> HEY MAN, I really need your help...

...the thing is, I need you to start progressing faster then ever, but to achieve that I need your help:

* Don't know where to start? Just pm me and we will sort it out directly, I am online every day.

* Join My Army. Sounds aggressive? It is! We can study anything from the most fearsome picking techniques to bombastic songwriting. A medal of honor awaits the brave. Seriously, this is an opportunity for you to get a personalised learning experience...what are you waiting for?!

* Join my next video chat! GMC startpage holds a video chat schedule. We always cover a lot of ground and have fun. Remember that you don't need any previous knowledge, and you can be passive in the chat.

* Jam with me - you will find active collabs here.

* Post a topic on this board, guitar related or not - doesn't matter! You will find that chatting with instructors boosts your motivation to practice.

* You haven't missed my latest video lessons, have you?

* Finally I want to tell you a secret. Nah I changed my mind - pm me instead ;)

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >  
Yoncopin's Thread, for Gab's Army
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 29 2017, 03:51 PM
Instructor
Hi mate!! This stuff is very interesting. I'll save the video for watching later. I always think that days should be longer because there are lots of amazing things to learn / do. That's why I don't really understand that people that says "I'm bored". laugh.gif

About the guitar voicing question. I wonder if you've ever studied drop 2 and drop 3 voicings. If not, there you'll start finding your answer. We have many lessons about it at GMC.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 13 2017, 08:56 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Gab, so the soloing over chords started to get a bit boring, and I was playing guitar less and less so I decided to change things up. I played a few easy lessons and jammed over some backing tracks for a while. I mentioned in another thread, how I wanted to write music, but I feel like I just don't know how. I was hoping you could help, maybe guide me through the process with small assignments to help me a finish a single track. Just so I could see how it's done... I tried to sit down and force myself to write something today, and got about as far as I usually do, 4 bars and a drum loop and now I'm stuck. I'm not sure what to do next, I was trying to make something Pink Floyd-like. The piano patch is just the default for the synth I was using. I like the chords, but am not sure what to do next. Do you think we can work on this somehow? Can you teach me how to do this?

http://soundcloud.com/pragmapack/chords/s-Zj46P

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 13 2017, 08:58 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 14 2017, 03:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I sat down again this evening and tried to convert that chord progression onto my guitar. It didn't go very well. It wasn't written for guitar and just doesn't sound good, and definitely not what I was hoping for. I'm starting to think maybe I'm going about this wrong (well of course I am). Maybe I should try taking apart the riffs/chords of some songs and artists I like. I think we did a song deconstruction once before and nothing really came of it, but that isn't writing songs, which is how you get better at... writing songs. I've been working on solos so long now, I feel like I can't write a decent riff. It's like the pentatonic scale I was stuck with before, but now it's that I only really can use barre chords and they aren't expressive enough, but with distortion, fuller chords don't sound good either. It'd be great to be able to write a 1-2 min instrumental piece, like the GMC lessons, that was complete with backing.

Ugh, I'm really frustrated, I can't believe I'm saying this, but maybe I should just give up making my own music and just learn other people's songs. I can figure out a lot of things, but for some reason I just can't seem to figure out how to learn this. It's not just that I can't write a song, it's that I can't even learn how to write a song.

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 14 2017, 03:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2017, 01:55 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Some better progress last night, I found a different technique on a Youtube video. I knew I needed to put my guitar down to compose, because my fingers want to do the same things, which is why I tried to make the previous chord progression with a MIDI keyboard. That didn't work, so this time I tried a microphone and humming a track into the DAW. Then I could find the chords on the guitar. It worked MUCH better and wasn't nearly as laborious. I have two parts now, with some overdubs and am going to work on a bridge tonight. It's a sloppy muddled mess, but is just a sketch to find the actual song. Next, I can practice, record and mix the real thing and hopefully have completed my first song ever.... We'll see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 05:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, here I am!

I would really like to help you. I have a teaching method that is similar to develop your own licks and phrasing, but applied to a whole song. It's not how you'd compose your own album, but it's the best way I know to train our composing skills and to incorporate the vocabulary learnt by analyzing our favorite songs.

What do you say?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2017, 05:09 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes Yes! I'll give anything you think will help a try

QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Aug 15 2017, 12:03 PM) *
Hi mate, here I am!

I would really like to help you. I have a teaching method that is similar to develop your own licks and phrasing, but applied to a whole song. It's not how you'd compose your own album, but it's the best way I know to train our composing skills and to incorporate the vocabulary learnt by analyzing our favorite songs.

What do you say?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 15 2017, 05:21 PM
Instructor
Well, at first the secret is to not stop, not think too much. Be confident and focus on one goal: finish the song.

You'll start writing down the structure of a song that you like and that will be your structure for the song. You don't have to think on what's next, you have it there.

Now that you have the structure, it's time to write midi drums. You can take the groove of any other song that you like and write it down. At this point you don't have chords or riffs so it can be simple, and then you adapt it. You don't need to have a 3 minutes drum track yet, it's ok if you have 1 minute (intro, verse, pre chorus, chorus) to start working on other stuff.

So, that's the first assignment. I'll wait for the structure in words, and drums in a one minute track.

Deal?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2017, 05:47 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, ok. I'm going home to meet a contractor in a bit, so I'll have some time to work uninterrupted before the family gets home. I'll try to finish that assignment tonight. By MIDI drums, do you mean selecting loops for each section, or actually MIDI programming the drum hits manually? If so, I imagine you also mean just the basics like snare, kick, maybe some hi-hat?

--------------------

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 15 2017, 09:48 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok, done. I chose to model my song after Velvet Revolver's Slither

The parts break down to this:
intro
riff
verse
chorus
riff
verse
chorus
bridge/solo
riff
chorus
riff

and here is my drum track to match the song.
https://soundcloud.com/pragmapack/drums1

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 16 2017, 04:33 PM
Instructor
Hi mate, is the track working for you? I don't know why but it doens't play in my computer. Please upload a mp3 file here.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 16 2017, 04:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hmmm, maybe I can see it because I'm logged into Soundcloud... dunno here's the file

Attached File  drums1.mp3 ( 5.53MB ) Number of downloads: 70

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 17 2017, 04:11 PM
Instructor
Excellent! It's time to start building some chord progressions and riffs. The idea is to get a cool riff now but first you need some inspiration. Learn a few cool riffs from other bands than Velvet Revolver. Go for Audioslave, STP, Black Stone Cherry, Alice In Chains. Learn 2 from each and write down the scale used for each.

Then, jam over your drum track creating variations of the riffs. Try things like this:

- Divide the riff in 2, and see keeping one part and changing the other.

- Play one of the riffs but with the rhythm of other riff learnt.

- Took one riff made with Minor Scale and transpose it to pentatonic.

- Transpose a riff, and change the rhythm.

Share here the cooler ideas that you get.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 18 2017, 02:36 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I listened to a few Audioslave and Alice in Chains songs and learned a couple riffs from them. There were a lot of songs in the key of Em, so I went with that because then you can use the open strings. So, here's tonight's riffs kinda merging those two bands into one. What do you think?

Attached File  riffs.mp3 ( 426.94K ) Number of downloads: 56

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 18 2017, 03:40 PM
Instructor
Hi mate! Well done! Can we have at least 5 possible riffs to choose?

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 19 2017, 01:54 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Yes, I'll keep them coming. Here's tonight's Riff #2 For this one I tried Drop D tuning
Attached File  riff2.mp3 ( 480K ) Number of downloads: 63

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 19 2017, 01:55 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 21 2017, 04:19 AM
Instructor
That's really cool! Keep the riff coming until you reach #5.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 23 2017, 06:57 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
It's tough to come up with all these ideas... but here they are riff 3,4 & 5. Some of the later ones I don't think are the best, but I decided I was thinking about it too hard and that was slowing down the creativity, so I just banged them out.

Attached File  riff3.mp3 ( 200.41K ) Number of downloads: 55

Attached File  riff4.mp3 ( 267.35K ) Number of downloads: 64

Attached File  riff5.mp3 ( 373.47K ) Number of downloads: 59

This post has been edited by yoncopin: Aug 23 2017, 07:17 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 24 2017, 04:37 PM
Instructor
Hey mate! This is getting better and better!

My favorite riff is number 4, and number 5 is also interesting. However, you can go for your favorite from the 5 that you've composed.

I even think that both 4 and 5 could be part of the same song. The, we'll see.

The next step is to compose the stuff aroung the riff, so now you have to get back to the first inspiration, Velvet Revolver song.

Analyze how the other sections are related to the main riff:

- What's the relationship between the main riff and the verse?
- What's the relationship between the main riff and the pre-chorus?
- What's the relationship between the main riff and the chorus?

Ideas of answers:

Is the verse and variation of the main riff? Is it the same riff but muted? Is it anything else?

How long is the pre-chorus if there is one? What's the relation between the last chord of the verse and the pre-chorus? Do the drums keep the same groove?

The same with the chorus... relattion between last chord from the pre-chorus and the first from the chorus. Chorus structure: how many chords? how many measures? How many chords per measure?

I think that you can do this analisis with the original song, but also with some other songs of the same type.

Write down all the answers and conclusions.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
yoncopin
Aug 28 2017, 03:15 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Ok great, I'm on it. Sorry for the slow response, I was having a beach weekend with the family.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Aug 28 2017, 06:41 PM
Instructor
Ok! Enjoy your vacation! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post

13 Pages V  « < 9 10 11 12 13 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:15 AM