Equalization For The Complete Beginner
Chris S.
Sep 10 2015, 05:11 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys!

So I'm slowly learning how to become better at mixing, and one area that I struggled with was proper equalization. I came across this video and free PDF file and it has really simplified everything down and made it a lot easier to understand - hopefully this will help someone else:

It's a 4-Part tutorial:

and the PDF - the last page is super helpful as a rough guideline of what frequencies compliment particular instruments:

Attached File  Wickiemedia_equalizers_sheet.pdf ( 5.73MB ) Number of downloads: 272

Hope it helps someone else out as much as it has me biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Chris S.: Sep 10 2015, 05:11 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Mertay
Sep 10 2015, 07:40 PM
GMC:er
Cool smile.gif

One advice though, experience and "toying" with eq plug-ins is really a key to learning eq. Simply have fun with it, either use an entire track or specific recordings of solo instruments it really doesn't matter.

I remember stricking to a specific eq plug-in and did all my experimenting with it. What helped was after a while the visual representation helped me memorise the freq.s by ear in time. I think it was the waves renaissance eq;

Doesn't matter what eq though cause they all look like this anyway nowadays. This adapts to everything and important to have the discipline of thought when learning mixing.

The freq. charts are nice when learning, but don't depend on them when working. Like; after a short while you will automatically feel the range limit of a track and start using the eq in proper ranges anyway. Again, have fun smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Sep 10 2015, 07:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris S.
Sep 10 2015, 07:46 PM
Learning Roadie
Solid advice Mertay biggrin.gif

I've been mostly using it as a rough guideline to basically "lay down the foundation" and once I have a solid foundation I start to move frequencies, change values and what not to shape it by ear - so it's kind of the best of both worlds for now tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 5 2015, 07:17 PM
GMC:er
Very spiff vid! The entire series is really quite good. Thanks for the share!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:28 AM