Song Suggestion
Brandon Earman
Nov 28 2011, 05:52 AM
Learning Roadie
Happy holidays GMC! I just got a new (used) Taylor 414-CE limited koa wood edition. It is one sweet guitar so far! I want to learn Brent Mason's "First Rule of Thumb" song:

But I think it might be a bit advanced for me at this time. Can anyone suggest a song that would help practice my fingerstyle/jazz technique to better prepare me for the First Rule of Thumb song?

Thanks smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Brandon Earman: Nov 28 2011, 05:53 AM

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Nov 28 2011, 03:21 PM
Instructor
That "walking bass chord comping" technique requires a lot of concentration. I would recommend you to find some PDF how to play this kind of style. It's very important to analyze the progression, and how to create a bass line.It doesn't matter to find a specific song for the exercise but the technique of playing with your thumb!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2011, 05:09 PM
Instructor
Uh, not exactly my specialty but hey, it looks and sounds pretty darn dangerous biggrin.gif do what Sinisa told you biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 28 2011, 06:39 PM
Instructor
Well, should be doable, I think biggest issue here is time issue, until you memorize the piece. The changes itself are not that fast, and you can split it into pieces and practice like that. I notice lots of chords are repeating, with some small variations, so once you get through the half, you'll learn around 80% of it. That fast lick towards the end might represent an obstacle, but you can always skip it/simplify it if it's too hard.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Brandon Earman
Nov 28 2011, 08:06 PM
Learning Roadie
Thanks for your help guys. I will try to get some walking bass comping practice before I tackle this piece.

--------------------
"That's alright I still got my guitar, look out now!" -Hendrix

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Nov 29 2011, 10:53 PM
Instructor
I learned a couple of these standards, and they took me a while but I still play them after months and months, I want to learn more!

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 01:42 PM