Ibanez Fixed Bridge Compatibility
Wyverex
Nov 5 2016, 07:56 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
After changing strings (and gauge) on my Ibanez RG421EX today, I realized that the intonation screw hole on the low E saddle is completely worn out and cannot properly hold the intonation screw anymore when moving the saddle away from the neck. So I cannot adjust intonation on that string (it's off by at least a quarter note on the 12th fret dry.gif )

While looking for replacement parts I found that I can basically go two routes now: Replace the whole bridge or get a new set of saddles. It's a standard Ibanez Fixed Bridge and apparently goes for around 25 bucks (although it seems that I have to wait some weeks to get one in Germany...).

Graphtech saddles look promising too, but considering the price for a full set I thought, why not just upgrade the bridge then? The Ibanez Tight End bridge seems to be a great alternative (and I could get one in a few days).

But what I wasn't able to find out yet is whether the Tight End and Fixed bridges are compatible in terms of mounting screws. The look compatible on pictures but the screw spacing might still be different. Does anyone know about this? (Or have some other suggestion what I should do?)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Mertay
Nov 5 2016, 08:11 PM
GMC:er
I couldn't find the mesurement with a quick search but to my memory the tight-end's spacing of saddles is wider (floyd-rose size) than classic. Try getting info on that first as it'll probably be a problem if string spacing is different.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Nov 5 2016, 08:26 PM
I just measured my fixed bridge and it is definitely F-Spaced. And according to this thread: http://www.seymourduncan.com/forum/showthr...ight-End-Bridge
the Tight End bridge is as well, so there shouldn't be a problem with that.

Seeing the picture in that thread though, I'm starting to think that the mounting holes might be just a little wider apart than with the Fixed Bridge mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 5 2016, 09:57 PM
Yeah seems so, but I'm positive a luthier would have the right ingredient (wood glue?) to fill the holes if needed. Also the placement of the bridge is critical as if placed too forward or back then the intonation lenght might not be enough.

Do you have a luthier in your area? doesn't seem like a super time consuming job so there's a chance he/she might not charge too much.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 5 2016, 09:57 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Nov 6 2016, 10:01 AM
I did more research and I think there is no room for adjustment concerning the bridge placement since both bridges have holes where the strings go through. They would have to be perfectly aligned to the holes in the guitar body. This would only become a problem if Ibanez was using different scale lengths for both bridges. Or am I oversimplifiying things here?

In their current line up the standard models have the Fixed Bridge and the Premium ones have the Tight End R bridge. Both use a scale length of 648mm, so if I'm not mistaken, I should be able to just line up the string holes correctly. Given that the mounting hole placement on the Tight End R is all "inside" the saddle area and for the Fixed Bridge they are completely "outside" I should just need to drill 6 new holes in to the guitar body. The old holes "should" be covered automatically by the larger Tight End bridge (at least the neck facing ones. I probably have to cover the rear ones somehow).
So I think they should be compatible (and the Tight End R even looks better than the Tight End cool.gif )

I do have a luthier in town but if it's as simple as I think it is, I might just get away with doing it myself? Has anyone tried to replace bridges yet?

This post has been edited by Wyverex: Nov 6 2016, 10:07 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 6 2016, 11:37 PM
Wish I could be of more help here but all my Ibby's are trem based with fine tuners. No matter how it ends ups going, you can always get a stock bridge for cheap from the sound of it. An reason for switching to the non standard bridge?

+Quote Post
Wyverex
Nov 7 2016, 12:04 PM
I can get a stock bridge, that's correct (although I haven't found a local dealer yet that has one in stock, so I'm probably looking at a waiting time of several weeks).
My thinking with upgrading was, given the fact that the stock bridge gave out after just a year (and I didn't even play that guitar very much) and considering the stock bridge is a really cheap part in comparison, I'd rather invest in a better bridge in the hopes that those have better quality saddles that last considerably longer.

This post has been edited by Wyverex: Nov 7 2016, 12:04 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Nov 7 2016, 03:24 PM
I'd say upgrading the stock bridge with the same designed one would work fine. Something japanese or USA should work for a very long time.

On the other hand the tight-end bridge isn't exactly the same design as it has locking saddles. It will affect tone (probably in a good way but can't be sure) but you'll simply have to deal with the hassle cause what you want to attempt is pretty rare. You might want to try some ibanez forums but I wouldn't expect a lot of info.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Nov 7 2016, 03:25 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 04:23 PM