Modes Modulation Contribution (7 People Needed)
David Wallimann
Jul 24 2007, 04:03 PM
Instructor
Hi everyone!
Here is my first attempt to start a collaboration.
This should be a great way for anyone involved to put into application your modal knowledge.

Here's how it works..
The song is in A and goes through all the modes in order:
A Ionian,
A Dorian,
A Phrygian,
A Lydian,
A Mixolydian,
A Aeolian,
A Locrian

Tempo is 100bpm.

Download the backing track, and record a lead over one of the modes you pick.
There are 8 bars for every mode. You'll hear a drum fill before each change. Start recording your lead at the begining of the bar you picked. Once all the leads are received I will mix everything together. Should be interesting!

I need 7 people to participate in this experience.
Post a reply to this thread stating which mode you want to solo over and if you want to do it with a clean sound, or distorted sound. (Once all 7 participants are there, we'll record with the sound that the majority picked)...

You can't pick a mode that's been already picked.
First one to post gets to pick first.

Once all the spots are taken, I'll let you know which sound to use (clean or distorted), so that we can have some kind of consistancy in the song...

The recording should be sent to me in mp3 format. I only want your guitar part without the backing track...

So there we go!

Please sign up only if you know you can record this... If you are not set up to record, don't worry.. More of these will follow I'm sure...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Wallimann: Jul 24 2007, 05:32 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  All_modes.mp3 ( 2.1MB ) Number of downloads: 408

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 24 2007, 04:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Cool!

I pick Dorian, clean ...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 24 2007, 07:07 PM
GMC:er
Sounds great!!

A Lydian for me please smile.gif , distorted
I want to create a Satchy sound smile.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 24 2007, 09:13 PM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jul 24 2007, 02:07 PM) *
Sounds great!!

A Lydian for me please smile.gif , distorted
I want to create a Satchy sound smile.gif

Been playing with the backing track, and discovered that I absolutely love Lydian .. wanna trade Ezra ??? smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Robin
Jul 24 2007, 10:19 PM
Lets say I pick Mixolydian, does it mean I can use the A minor pentatonic scale for instance, and mix it with some mixolydian, or only use mixolydian? This might be a silly question, i r st0pid biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 24 2007, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 24 2007, 05:19 PM) *
Lets say I pick Mixolydian, does it mean I can use the A minor pentatonic scale for instance, and mix it with some mixolydian, or only use mixolydian? This might be a silly question, i r st0pid biggrin.gif

Well, its modal, so use of minor pentatonic would kind of clash, so yes, I think you should use a mixolydian scale, but its Davids collaboration so he can rule definitively smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
ezravdb
Jul 25 2007, 12:05 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 10:13 PM) *
Been playing with the backing track, and discovered that I absolutely love Lydian .. wanna trade Ezra ??? smile.gif

OK, how much? tongue.gif

kidding, hmmm Dorian...I'm not really familiar with it, but walliman's lessons should help me out I think.
Ok, I wanna trade. Because you are very helpful rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Do we need permission of Walliman? biggrin.gif

--------------------
The coolest new community: Lockerz Wanna join Lockerz?
Send me a PM with your mailadress.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 12:38 AM
QUOTE (ezravdb @ Jul 24 2007, 07:05 PM) *
OK, how much? tongue.gif

kidding, hmmm Dorian...I'm not really familiar with it, but walliman's lessons should help me out I think.
Ok, I wanna trade. Because you are very helpful rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

Do we need permission of Walliman? biggrin.gif

Thanks Ezra, I'm sure Dave will be cool with it - theres still Ionian, Aeolian, Phrygian, Locrian and maybe Mixolydian to choose from if you don't like Dorian smile.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 12:50 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 07:38 PM) *
Thanks Ezra, I'm sure Dave will be cool with it - theres still Ionian, Aeolian, Phrygian, Locrian and maybe Mixolydian to choose from if you don't like Dorian smile.gif

i would choose Ionian but i dont know how to record it and put it up on the site
and right now i dont have any recording stuff sad.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 01:00 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jul 24 2007, 07:50 PM) *
i would choose Ionian but i dont know how to record it and put it up on the site
and right now i dont have any recording stuff sad.gif

All you need is a PC and a sound card and a cable ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 01:01 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 08:00 PM) *
All you need is a PC and a sound card and a cable ...

i have a pc but whats a sound card and what type of cable

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 01:09 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jul 24 2007, 08:01 PM) *
i have a pc but whats a sound card and what type of cable

Does your PC make noises? Can you watch videos etc with sound? If so then you have a sound card.

You need a cable from your guitar to your soundcard and then you should be able to record - or you can by something like a Stealth plug which is a very simple interface designed for guitar.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StealthPlug/

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 01:17 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 08:09 PM) *
Does your PC make noises? Can you watch videos etc with sound? If so then you have a sound card.

You need a cable from your guitar to your soundcard and then you should be able to record - or you can by something like a Stealth plug which is a very simple interface designed for guitar.

ya i have a sound card

do u need certain program to record onto using the cable? i have audacity would that work

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 01:22 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jul 24 2007, 08:17 PM) *
ya i have a sound card

do u need certain program to record onto using the cable? i have audacity would that work

Yes, Audacity would do it, but reaper might be more suitable for this project.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 01:27 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 08:22 PM) *

ok i have that one too

andrew, have you had experience with this cable because the reviews are ok so if theres a better type of cable that does the same thing maybe i should get that one

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 25 2007, 01:37 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ Jul 24 2007, 08:27 PM) *
ok i have that one too

andrew, have you had experience with this cable because the reviews are ok so if theres a better type of cable that does the same thing maybe i should get that one

I never used the Stealth but its advantage is that it is very simple to set up and use. You can get a lot more complex, but this would be a great way to start.

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 01:38 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 08:37 PM) *
I never used the Stealth but its advantage is that it is very simple to set up and use. You can get a lot more complex, but this would be a great way to start.

ok ill try and get it soon so i can post it ill let u no how it is when i get it

+Quote Post
Skorpyon
Jul 25 2007, 01:44 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jul 24 2007, 08:22 PM) *

where or what program an cable for that matter do i need to plug in the guitar to the comp ?

+Quote Post
Nick325
Jul 25 2007, 01:46 AM
QUOTE (Skorpyon @ Jul 24 2007, 08:44 PM) *
where or what program an cable for that matter do i need to plug in the guitar to the comp ?

i have the Ionian scale

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jul 25 2007, 04:05 AM
Instructor
Even though A minor pentatonic would sound very cool on A mixolydian, let's keep this all modal.
If I were to play on mixolydian, I would definitally use some mix of minor pentatonic with the Mixo notes, but let's stick to the mode only because having rules will force us to play differently..
Great question though.
Are you in?

QUOTE (Robin @ Jul 24 2007, 05:19 PM) *

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 11:48 AM