2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Why Do Rib Injuries...
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 10:21 AM
Instructor
... hurt so much ? dry.gif

I caught a fist in my ribs at Karate 2 days ago.. it wasn't a hard punch, only a glancing blow that was an accident. However, it hurts like hell when I cough or sneeze (sneezing is the worst). I don't mean to make it sound big because it's nothing really, but it makes me appreciate and understand how horrible it must be when people break a rib. Has anyone here ever had an injury to their ribs ? Tell us all tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ulrik
Sep 16 2011, 10:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
I guess it's because you can not really relax that area, you have constant movement when breathing.
You have a lot of small and some larger mussels in the thorax, trying to protect the area, and then they start hurting.
Then you also have some large nerves running just along your ribs.

I heard that a lot of elite rowers have stress fractures of the ribs.
Fortunately I never broke any bones (or maybe my little finger once did)

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ulrik: Sep 16 2011, 10:31 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 10:33 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ulrik @ Sep 16 2011, 10:30 AM) *
I guess it's because you can not really relax that area, you have constant movement when breathing.
You have a lot of small and some larger mussels in the thorax, trying to protect the area, and then they start hurting.
Then you also have some large nerves running just along your ribs.

I heard that a lot of elite rowers have stress fractures of the ribs.
Fortunately I never broke any bones (or maybe my little finger once did)

Yeah, I guess so.. and also there's not a lot of flesh covering the ribs so when the ribs move (when breathing etc) it pushes onto the bruised area of your muscles.. I'm assuming so anyway biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 16 2011, 10:57 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 16 2011, 11:21 AM) *
how horrible it must be when people break a rib.

Maybe you broke one? It doesn't actually have to come completely off when it's broken but just have a crack to it.
The good thing with ribs is that they stay put and heal by themselves.

I cracked my dads rib once with an uppercut to the body. ... huh.gif While we were practicing boxing, all in good spirit tongue.gif He felt the blow ofc but the pain only came the day after. The rib had a crack. After between 1-2 weeks it was healed.

Now maybe you learned that you should block blows at Karate practice biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 11:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Sep 16 2011, 10:57 AM) *
Now maybe you learned that you should block blows at Karate practice biggrin.gif

I thought we were supposed to block them with our body ? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 16 2011, 11:36 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
I cracked a rib a couple of years ago, hurt like hell for weeks, worst part was I caught a cold as well and the only way I could cough was to push my chest against the wall otherwise it felt like my whole insides were gunan explode outwards, extremely painful!! dont envy you there!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 16 2011, 11:59 AM
Learning Roadie
Ah Rib injuries.....they are certainly not fun.

I know someone that broke a rib once, wasn't a happy chap. If you did break a rib, you wouldn't be able to breath, lift your arms, or even walk....

They are so easy to bruise and damage, when i used to do Muay Thai i copped a few good ones, takes about 3 weeks to fully get over bruised ribs. I think its cause there is so many nerves muscles and bone in that area...and when breathing it expands so when there is a bit of damage, even minor, you really feel it.

Ben, tell the 9yr old girls you do karate with to go easy wink.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 12:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 11:59 AM) *
Ben, tell the 9yr old girls you do karate with to go easy wink.gif

Actually........... they're only 7. dry.gif

QUOTE (Chris Evans @ Sep 16 2011, 11:36 AM) *
I cracked a rib a couple of years ago, hurt like hell for weeks, worst part was I caught a cold as well and the only way I could cough was to push my chest against the wall otherwise it felt like my whole insides were gunan explode outwards, extremely painful!! dont envy you there!

A cold as well ??!! That is just bad luck gone wrong ! mad.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 16 2011, 12:09 PM
Learning Roadie
[quote name='Ben Higgins' date='Sep 16 2011, 11:06 AM' post='543671']
Actually........... they're only 7. dry.gif

Haha...Tell em Santa doesn't exist then....

Hopefully you'll be back to "Normal" soon mate.... I saw a recent study on the Internet in regards to rib injuries...apparantly lots of Beer helps...so give it a try....? cool.gif

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 12:30 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 12:09 PM) *
Hopefully you'll be back to "Normal" soon mate.... I saw a recent study on the Internet in regards to rib injuries...apparantly lots of Beer helps...so give it a try....? cool.gif

Hmmm, I think I'm going to approach you for medical advice from now on wink.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 16 2011, 01:15 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 16 2011, 12:06 PM) *
A cold as well ??!! That is just bad luck gone wrong ! mad.gif

mine was only cracked I hate to think what a proper broken rib would feel like, youch!! theres not an awful lot they could do for me, I just had to keep it strapped up.

I rather like the "lots of beer" remedy though! biggrin.gif providing you dont drink too much and end up falling over and making things ten times worse lol

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 03:21 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 12:09 PM) *

Hey, just realised I can refer to you as Dr Davis... which reminds of..

Listen to the spoken intro..

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 16 2011, 03:31 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 16 2011, 02:21 PM) *
Hey, just realised I can refer to you as Dr Davis... which reminds of..

Listen to the spoken intro..

rolleyes.gif Haha....you just made my night! That is awesome!!!! biggrin.gif ....BUT raises the question...."how the hell did you find/remember that?"

And I have been listening to Motley / Mick Mars since i was about 12yrs old.....I love how he mixes Metal riffs with "Bluey" solo's....Love his style and expresiion on the guitar.....

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 03:32 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JaxN4 @ Sep 16 2011, 03:31 PM) *
rolleyes.gif Haha....you just made my night! That is awesome!!!! biggrin.gif ....BUT raises the question...."how the hell did you find/remember that?"

And I have been listening to Motley / Mick Mars since i was about 12yrs old.....I love how he mixes Metal riffs with "Bluey" solo's....Love his style and expresiion on the guitar.....

I used to have an old cassette of this back when I was starting out on guitar allllll those years ago biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
JD_
Sep 16 2011, 03:35 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Sep 16 2011, 02:32 PM) *
I used to have an old cassette of this back when I was starting out on guitar allllll those years ago biggrin.gif

I listened to this 100 times when I was a young boy...not once did i Pick up that they mentioned my last name in their intro....

Wiki-Higgins, you have done well, You made an Old Man smile....

Dr. Davis..... Out

This post has been edited by JaxN4: Sep 16 2011, 03:52 PM

--------------------
ESP E2 VIPER CAMO,
ENGL INFERNO 100w,
TWO NOTES CAPTOR X

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 16 2011, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I ones got a crack in a rib when playing Ice hockey. I remeber i was chasing a puck all over the ice to score on the empty net but i was too late so i throwe myself in order to prevent the icing call and then i went into the boards and hit my shoulder.

I remember that hit like it was yesterday. The moment i hit the board i was gasping for air and i could barelly get any and that was kind of scary. I couldent move so i got to ride an ambulance to the hospital to get an x-ray and they said that i got a crack in the rib.

Anyway when i got home i had very big problems moving around, i mean getting out of bed took several minutes i couldent bend over so i couldent pick anything from the floor. it was not easy for me by that time.

Several weeks later i still had problems with it and the problem remember most was that when i walked i leaned my body to my right and it lokked really wired.

This happened in 2002

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 16 2011, 07:54 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (superize @ Sep 16 2011, 07:51 PM) *
I ones got a crack in a rib when playing Ice hockey. I remeber i was chasing a puck all over the ice to score on the empty net but i was too late so i throwe myself in order to prevent the icing call and then i went into the boards and hit my shoulder.

I remember that hit like it was yesterday. The moment i hit the board i was gasping for air and i could barelly get any and that was kind of scary. I couldent move so i got to ride an ambulance to the hospital to get an x-ray and they said that i got a crack in the rib.

Anyway when i got home i had very big problems moving around, i mean getting out of bed took several minutes i couldent bend over so i couldent pick anything from the floor. it was not easy for me by that time.

Several weeks later i still had problems with it and the problem remember most was that when i walked i leaned my body to my right and it lokked really wired.

This happened in 2002

Man, that must have been crazy.. how long was it before you went back to ice hockey again ?

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Sep 17 2011, 02:30 AM
Instructor
it seems like there's a lot of injured people here at GMC this week tongue.gif

Take it easy guys!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Blister
Sep 17 2011, 04:48 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
The answer is, most probably, due the diaphragm & abdominal muscles trying to their job to keep you alive. I had a rib injury about 10 years ago playing beach volleyball. I dove for a shot (totally missed it of course...but the dive looked cool) & landed on my ribcage. After a few days of pain, I went to to Dr. & he said that we could take an x-ray but whether it was bruised or cracked, the remedy was going to be the same. And the remedy was ..."just give it time!" Not a great answer when it hurts so much to breathe. Not to mention the pain killers didn't kill much of the pain. Sure hope you feel better soon!

Wow, kinda seems like you have a "black cloud" hangin' over you recently. You might consider wearing one of these for a while. laugh.gif

Gary

This post has been edited by Blister: Sep 17 2011, 04:52 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Sep 17 2011, 09:22 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Sep 17 2011, 04:48 AM) *
Wow, kinda seems like you have a "black cloud" hangin' over you recently. You might consider wearing one of these for a while. laugh.gif

Gary

Gary, I think you might be right. They kind of look like an adult baby suit.. but hey, I just as well go with it..... wink.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:02 PM