3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
More In Metallica
Guitarman700
Mar 4 2008, 08:20 PM
GMC:er
my response to metallica saying there going to be thrash again;

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Fender Standard Stratocaster HSS
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30
Marshall MG10KK Kerry King 10 Watt
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Mar 4 2008, 08:22 PM
Never quite liked Metallica, so I really don't care about this.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 4 2008, 08:28 PM
Learning Roadie
I think they've got it. Load and reload were good albums. St Anger had some moments but was by far the lowest they've gotten, and they know it. There's a pretty good variety of reasons why this will be a return to form for them, but they've all been mentioned.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 4 2008, 09:00 PM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Mar 4 2008, 02:22 PM) *
Never quite liked Metallica, so I really don't care about this.

i used to like them, until they got high on themselves after and justice.. and started sucking horribly.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 4 2008, 10:26 PM
THey very well could be thrash again. Slayer has been around almost as long and they still sound pretty much the same.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 4 2008, 10:53 PM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 4 2008, 04:26 PM) *
THey very well could be thrash again. Slayer has been around almost as long and they still sound pretty much the same.

true, but slayer at their worst owns metallica at their best.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 5 2008, 12:06 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Mar 4 2008, 01:53 PM) *

No, no Slayer at best barly touches black album and has no chance against And Justice and Master imo.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:
Jackson Dinky 2M Snow White
Line 6 Spider III 75 watt
Line 6 FBV Express Foot Controller

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 5 2008, 12:09 AM
QUOTE (swingline @ Mar 4 2008, 06:06 PM) *
No, no Slayer at best barly touches black album and has no chance against And Justice and Master imo.

you, sir , made me ROFL. congratulations.

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Goliath
Mar 5 2008, 12:14 AM
The point was not to play to your preference but simply to show you that it is possible guys in their 40's can still write songs that are as aggressive as any young upstarts from anywhere.

Heck, Lamb of God are in their mid 30's/40's and they kind of helped kickstart the revival of thrash, even if their style of music I wouldn't consider "classic thrash" it certainly has thrash elements to it.

I mean Iron Maiden's "A Matter of Life and Death" is one of the strongest CD's they've released, in my opinion, and they're older than Metallica. A come back is absolutely possible. I'm going to create another Metallica post about why you should hope that the next album is phenomenal.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 5 2008, 12:16 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Mar 4 2008, 03:09 PM) *
you, sir , made me ROFL. congratulations.

Then my work here is done. biggrin.gif

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 5 2008, 12:21 AM
look, i don't dislike metallica, not at all, but they have their heads in the clouds, and they need to come back down. they CAN make this a good album, but it will be very hard. i think they CAN, i don't know if they WILL

This post has been edited by Guitarman700: Mar 5 2008, 12:21 AM

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 5 2008, 12:47 AM
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 4 2008, 03:26 PM) *

Slayer played super fast and aggressive from the start though and didn't really stop, at least compared to Metallica, but Metallica started slacking off after Master of Puppets, on thrash at least. Justice still has thrash elements, but it isn't pure thrash. So, from what I've heard, The new album is "supposed" to be melodic/thrashy. I just don't think that they can go back to it %100.

And no Slayer at their worst doesn't own Metallica at their best, they're both incredible in their own ways, but Slayer is truly a thrash band. And have made maybe the most defining album to thrash- Reign in Blood.

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Mar 5 2008, 02:12 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
QUOTE (Goliath @ Mar 4 2008, 03:14 PM) *
The point was not to play to your preference but simply to show you that it is possible guys in their 40's can still write songs that are as aggressive as any young upstarts from anywhere.

Heck, Lamb of God are in their mid 30's/40's and they kind of helped kickstart the revival of thrash, even if their style of music I wouldn't consider "classic thrash" it certainly has thrash elements to it.

I mean Iron Maiden's "A Matter of Life and Death" is one of the strongest CD's they've released, in my opinion, and they're older than Metallica. A come back is absolutely possible. I'm going to create another Metallica post about why you should hope that the next album is phenomenal.

+1

Agree on that wink.gif

+Quote Post
swingline
Mar 5 2008, 02:28 AM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Mar 4 2008, 03:21 PM) *
look, i don't dislike metallica, not at all, but they have their heads in the clouds, and they need to come back down. they CAN make this a good album, but it will be very hard. i think they CAN, i don't know if they WILL

I can agree with that, If they pull their heads out of their butts this can happen.

--------------------
--------------------

The Gear:

+Quote Post
Sonny
Mar 10 2008, 02:18 PM
Why did Kirk Hammett stoped doing solos? isn't that his Job? he has been one of my favorites guitar players since i was a kid, but in load and re-load he didn't do to much... and i wasn't happy.. but in St Anger there is not even one solo.. what did he do?? i guess James did all the guitars, Bob Rock did the Bass and Lars the Drums... he did NOTHING. i'm still waiting for somo kick ass guitar solo like Blackened or something like that!!

+Quote Post
Guitarman700
Mar 10 2008, 02:21 PM
QUOTE (Sonny @ Mar 10 2008, 08:18 AM) *
Why did Kirk Hammett stoped doing solos? isn't that his Job? he has been one of my favorites guitar players since i was a kid, but in load and re-load he didn't do to much... and i wasn't happy.. but in St Anger there is not even one solo.. what did he do?? i guess James did all the guitars, Bob Rock did the Bass and Lars the Drums... he did NOTHING. i'm still waiting for somo kick ass guitar solo like Blackened or something like that!!

i heard he was to busy buying nail polish and designer clothes to play any solos...

--------------------
My Gear:
Guitars:
Jackson Dinky Custom
Washburn WG-587 7-String
LTD EX-50
Kramer Focus 6000
Amps:
Peavey Vypyr 30

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Mar 10 2008, 02:59 PM
Instructor
I'm anxious to hear the new album. St. Anger has great riffs but I don't like it so much.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
JVM
Mar 10 2008, 09:22 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Sonny @ Mar 10 2008, 09:18 AM) *

A lot of the riffs on load, reload and st anger were Kirk's. Personally some of the riffs on load and reload are among my favorite metallica riffs, but I would prefer he leave it to james and just do solos. tongue.gif However some of them were badass..

[edit] Just looked up some more info.. he wanted to put solos into St. Anger but the songs hadn't been made with solos in mind. He also wrote some of their earlier riffs, such as creeping death for example on Ride the Lightning and enter sandman.

This post has been edited by JVM: Mar 10 2008, 09:30 PM

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Mar 10 2008, 09:32 PM
^ He did a fine job on Creeping Death. One of their best ever cool.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)

+Quote Post
erik
Mar 10 2008, 11:05 PM
QUOTE (Guitarman700 @ Mar 4 2008, 10:53 PM) *

nah tongue.gif I think slayer have always kept up their standard, and never made something disapointing (probably some, but not much), but never anything really really good. Metallica on the other hand started out with GREAT music and then suddenly started to suck. I think Metallica's top albums is better than all of slayer's albums, but then all of slayer's album is much better than everything metallica made after the black album. tongue.gif

QUOTE (JVM @ Mar 10 2008, 09:22 PM) *
He also wrote some of their earlier riffs, such as creeping death for example on Ride the Lightning and enter sandman.

what?

I though Enter Sandman was the first riff he wrote.. He even said it himself on the documentary on the black album

This post has been edited by erik: Mar 10 2008, 11:07 PM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:04 PM