> IS THAT YOUR MAMA?

Nope didn't think so either. We all know parents don't get this.

I can show you how to be the virtuoso your folks could only dream about, but I first need your help:

* Pm me and I will show you where to start. I am online every day and I will help you out directly!

* Join my mentoring program. I will customize your learning experience in a way you haven't experienced before. We will have regular contact so that you can remain inspired every day and eventually reach a new level.

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Oh and did you know that to become a killer guitarist you just need to focus on one thing? Everything
else is secondary. Pm me and I will explain.

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Cem's Rhythm Rampage
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 14 2012, 11:21 AM
Instructor
There we go biggrin.gif Hello Cem!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 15 2012, 09:38 PM
Learning Tone Master
Hey Cosmin, thanks for sparing some time for me tongue.gif.

Before speaking of anything musical, I need to get rid of something about guitar technique which is bugging me for way too long.

For that cause, lets consider this basic major scale shape:

---5--7--9------------------------------------ (I don't know how to post tabs with forum tools so I typed by hand)
------------5--7--9-----------------------------
---------------------6--7--9----------------------
------------------------------6--7--9----------------
---------------------------------------7--9--10--------
-------------------------------------------------7--9--10

Back then, I was playing scales, or lets say basically anything related with alternate picking with only one of my finger touching to frets. For example, to play 5--7--9, I put my index to 5 and pick the string, after that I lift my index finger and put my middle finger to 7, and so on..

This type of play is maybe fine for going down, but when it comes to playing backwards (like 9-7-5) it sounds so bad I can't even find the words to describe how terrible I feel. It sounds very unconnected, there are little gaps between notes which you can't hear exactly but enough to take away all the musicality, the flow of music.

I asked my former guitar instructor about that. He said, to play these type of partitions, I should do a kind of "spider-walk" on the frets. For example when a triplet like 9--7--5 appears, I must put my pinky finger to 9 and middle finger to 7 simultaneously. For a while I played like this but the problem was still there.

Now, I'm trying to incorporate pull-offs to play these, e.g. to play 9-7-5, every finger takes their place at the same time and, for example when going from 9 to 7, I both pick the string and pull off to the note. Playing like this sounds better than anything else I came up with, but still, STILL it didn't disappear completely.

I seriously need to get rid of this for whatever I play it simply does not sounds right. I'll post a rec as soon as possible for clarification. And again, thanks for taking me on smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Cem: Feb 15 2012, 09:40 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 16 2012, 09:08 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 15 2012, 08:38 PM) *
Hey Cosmin, thanks for sparing some time for me tongue.gif.

Before speaking of anything musical, I need to get rid of something about guitar technique which is bugging me for way too long.

For that cause, lets consider this basic major scale shape:

---5--7--9------------------------------------ (I don't know how to post tabs with forum tools so I typed by hand)
------------5--7--9-----------------------------
---------------------6--7--9----------------------
------------------------------6--7--9----------------
---------------------------------------7--9--10--------
-------------------------------------------------7--9--10

Back then, I was playing scales, or lets say basically anything related with alternate picking with only one of my finger touching to frets. For example, to play 5--7--9, I put my index to 5 and pick the string, after that I lift my index finger and put my middle finger to 7, and so on..

This type of play is maybe fine for going down, but when it comes to playing backwards (like 9-7-5) it sounds so bad I can't even find the words to describe how terrible I feel. It sounds very unconnected, there are little gaps between notes which you can't hear exactly but enough to take away all the musicality, the flow of music.

I asked my former guitar instructor about that. He said, to play these type of partitions, I should do a kind of "spider-walk" on the frets. For example when a triplet like 9--7--5 appears, I must put my pinky finger to 9 and middle finger to 7 simultaneously. For a while I played like this but the problem was still there.

Now, I'm trying to incorporate pull-offs to play these, e.g. to play 9-7-5, every finger takes their place at the same time and, for example when going from 9 to 7, I both pick the string and pull off to the note. Playing like this sounds better than anything else I came up with, but still, STILL it didn't disappear completely.

I seriously need to get rid of this for whatever I play it simply does not sounds right. I'll post a rec as soon as possible for clarification. And again, thanks for taking me on smile.gif

Good morning Cem!

your problem is solvable tongue.gif a video recording would greatly help, but out of what I am figuring out, you are having some sync issues which, with the proper practicing habits, will vanish in no time smile.gif Nothing can't be fixed if worked on slow enough to sound perfect and sped up while sounding perfect!

Let's see a little recording and take it from there, ok? What else are you working on at the moment?

Cosmin

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 17 2012, 09:18 AM
Learning Tone Master
Hmm, synchronization.. I've never thought of that but it perfectly makes sense. Yesterday, I fooled around trying to take a record which would point out my problem, but strange enough I failed to do so mellow.gif. Currently, I am following Ben's Bushido tasks, I took a record for the third task you can check it out for a sight of my play.

I will take a record for the fourth task ASAP as it is rather relevant with my problem here.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 17 2012, 09:43 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 17 2012, 08:18 AM) *
Hmm, synchronization.. I've never thought of that but it perfectly makes sense. Yesterday, I fooled around trying to take a record which would point out my problem, but strange enough I failed to do so mellow.gif. Currently, I am following Ben's Bushido tasks, I took a record for the third task you can check it out for a sight of my play.

I will take a record for the fourth task ASAP as it is rather relevant with my problem here.

Hey mate! Technically, it looks like your chops are pretty healthy indeed! Very nice! But there are little timing issues, so focus on being dead on time. It is very curious to me that you encountered problems such as the one described previously. Please try to film yourself playing, because I am really curious to see what you meant with the troublesome exercise smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 20 2012, 07:57 PM
Learning Tone Master
So, here is my question I mentioned in the video chat:

1 - I want to play with other musicians, but when I feel someone else's presence while playing, my hands go out of my control. I can't even play the simplest thing without making mistakes. How can I overcome this?

Actually had more but I forgot sad.gif . Will ask here as they come, Cheers !

This post has been edited by Cem: Feb 20 2012, 08:42 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 20 2012, 08:37 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 20 2012, 06:57 PM) *
So, here is my question I mentioned in the video chat:

1 - I want to play with other musicians, but when I feel someone else's presence while playing, my hands go out of my control. I can't even play the simplest thing without making mistakes. How should I overcome this?

Actually had more but I forgot sad.gif . Will ask here as they come, Cheers !

Cem! Do not panic, my friend smile.gif I had THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM - time and playing A LOT with A LOT of people and around A LOT of people will help overcome this wink.gif

Let me tell you a little story smile.gif

In 2007 I had to perform in a guitar festival in another city here in Romania. The organizer was a very annoying guy who came to attend ALL the rehearsals and was staring at us in dismay ALL the time laugh.gif at some point I felt like I couldn't play one lousy note. I had to play Tender Surrender by Steve Vai and Baluchitherium by Van Halen. Needless to say, my emotions were killing everything, and the performance had to suffer...Well, I became more and more confident in my playing skills and grew a healthy attitude like 'I am the guitar player and I came here to play!' things went better and better until I ended up ENJOYING what I'm doing, not worrying about nasty faces wink.gif

Keep this in mind and you won't lose control because of that, ever! biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your questions mate!

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 22 2012, 09:04 PM
Learning Tone Master
Okay, today I got my axe back from luthier, so

tongue.gif

As you recommended in video chat, I started Ben's Land of Legato series from head first, I will post recordings for every lesson as the time passes. In the meantime, I would also like to work on my rhythm play, I have surprisingly little experience in that area. So, what do you got for me, Cosmin?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 23 2012, 11:01 AM
Instructor
Oh EDDARD STARK biggrin.gif I love 'A song of ice and fire'! Just finishing the 5th book biggrin.gif

Mate, rhythm playing is essential for lead playing wink.gif a guitarist with a good rhythm sense will ALWAYS best a lead player who never payed any attention to this aspect.

I would focus on rock and funk for the beginning, as your chops will be greatly improved by these two styles. Let's see now, do you want something more aggressive or less? I am asking this because, out of the video, your technique will allow you to tackle stuff which could be a little more difficult than beginner lessons.

Let me know and let's rock n roll biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 23 2012, 07:05 PM
Learning Tone Master
Aggressive. Let's rock ph34r.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 24 2012, 08:08 AM
Learning Tone Master
About yesterday's video chat, I don't know whether or not I stayed until the end of video chat but the truth is I was fast asleep after 30 mins of my joining. Sorry about that sad.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 24 2012, 09:12 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 24 2012, 07:08 AM) *
About yesterday's video chat, I don't know whether or not I stayed until the end of video chat but the truth is I was fast asleep after 30 mins of my joining. Sorry about that sad.gif

Take it easy my friend wink.gif no problemmo - we can catch up next time. Check this out: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-guitar/

Thsi lesson will help a LOT with improving your rhythm playing - it has phrases which are not so straightforward - it is not too easy as well, but as I said, let's push things a tiny bit wink.gif

What say you my friend?

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 24 2012, 09:36 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Feb 24 2012, 08:12 AM) *
Take it easy my friend wink.gif no problemmo - we can catch up next time. Check this out: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-rhythm-guitar/

Thsi lesson will help a LOT with improving your rhythm playing - it has phrases which are not so straightforward - it is not too easy as well, but as I said, let's push things a tiny bit wink.gif

What say you my friend?

Truth is, you couldn't have picked a better lesson, and I sincerely mean that laugh.gif . This lesson is absolutely within my reach but refining and nailing it down is going to be tough. I really couldn't asked for a better first lesson, thanks Cosmin !

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 24 2012, 09:37 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 24 2012, 08:36 AM) *
Truth is, you couldn't have picked a better lesson, and I sincerely mean that laugh.gif . This lesson is absolutely within my reach but refining and nailing it down is going to be tough. I really couldn't asked for a better first lesson, thanks Cosmin !

My pleasure wink.gif let's rock matey!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 26 2012, 07:32 PM
Learning Tone Master
I can play the track at 120 but somewhat my palm-muted notes sound very sloppy. Can you give me advice regarding of this?

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2012, 07:37 PM
Instructor
Hey Cem smile.gif tightness in palm muting comes from confidence built on slow studying - slowing it down and make the chugged notes sound really well defined - follow this definition throughout raising the tempo biggrin.gif you'll end up with the palm muting sounding as a machine gun wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Feb 26 2012, 09:33 PM
Learning Tone Master
So standard approach is sufficient enough tongue.gif. Will post a record as soon as I get over it.

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 26 2012, 10:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cem @ Feb 26 2012, 08:33 PM) *
So standard approach is sufficient enough tongue.gif. Will post a record as soon as I get over it.

If you still encounter any trouble, I am here, but yes, it is pretty much paying attention to being tight and playing clean wink.gif

+Quote Post
Cem
Mar 4 2012, 07:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
I took several records yesterday, including the task you have given to me and random stuff as well in order to reveal more about my play.

http://soundcloud.com/cengiz-kaygusuz

I put comments on every track about my opinions on them. Will be looking forward for feedback.

This post has been edited by Cem: Mar 4 2012, 07:57 PM

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Mar 5 2012, 12:01 PM
Instructor
Hey Cem! Wussup mate? I have listened to all of your recordings and I think that they will be greatly improved if you will play them against a metronome while recording - rhythmic support will greatly increase you confidence! The last track - I think it's very good, everything seems pretty clear and clean, good timing and tone smile.gif

Would you like to move on to another one? Should we raise the bar a bit? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 05:52 AM