Cover Of Room901 By The Late, Great Paul Samson, Sadly missed
Chris Evans
Oct 23 2007, 07:13 AM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Those of you old enough to remember the Group "Samson" from the eighties should know that this was Pauls signature track, its an instrumental, fairly straight forward but I like it a lot and recorded it as a kind of silent tribute to a great guitarist, visit http://www.paulsamson.co.uk/ to learn more.

I was lucky enuff in the early nineties to meet Paul Samson at a gig, my band at the time was playing at a pub in Oxford, UK and Samson was the main act, I think if I remember rightly in my nervous stupidity said something to him like "I listened to you when you was famous!" he was a nice guy and knew where i was coming from, I hope laugh.gif

More recently I had 2 jam sessions with Samsons original Bass player Chris Aylmer who unfortunatly passed away at the beginning of this year, he was trying to get his Dr Ice project off the ground when the dreaded cancer struck! sad.gif

I`m proud to have played dont get mad, get even, Riding with the angels, Dr Ice and a few others, these where songs that I learned to play my first guitar to and to play them some 15-20 years later with the original bass player was a real boost to me and a memory I`ll never forget.

I owe a debt of gratitude to Rob Grain, Paul Samsons best friend, roadie and webmaster for Pauls site for making that all possible for me.

anyone else remember Samson ??? smile.gif or am I the only old sad git? blink.gif [attachment=2224:attachment]

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 24 2007, 06:24 AM
laugh.gif lol is it that bad no one wants to comment?? ohmy.gif I`ll get me coat biggrin.gif

Or am I just too old and no ones heard of Samson? sad.gif wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Owen
Oct 24 2007, 06:50 AM
GMC:er
Sounds good to me, I have no idea who the group are but its a well done cover by the sounds of it. smile.gif

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Oct 24 2007, 06:51 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Owen @ Oct 24 2007, 01:50 AM) *
Sounds good to me, I have no idea who the group are but its a well done cover by the sounds of it. smile.gif

Very well put together smile.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shammy
Oct 24 2007, 07:01 AM
I think it sounds really good. Nice mix

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Oct 24 2007, 07:03 AM
Thanks chaps smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Nov 1 2007, 08:42 AM
That sounded great actually. For those of you who don't know Samson it might be worth mentioning that none other than Bruce Dickinson, who later joined Iron Maiden, was in Samson and sang on their first three albums.

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Nov 1 2007, 05:54 PM
Lets go fishing!
Yes i enjoyed this alot man, very good! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 1 2007, 06:52 PM
QUOTE (KRmachine @ Nov 1 2007, 07:42 AM) *
That sounded great actually. For those of you who don't know Samson it might be worth mentioning that none other than Bruce Dickinson, who later joined Iron Maiden, was in Samson and sang on their first three albums.

Yes absolutly, good point KRmachine, known as Bruce Bruce, I should have put that in my original post, thanks m8 biggrin.gif

Cheers Matt, appreciate it smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 1 2007, 07:07 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Great song there!

Sure we remember Samson, meant a lot to the development of NWOBHM.

Worth mentioning is that also Clive Burr came from there. I'd sad really how too many of them pass away and also Clive Burr got MS. sad.gif

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 1 2007, 11:28 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 1 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Worth mentioning is that also Clive Burr came from there. I'd sad really how too many of them pass away and also Clive Burr got MS. sad.gif

Yup, very sad m8 sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Nov 16 2007, 10:35 PM
I have to ask, what stuff did you use and how did you record it? Your guitar tone is fantastic.

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 16 2007, 10:49 PM
Hi m8 and thanks,

recorded on a Boss br-8 digital 8 track, used alesis sr16 drum machine, the guitars just plugged in direct and I used the onboard effects on the br-8, (they are pretty good once you fiddle around with them a bit) and I used my Jackson to record it.
same with the bass, just straight in,

I`ve never been able to find anything that I can reproduce that sound "live", I`ve tried the Boss VF-1 which uses the same cosm technology as the BR-8 but it just wasnt the same sad.gif

I`ve got a pod xt live for crimboid (not allowed to play with yet:() so I`m hoping that I can get clse to it with that, if not better, I`d like to take just a tadge of mid out of my sound really

--------------------

+Quote Post
KRmachine
Nov 17 2007, 12:51 AM
That's a shame, I'd really like to have a guitar tone like that live. I hope you can get it with the pod (I'm buying one as well), you might be able to since it sounds kind of similar to some of the better pod tones I've heard.
Also if the pod doesn't cut for you it you might want to try the Boss GT-8 (my band mate has one and it's very very good)

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Nov 17 2007, 01:03 AM
QUOTE (KRmachine @ Nov 16 2007, 11:51 PM) *
That's a shame, I'd really like to have a guitar tone like that live. I hope you can get it with the pod (I'm buying one as well), you might be able to since it sounds kind of similar to some of the better pod tones I've heard.
Also if the pod doesn't cut for you it you might want to try the Boss GT-8 (my band mate has one and it's very very good)

yea I always get a bit miffed live, I`ve got it fairly close, strangely enough with the cheapest stomp box I`ve ever bought, a Bheringer UM300 huh.gif
Just be great to get it with the pod and have access to many other effects without plugging in lots of stomp boxes smile.gif
I`ll bear the GT-8 in mind if I`m not satisfied with the pod, altho so many of the guys on here that have great tone use pods so I`m pretty confident I`ll find what I`m looking for smile.gif *fingers crossed* biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:38 AM