Update On Buying A New Guitar
Mike Seddon
Apr 14 2008, 07:34 PM
GMC:er
Guys I posted a while back that I was in the throws of buying a new guitar and I asked for some advice.

As always you all came up trumps.

So today, I had an hour to kill and I went over to my local guitar shop (Regent Guitars - www.guitars.co.uk).

I wanted to try a Cort M600 and a Gordon Smith GS2.

First the bad news. They had neither.

The very helpful assistant handed me another Cort that he said had the same pickups. Nice feeling guitar. Very low action. Too low unfortunately as any notes played on the bottom three frets buzzed badly on the frets.

They did have a Gordon Smith GS1. Nice guitar. Lovely action. Neck was fatter than my Les Paul copy so it felt a bit of a stretch but maybe I would have got used to it. The Coil tap knob was loose and actually came off in my hand - so that was a little off putting.

I then picked up a Godin Freeway. Felt nice but I could not get it into tune and once I got close it kept going out of tune.

Then the guy came back clutching a Cort M600 that had only arrived that day (two in fact).

Nice guitar. Lovely action but again the neck is wider than I am used to. Although I wonder if I could get used to that.

One overriding complaint about all of them was the sound was muddy.

I like clean tones and I jsu couldn't seem to get a nice clean sound I liked.

They put me through a Line 6 Spider so I would have thought that should be a very adequate amp for the job.

Still, my first day really trying new guitars and an experience.

The Gordin Smith GS1 has definitely made me want to try a GS2.

I'll keep you posted on how I do.

I'm still of a mind to upgrade my existing Les Paul copy. Had it years. I'm used to it. It just needs new pickups, pots, action setting etc....

Cheers
Mike

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:50 PM