heyy every1

i was jus wonderin wats the correct fingering for a power chord for example

---------
---------
----5----
----5----
----3----
---------

obviously the 3 is done on the index finger....
but i dont kno whether to use the first 3 fingers or the index finger,ring finger and pinky.

any suggestions/and wats the difference

oh and another random question while im here,
is it better to use downstrokes or alternate picking for the sweet child o mine intro riff

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
visi0n
Jan 27 2008, 12:08 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
just use whats comfortable for you .. i use my pinky for the 5's .. and ring finger if i need to add another note .. i use both ..

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vinicitur
Jan 27 2008, 12:10 PM
GMC:er
For your example you would normally use index-ring-pinky.

For your picking I don't know. Haven't heard that song in ages.

--------------------
IPB Image

There are 2 types of people in the world: consumers and creators. Which one are you?

+Quote Post
HIMGNRVRBB
Jan 27 2008, 12:12 PM
ok sweet was just curious about the fingering as i have only just started practicing with my index-ring-pinky

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 27 2008, 01:24 PM
Instructor
Index ring pinky is the right way to go, just practice those changes slow and watch out that the ring finger doesn't go to far away from the fretted fret.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
CheeseBeard
Jan 27 2008, 01:26 PM
I'd go with index, ring and pinky for that chord and alternative picking for Sweet Child intro.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jan 27 2008, 06:50 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I usually do index and ring.

With my ring finger I press two strings at once.

Maybe it's not the best way, but I got used to it and it feel comfortable to me.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
JVM
Jan 29 2008, 05:16 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys, for the longest time I've been playing power chords index-middle-ring, do you suggest I change? What are the benefits? It always seemed to me that having the pinky open for other stuff was good and having the middle finger kind of limp in the middle was not a good thing, but maybe you can convince me otherwise unsure.gif I'm still in the midst of changing my picking technique, maybe a change in my powerchord technique would help me as well? I don't really feel restricted by it much though.

For the record, if I'm just playing root-fifth then I usually do index pinky, but sometimes index ring.

This post has been edited by JVM: Jan 29 2008, 05:16 AM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:39 AM