Half Open Closet Vocal Booth?
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 09:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
One thing I lack in my very small home studio is a proper place to record vocals. It's not too bad as it is, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it turning my closet into a half open vocal booth. I'm not asking if it's the best solution there is, but if it is better than recording vocals somewhere in the "open" (room is about 12ft by 9 feet, so not very big) with a reflection filter.

I have a closet in here (that doesn't really have much in it... or just clothes I can't fit anyway) that essentially could be turned into a half open vocal booth. It's not big enough to made into anything that can be closed after you walk in though.

Worth it or not?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2019, 10:16 PM
GMC:er
Being far away from the computer concerned me, sure things can work but wouldn't be convenient. I see that your right side has room for placing a mic. , maybe a DIY soluiton like this?

Could be making a simple box with foam too. Surrounding the mic. would help with computer noise leak etc. too, but ofcourse this is just in theory as I never tried something like that.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 21 2019, 10:39 PM
Learning Rock Star
Yeah, I did have a similar DIY set up once, and while it somewhat worked, it really wasn't all that convenient. Sure, the closet would be 2-3 steps away, but I could maybe use my Akai LPK25 as a controller for recording in there. Or maybe a similar device from Akai. I know they have some cheap controllers.

Thats said, it might not be worth the hassle. It just sort of hit me that I don't really have anything in that closet.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 21 2019, 11:21 PM
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 21 2019, 09:39 PM) *
Thats said, it might not be worth the hassle. It just sort of hit me that I don't really have anything in that closet.

Not a bad idea for sure but yeah, also your back would be facing the windows so that would get reflections too and other positioning will be too claustrophobic.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 22 2019, 05:32 AM
Super congrats on how your new studio is coming along! You've clearly put a LOT of work in to it and it's paying off!! Full drums, plenty of space, good monitoring, it's all there. It's a great space. You've done wonders with it. Kudos on adding a vocal booth! Closet is a great idea imho. You can use your mobile phone as a controller! There is a FREE app for your phone that you can use as a screen extender and just click the record button on and off for recording vocals smile.gif It's called space desk.https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?....spacedesk.beta

Also, for $60 you can get a nice baffle to put with your vocal mic to reduce reflections.

https://amzn.to/2U4CToo

Attached Image

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Jan 21 2019, 04:58 PM) *
One thing I lack in my very small home studio is a proper place to record vocals. It's not too bad as it is, but I'm wondering if it would be worth it turning my closet into a half open vocal booth. I'm not asking if it's the best solution there is, but if it is better than recording vocals somewhere in the "open" (room is about 12ft by 9 feet, so not very big) with a reflection filter.

I have a closet in here (that doesn't really have much in it... or just clothes I can't fit anyway) that essentially could be turned into a half open vocal booth. It's not big enough to made into anything that can be closed after you walk in though.

Worth it or not?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:11 AM