Need Pro Tools Help, Le 7 + Mbox mini
Smikey2006
Jan 4 2009, 01:14 AM
GMC:er
Alright im sorta desperate at the moment. I got myself a Mbox 2 mini and it came with Protools LE 7. Ive installed pro tools and hooked up the MBox using the USB adaptor i was provided. Ive hooked up my guitar to the Mbox using a standard 1/4inch patch cord. The green light on the front of my Mbox comes on and protools seems to recognize that there is the Mbox attached but no matter what i do i can't get a signal.. can someone either walk me through how to hook this up and how to configure or link me to a good help site.. that would be great!

Other things to mention:
Im running Windows vista sad.gif
I have no idea what im doing
Computers scare me
ive tried the manual

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
skennington
Jan 4 2009, 01:24 AM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
Does the MBox act as a external soundcard? If so, you will need to configure your computer to use it as the capture device. In vista go to control panel > device manager > sound,video and game controllers. click the + to open the drop down box. If you see the mbox, their, enable it. You might have to disable your onboard soundcard as well.

Hope somebody jumps in that owns one to help you man.. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 4 2009, 03:20 PM
i'm not using PT myself (only fiddled around with it at the release-show when PT7 was introduced), but i am fairly familiar with other sequencer, so i can try to help out here with the basic background knowledge on how it should work..

first of all i recommend checking if the mbox is connected and configured properly in vista as skennington already mentioned..

Then the next step is to have PT configured that the MBox is your used input/output device (if you are not sure about this, check manual)..

if you are able to hear other sounds from within PT through your mbox (best thing to check is to test this with the metronome click within PT) then the output is properly configured already and you need to check the incoming signal..

open a new project and create an audio track with the correct inputs (mbox)
make sure that you have "monitoring enabled" on this audio track or you will not be able to hear any of the sound that comes in, because otherwise it'd only play the sounds that are already recorded on that track (and since nothing has been recorded so far it'd be empty, hence you hear nothing)

edit: most non-consumer soundcards/audio interfaces come with a mixer software, so you might want to check if this is set up properly to the correct input and the correct settings (i.e. "instrument" or "line -10dBV" or similar)

This post has been edited by ijustdontgiveaf: Jan 4 2009, 03:31 PM

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 4 2009, 11:46 PM
alright thanks guys! im in the process of trying out your advice.. so far i've disabled my sound card and made sure that the device is enabled.. i really don't know my way around the program too well so i can't even find the metronome sad.gif But i think google knows so im searching. Any more ideas would be appreciated smile.gif

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Dejan Farkas
Jan 5 2009, 09:22 AM
Instructor
ProTools is automatically selecting the sound interface, so if you are able to run ProTools means it is ok. Just make sure that your speakers/monitors are connected to MBOX.

To hear what you're playing you have to click the R button in your audio track, it will turn red. If you still don't hear anything then switch to mixer and try changing the inputs

I recommend some ProTools tutorials on youtube, like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7K8GVhnRfg...feature=related he created tutorials for beginners, intermediate and advanced smile.gif

This post has been edited by Dejan Farkas: Jan 5 2009, 09:27 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 5 2009, 08:05 PM
QUOTE (Smikey2006 @ Jan 4 2009, 11:46 PM) *
alright thanks guys! im in the process of trying out your advice.. so far i've disabled my sound card and made sure that the device is enabled.. i really don't know my way around the program too well so i can't even find the metronome sad.gif But i think google knows so im searching. Any more ideas would be appreciated smile.gif

is there any sound coming out of the MBox, for instance when watching vids on youtube or so?

like this we can eliminate possible causes step by step smile.gif

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 7 2009, 12:55 AM
QUOTE (ijustdontgiveaf @ Jan 5 2009, 02:05 PM) *
is there any sound coming out of the MBox, for instance when watching vids on youtube or so?

like this we can eliminate possible causes step by step smile.gif

Update: I can hear sound from my Mbox.. if i hook up my headphones to my Mbox i can hear what im playing.. i can add gain using the input knobs and all that.. still no signal to my protools tho.. / i don't know how to find the signal.. i also can't figure out how to use the metronome is protools..

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post
Ijdgaf
Jan 7 2009, 09:38 AM
I found this link regarding recording into pro-tools on google, it might be useful for your settings:

http://www.knowthemusicbiz.com/index.php/B...avid-Franz.html

I know it is for mac, but the basics on how to select the input should be similar

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Jan 7 2009, 07:08 PM
Been going through those tutorials THANKS ALOT IVAN! but ive run into a snag.. i set up my click and when i try and play the track i get a warning that says.. Problem detected with audio clock, check that your clock source and sample rate are correct.... what do i do to fix this?

--------------------
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 11:32 AM