Solo Help!, Confused about where the F – F E7 comes from within the A minor key
Georgia Rocker
Jan 31 2013, 06:59 PM
GMC:er
Trying to understand the solo on Slash complete solo ballad v1.... It says it in the key of Aminor scale, which I understand and play alot in the key..but where I get lost is Harmony of the solo F – F E7 , Am – F – C – G E7, and so on....are these chords that are playing out of the scale? where do they come from and how do you get them??? Im new to the theory but trying to learn it...Is there a lesson out there to better understand this..I know its probably very basic to alot of you..I understand alot where the 1,4,5 progressions and other progressions come from the major\minor scales. Just cant get seem to grasp this here. Help...

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2013, 07:16 PM
Instructor
Hi Georgia! That's one of the most used variations in minor tonalities. As you noticed A minor tonality has Em as the V chord but in this case, Lucio used E7 chord. This change is done in many progressions to give the V chord more tension and the only thing that you have to do is to switch from A minor to A harmonic minor over that chord if you are creating a melody or improvising a solo.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
The Professor
Jan 31 2013, 08:47 PM
Theory Instructor
QUOTE (Georgia Rocker @ Jan 31 2013, 05:59 PM) *
Trying to understand the solo on Slash complete solo ballad v1.... It says it in the key of Aminor scale, which I understand and play alot in the key..but where I get lost is Harmony of the solo F – F E7 , Am – F – C – G E7, and so on....are these chords that are playing out of the scale? where do they come from and how do you get them??? Im new to the theory but trying to learn it...Is there a lesson out there to better understand this..I know its probably very basic to alot of you..I understand alot where the 1,4,5 progressions and other progressions come from the major\minor scales. Just cant get seem to grasp this here. Help...

Hey, good question.

As was mentioned the E7 comes from Harmonic Minor. If you were to think of this progression as Roman Numerals, or scale degree numbers, it would be.

bVI-V7-im-bVI-bIII-bVI-V7

In minor, we tend to mix chords in from Natural Minor, Harmonic Minor, Melodic Minor, Dorian and sometimes even Phrygian to build our chord progressions. The technical term for this is "modal borrowing." As you are borrowing chords from the different minor scales to build your chord progression.

The most important note of this progression would be the G# from the E7 chord, which is spelled E G# B D. The G# is the leading tone in the key of Am, and without it you couldn't have a proper cadence back to the tonic chord.

So, the E7, V7, in this key is used to create a tension that is then resolved back to the im7 chord, Am, bringing a release to that tension.

Hope that helps!

--------------------
Ask me anything on the theory board. Follow my theory course. Check out my personal site

+Quote Post
Georgia Rocker
Feb 1 2013, 07:10 AM
GMC:er
I get it ...Thanks alot Gabriel and Professor..It all makes sense now. Sometimes I need to slow down a little, just scared that I'll catch up to myself if I do...Thanks alot

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 04:19 PM