What Is The Best Vocal Mic For Classic Rock Male Vocals?
muntahunta
Nov 16 2009, 03:28 PM
Learning Roadie
Im starting a new band doing a few classic rock songs and im off to buy a new mic, but im unsure about Live microphones so im wondering if anyone has any idea what i should be looking for to get a good live sound with classic rock vocals (plus for my voice which can be heard in the recordings in my sig)

any tips would be great as its hard to try out mics in a music shop since it wont give me any idea what it would sound like with a band, cheers

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Nov 16 2009, 03:50 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
It partly depends on budget and your actual vocal style. Nonetheless take a look at an Audix OM7 or a Neumann KMS105 or possibly a Shure SM7b. None are cheap and all would benefit from being paired up with a good mic preamp.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
muntahunta
Nov 17 2009, 10:15 AM
Learning Roadie
haha, thanks man... i was thinking in the price range of around £100 no £400+ lol. shoulda mentioned that before tongue.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ Dual EMG 81 Pickups. Size 11 Strings.
Ibanez GRG170DX w/ Scallopd frets 17-24 - w/ Dimebucker and APH-1.
Tanglewood TW28 STR DLX CE INDIANA Acoustic Guitar
NEW: Dean Deceiver w/ EMG 81/EMG 85 Pickups
Effects:
Pod XT Live AND Pod X3 Live
Recording:
Cubase SX3

My Bands Myspace
Act Of Silence

Songs:

Fly From The Inside (Cover)
So Far Away
Down
Break The Cycle
Never Again (Cover)
Crash
Wake Me

More Acoustic Songs:
Chris Kerswell Soundclick Page

Check out Munta's Step By Step Songwriting Lesson

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 17 2009, 10:33 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Nov 17 2009, 10:15 AM) *
haha, thanks man... i was thinking in the price range of around £100 no £400+ lol. shoulda mentioned that before tongue.gif

Try to find some used SM58 or SM58 beta, they use to lay around in the stores.....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Gus
Nov 17 2009, 11:24 AM
GMC:er
Hi Muntahunta.

I tested a lot of microphones before buying mine. I ended up buying a AKG C5. I have to say I am pretty satisfied with it and it complements nicely my bassy (a little dull) voice. From your recordings I would guess it sound very good on your voice. So far I had no problems with feedback (though I have to say I did not push it, since I did not play in very noise environments yet).

My only conclusion after trying lots of mics was that you really must test how a microphone sounds with your voice. For example, beta 58 sounds awful with my voice, but it was a great choice for a friend of mine.
So as long as the microphones you consider have a minimal quality, what really matters is how the microphone matches your voice.

On the price range you are intending I think you should try akg c5, beta 58, sehnheiser 865 and all that you can.

This post has been edited by Gus: Nov 17 2009, 11:27 AM

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Nov 17 2009, 11:50 AM
Instructor
I love my old AKG 880s, sounds better than SM58 with my voice and is cheap and indestructible smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 17 2009, 11:54 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Nov 17 2009, 11:50 AM) *
I love my old AKG 880s, sounds better than SM58 with my voice and is cheap and indestructible smile.gif

Piotr - when will we get to hear you sing? Would be awesome! cool.gif

On topic - I am learning a lot from the answers here - I need to upgrade my microphones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 17 2009, 12:22 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I don't have much experience with this, but I would recommend to take all the recommended mics if you find them in one store and then do some comparison. Make flat settings on the mixer so that they don't color sound much and then see which one sounds best for your voice. I guess you can't choose without a very broad comparison. SM58 and its beta version are great vocal mics and pretty much standard for live use.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Nov 17 2009, 12:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 17 2009, 11:54 AM) *
Piotr - when will we get to hear you sing? Would be awesome! cool.gif

Heh, Kristofer - not quick smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Nov 17 2009, 01:47 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (muntahunta @ Nov 16 2009, 03:28 PM) *
Im starting a new band doing a few classic rock songs and im off to buy a new mic, but im unsure about Live microphones so im wondering if anyone has any idea what i should be looking for to get a good live sound with classic rock vocals (plus for my voice which can be heard in the recordings in my sig)

any tips would be great as its hard to try out mics in a music shop since it wont give me any idea what it would sound like with a band, cheers

also you might take into account of future mics -for live shows you want to have as many mics that are the same - that way if you have a feedback problem all the same mics will have it in the same range ,it will be easier to E Q than if you have diiferent mic that could be bringing in problems in different frequencies

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Nov 17 2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor
for my experience live the beta58 is the best, and for studio i use a sony c38b smile.gif

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Nov 17 2009, 11:13 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Piotr Kaczor @ Nov 17 2009, 12:38 PM) *
Heh, Kristofer - not quick smile.gif

hehe ok! It will be worth the wait I am sure - considering the awesome guitar stuff you do (maybe we should do a vocal duet?! biggrin.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Santiago Diaz Ga...
Nov 18 2009, 03:25 AM
GMC:er
Shure Sm58 is the standard for all rock voices. You can't go wrong with it

+Quote Post
Piotr Kaczor
Nov 18 2009, 04:50 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 17 2009, 11:13 PM) *
hehe ok! It will be worth the wait I am sure - considering the awesome guitar stuff you do (maybe we should do a vocal duet?! biggrin.gif )

Great to hear it from you! smile.gif I have some vocal stuff in my bag, maybe someday I'll upload it.
(your voice just rock, maybe we should... smile.gif )

--------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Nov 18 2009, 11:30 PM
Instructor
Shure SM58/Beta 58a are great choices. You can even get a second hand one, they are pretty robust. Beta mics are a bit brighter than regular SM's so try to compare them and see what works best for you.

Another option is to use SM57, it can work for vocals too.

This post has been edited by Ivan Milenkovic: Nov 18 2009, 11:31 PM

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:29 PM