Tremolo Help Please ?
Ben Higgins
Nov 21 2013, 01:54 PM
Instructor
Hi guys. I'm most likely going to have to replace my double locking tremolo on my Jackson. It's a 'licensed under Floyd Rose' system. I've never had an original FR.

Only thing is, the measurements of all of the tremolos I've been looking at are bigger than what I have. Some of them are giving measurements of up to 70mm from the front of the plate to the fine tuners. Something of that size would foul on the wood of the guitar. The routed recess is not big enough to accommodate most of the trem systems I've seen on Ebay. In fact, the recess is only approx 73mm long from front to end.

The trem system I've got now is about 58mm from front to back, not including the string things that poke out of the back (whatever they're called ! I call myself a guitar player ??)

So, can any fellow Jackson users help shed some light on this ? Are Jackson tremelo systems smaller than the average systems ? Have any of you needed to swap your stock Jackson trems for a replacement ? If so, did it fit without any modification ?

Help ! wacko.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2013, 09:54 AM
Instructor
Hey Ben smile.gif If you wish, I can speak to the official dealer here in Romania and maybe he can pinpoint me to the correct answer - I'll write them an email today and keep you posted!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 22 2013, 10:03 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 22 2013, 08:54 AM) *
Hey Ben smile.gif If you wish, I can speak to the official dealer here in Romania and maybe he can pinpoint me to the correct answer - I'll write them an email today and keep you posted!

Man, that would be really helpful - thank you smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 22 2013, 10:39 AM
Instructor
Nothing to it mate - writing the email right away!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 27 2013, 02:02 PM
GMC:er
You might look at the EDGE PRO as it's got a much more shallow depth for the cavity required. smile.gif Here is a pic and a link.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_floyd_rose...molo_chrome.htm

Attached Image

QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Nov 21 2013, 07:54 AM) *
Hi guys. I'm most likely going to have to replace my double locking tremolo on my Jackson. It's a 'licensed under Floyd Rose' system. I've never had an original FR.

Only thing is, the measurements of all of the tremolos I've been looking at are bigger than what I have. Some of them are giving measurements of up to 70mm from the front of the plate to the fine tuners. Something of that size would foul on the wood of the guitar. The routed recess is not big enough to accommodate most of the trem systems I've seen on Ebay. In fact, the recess is only approx 73mm long from front to end.

The trem system I've got now is about 58mm from front to back, not including the string things that poke out of the back (whatever they're called ! I call myself a guitar player ??)

So, can any fellow Jackson users help shed some light on this ? Are Jackson tremelo systems smaller than the average systems ? Have any of you needed to swap your stock Jackson trems for a replacement ? If so, did it fit without any modification ?

Help ! wacko.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 27 2013, 02:49 PM
Instructor
Hey Ben - unfortunately, these guys weren't able to help out, as they told me they will have to write to their USA counterpart to find out... sad.gif If it's not a rush, I will bug them a bit more to manage to come up with an answer..

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Nov 27 2013, 03:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
When I changed my licensed under FR on my 7 string, I had to file out a bit more room for the Original FR, but it worked out fine in the end, but that was only like a 10th of an inch. I'm guessing that's not really an option?

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Nov 27 2013, 04:31 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Nov 27 2013, 01:49 PM) *
Hey Ben - unfortunately, these guys weren't able to help out, as they told me they will have to write to their USA counterpart to find out... sad.gif If it's not a rush, I will bug them a bit more to manage to come up with an answer..

No it's ok, C-Man - thanks for doing that - it's my responsibility really smile.gif

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Nov 27 2013, 02:19 PM) *
When I changed my licensed under FR on my 7 string, I had to file out a bit more room for the Original FR, but it worked out fine in the end, but that was only like a 10th of an inch. I'm guessing that's not really an option?

Well I don't know how it would work.. does it not affect the lacquered finish ?

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Nov 27 2013, 01:02 PM) *
You might look at the EDGE PRO as it's got a much more shallow depth for the cavity required. smile.gif Here is a pic and a link.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_floyd_rose...molo_chrome.htm

Cheers T-Master smile.gif

+Quote Post
Insidious
Nov 27 2013, 04:37 PM
Learning Roadie
I could be wrong, but there should be a model # on the underside of your old tremolo. If so, you could google it and find the right part.

--------------------
"Everything in your life is a reflection of a choice you have made. If you want a different result, make a different choice."

+Quote Post
klasaine
Nov 27 2013, 07:27 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Insidious @ Nov 27 2013, 07:37 AM) *
I could be wrong, but there should be a model # on the underside of your old tremolo. If so, you could google it and find the right part.

Jackson may be able to help you - ? I would (literally) call them.
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/company/contact.php

You've probably seen all this but just in case ...
http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/sea...rtno=0062565000
http://www.guitarpartssite.com/Floyd-Rose-Parts-s/227.htm
http://www.allparts.com/floyd-rose

This post has been edited by klasaine: Nov 27 2013, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 28 2013, 12:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
if you cant find ones that will fit, first you will have to find some dowels to fill the holes that you have when you remove the pivot pegs, then glue new dowels in place making sure the dowels are a tight fit and I would use gorilla glue or something that will expand to fill any gaps( I would prefer to have as few and tiny gaps as possible) let cure then drill new holes for new tremolo( as long as you drill holes in right place)and drillin holes in right place is the part that people usually let a pro do, but if they are in the right place- they are in the right place
if you need routing so that the new system will fit, I would take it to a shop at that point

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Nov 28 2013, 09:23 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Nov 27 2013, 11:55 PM) *
if you cant find ones that will fit, first you will have to find some dowels to fill the holes that you have when you remove the pivot pegs, then glue new dowels in place making sure the dowels are a tight fit and I would use gorilla glue or something that will expand to fill any gaps( I would prefer to have as few and tiny gaps as possible) let cure then drill new holes for new tremolo( as long as you drill holes in right place)and drillin holes in right place is the part that people usually let a pro do, but if they are in the right place- they are in the right place
if you need routing so that the new system will fit, I would take it to a shop at that point

I assume it could get bloody with the costs (since I went to the UK, everything seems expensive there laugh.gif ) but I would go for pro work myself. Oh, but wait - I nearly forgot that your dad is in the business, Ben. What did he say about this?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 03:33 PM