.

The music advice is great too, we'll definitely pick up a copy of pariscope when we get there smile.gif

Our hotel is actually very near the tower (suprisingly, as we went for the cheapest hotel we could find on lastminute.com! even get a room with a view of the tower!) in the Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche, which I read reviews about it being quite an interesting place today. Plenty of shouting and cursing at early hours, sounds fun and an experience!

I believe its address is:
Hotel Eiffel Rive Gauche
6 Rue du Gros Caillou
75007 Paris

Which should be a street or two away from the tower, when I searched it on google earth smile.gif

Thanks again man, forwarding it on to my partner now!

Great, just checked the address. Thats sounds romantic for your 1st year anniversary ... direct view on the tower smile.gif

I can not really say when the line will be shorter at the tower, but as you are nearby you can check quickly. Maybe direct on thursday when you arrive at the hotel or friday morning. Just found this link with the opening hours HERE.

I have never visited the complete Louvre (shame on me), only entered a few times for temporary expositions in some side wings. Outside of Louvre you can freely walk around, see the "Pyramide"...

Down you will find a quick sketch of the walk i described before. The blue dots a good places to have rest smile.gif. The "Marais" is a bit above to the right of the "Paris" marker. "Rue Vielle du Temple" and the streets around. "Quartier Latin" is a bit down from "Saint-Michel". Your hotel is not on the map, but further to the left. Just for orientation, a complete map you will find with google maps ..

If you have time on saturday "Montmartre" is a nice spot as well. Especially for an 1st year anniversary smile.gif .. kind of artist area and a cliche place for lovers. It's a little mountain with "Sacre-Coeur" on the top and you have a nice view on Paris from there. Not so far is a street only with guitar shops laugh.gif (Rue Douai, near metro "Pigalle" ) .. just in case smile.gif

[attachment=14305:SaintPaul_Concorde.jpg]

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Mar 9 2009, 11:51 PM
Learning Tone Master
Andy,

Thanks ever so much, really appreciate you taking the time to write all this and even produce maps!!

I can't wait to show my girlfriend what information you've provided here, she'll be coming over tomorrow, and I can tell shes excited to read it.

I may be given some evil looks if I suggest guitar shops biggrin.gif But I've noted it, just incase wink.gif

Montemartre sounds perfect. It's going to be a very cliche long weekend I think!

Maybe when we come next time, in less romantic circumstances, we should meet for a drink?

Thanks again mate,

Adam

QUOTE (wrk @ Mar 9 2009, 10:35 PM) *
Great, just checked the address. Thats sounds romantic for your 1st year anniversary ... direct view on the tower smile.gif

I can not really say when the line will be shorter at the tower, but as you are nearby you can check quickly. Maybe direct on thursday when you arrive at the hotel or friday morning. Just found this link with the opening hours HERE.

I have never visited the complete Louvre (shame on me), only entered a few times for temporary expositions in some side wings. Outside of Louvre you can freely walk around, see the "Pyramide"...

Down you will find a quick sketch of the walk i described before. The blue dots a good places to have rest smile.gif. The "Marais" is a bit above to the right of the "Paris" marker. "Rue Vielle du Temple" and the streets around. "Quartier Latin" is a bit down from "Saint-Michel". Your hotel is not on the map, but further to the left. Just for orientation, a complete map you will find with google maps ..

If you have time on saturday "Montmartre" is a nice spot as well. Especially for an 1st year anniversary smile.gif .. kind of artist area and a cliche place for lovers. It's a little mountain with "Sacre-Coeur" on the top and you have a nice view on Paris from there. Not so far is a street only with guitar shops laugh.gif (Rue Douai, near metro "Pigalle" ) .. just in case smile.gif

[attachment=14305:SaintPaul_Concorde.jpg]

--------------------

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 10 2009, 12:06 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Ajmurrell @ Mar 9 2009, 11:51 PM) *
Andy,

Thanks ever so much, really appreciate you taking the time to write all this and even produce maps!!

I can't wait to show my girlfriend what information you've provided here, she'll be coming over tomorrow, and I can tell shes excited to read it.

I may be given some evil looks if I suggest guitar shops biggrin.gif But I've noted it, just incase wink.gif

Montemartre sounds perfect. It's going to be a very cliche long weekend I think!

Maybe when we come next time, in less romantic circumstances, we should meet for a drink?

Thanks again mate,

Adam

No problem at all, have a nice trip and enjoy the time !!
I thought it's a trip where you both wants to stay on your own. Next time we can for sure meet somewhere smile.gif

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Mar 10 2009, 11:27 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Just to add one more suggestion to wrk's great advice...

If the weather is nice and you have time the walk down the Seine from Notre Dame Cathedral to the Tower is lovely and goes past the Musee D'Orsay. D'Orsay is a great art gallery and well worth a visit.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
wrk
Mar 10 2009, 04:39 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Mar 10 2009, 11:27 AM) *
Just to add one more suggestion to wrk's great advice...

If the weather is nice and you have time the walk down the Seine from Notre Dame Cathedral to the Tower is lovely and goes past the Musee D'Orsay. D'Orsay is a great art gallery and well worth a visit.

That is indeed a nice walk Tony and it's the way back to the hotel.
D'Orsay is i think the best choice if Adam wants to do a museum, but does not have enough time for Louvre.

+Quote Post
Siggum
Mar 10 2009, 04:44 PM
GMC:er
I lived there once for 14 days with my gf in the Latin quarter, i loved that part of Paris... have a good one biggrin.gif

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:54 PM