7 String Vs Baritone
Cosmin Lupu
May 8 2012, 05:08 PM
Instructor
My friends smile.gif let's say that Santa is coming early this year and because you have been practicing like crazy over here at GMC, he is kind enough to offer you an awesome gift:

A 7 string or a baritone of your choice wink.gif what would you choose and why? You only get to pick one type of guitar so, think then tell us which one would you have for yourself?

I already made my choice - the baritone - because it allows me to play low tunings without altering the shapes of the chords and note positions. Plus, the neck through body offers incredible sustain wink.gif

your turn to pick tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
thefireball
May 8 2012, 05:54 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 8 2012, 11:08 AM) *
My friends smile.gif let's say that Santa is coming early this year and because you have been practicing like crazy over here at GMC, he is kind enough to offer you an awesome gift:

A 7 string or a baritone of your choice wink.gif what would you choose and why? You only get to pick one type of guitar so, think then tell us which one would you have for yourself?

I already made my choice - the baritone - because it allows me to play low tunings without altering the shapes of the chords and note positions. Plus, the neck through body offers incredible sustain wink.gif

your turn to pick tongue.gif

Oh Cosmin.... happy.gif My constant daydream is about this choice. I would want a 7 String, even though I would love to have both. I would want a 7 string to be able play solos, and go drop tunings for heavy stuff. I could show people the two sides of me - soloing and heavy riffing!! biggrin.gif

I think right now I would like to say a Mayones guitar, with Bareknuckle pickups. The guitar finish could be that greenish wood color. The pickups could be the Aftermaths, I suppose. I am a big fan of Pete in Red Seas Fire. He has an 8 string with this setup - but I believe he switched out the Aftermaths for something with less output. Whatever the guitar I would get, I want the 7 string to be a baritone scale. I want to use thinner strings with the same kind of tension for that Djenty sound. Huge strings just give a different tone, that I'm not really into right now.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
SpaseMoonkey
May 8 2012, 06:19 PM
GMC:er
It's almost like I answered this else where just recently! laugh.gif

I choose the baritone, but it helps that I've also had a 7 string and rarely used it. The only thing I really enjoyed about it was the fact it had a 27" scale neck on it. So I would chooses you Gibson Explorer! I believe they just made them and Les Pauls both in a 28" scale baritone. The Explorer has silver burst on it. I would swap the pickups out for something a bit nicer than the stock 496/500 considering I just tossed in a set of EMG JH in my current explorer. But I would love to give Bareknuckle pickups a try.

--------------------
Guitars:
Ibanez S770PB (Natural Flat) , Ibanez XPT700 (Chameleon) , Sterling J Richardson Signature , Squire IV Jazz Bass (Sunburst)
Gear:
Neural DSP Plugins

My YouTube Page.

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 8 2012, 10:16 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
7 string 27" or 30" scale depending on tuning preference.

Extended range, always a plus smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
May 8 2012, 11:46 PM
Great question and it really does come down to personal preference of course, but I already had to make the decision myself and went with a 7 and the later an 8 string. I must say though it made things a bit tough for a while as you have to learn your patterns/shapes/scales down to a new string (Low B and C on the 8) and it takes a while to get used to the new shapes. Not to mention the chord structures. Still struggling with the 8 string as a matter of fact.

The handy thing is that with 7/8 etc., you still have a 6 string built in but with extra strings. The LAME bit is that the low strings will RUMBLE and add noise unless you are very careful with your palm muting, especially with wads of gain/distortion. So it's a serious trade off.

That said, I'd still like to have a good BARITONE! I don't have one yet sad.gif
Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: May 8 2012, 11:51 PM

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
May 9 2012, 12:04 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
I think people forget that 8 strings and above are aimed at either a very specific kind of metal, in which normal riffing on a 6 string is just not used, at all, ala Meshuggah. Or aimed towards multi-scale, multi-instrument jazz/blues/ and fusion players who use the guitar more as a piano style of instrument.

Unless you write music like Meshuggah, there isn't a whole lot of room for use of an 8 string that can't be done with a 7 string and longer scale, as extended ranges is always a plus, I think it presents creative difficulties unless your mindset is naturally in that area of controlling powerful single notes, as the chordal definition begins to suffer a little with lower tunings.

That being said, 8 strings are incredibly comfortable to play sitting down classical style, you should try that todd, standing up though is almost impossible for me! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 9 2012, 10:20 AM
Instructor
Wow biggrin.gif 28' scale Gibson baritone with Bareknuckles ? Santa must be VERY generous! biggrin.gif

Those pickups can turn anything into a mean rock machine - I got a friend owning a cheap Ibanez baritone (he payed about 300 dollars on it on ebay) once he slapped a Bareknuckle Cold Sweat in the bridge. Bam! Instant success laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Cosmin Lupu: May 9 2012, 10:21 AM

+Quote Post
Yash
May 9 2012, 01:19 PM
I'd like a Jackson Chris Broderick 7 String soloist

--------------------

+Quote Post
vonhotch
May 10 2012, 02:07 AM
I have been wanting to try a multi scale 7 string something like a 25"-27".

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 10 2012, 07:42 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vonhotch @ May 10 2012, 01:07 AM) *
I have been wanting to try a multi scale 7 string something like a 25"-27".

Hey mate, what would your weapon of choice be? smile.gif Any favorite brands?

+Quote Post
vonhotch
May 10 2012, 08:06 PM
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 10 2012, 06:42 AM) *
Hey mate, what would your weapon of choice be? smile.gif Any favorite brands?

I have an ESP ltd f207 that I love. So if I couldn't have some off the wall custom, I'd defiantely settle for one of these.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
May 11 2012, 09:02 AM
Instructor
Oh nice! These always left the impression that they are Gibson SGs smile.gif but at a closer look .. 7 strings tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:24 PM