Picking Problem, Video
eyestoeyes
Jul 14 2010, 10:19 PM
GMC:er
Hello,

I´ve guess I´ve had a really bad picking technique for years and I´ve tried and ried to improve it.

One thing thats a bit strange is that everyone says you should have the pick at a 90 degree angle, I just can´t do it. Well I can but it feels like my wrist will burst.

I´m just asking you too take a look at this video and mabe come with some advice on how screwed up my picking techuniqe are.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPLcJXZBcE

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 14 2010, 10:44 PM
Instructor
Hey man.

Your picking isnt as screwed up as you may think. In order to correct it i have a certain insight into the problem. If you look at the 2 lessons i have here you can see that i picked very similar to you.

After those lessons i incurred a nerve problem with my picking arm so i have had to completely change the way i pick the strings.

From the video you posted what i am seeing is not a wrist problem but a pick holding problem. First off you need to place the pick on the very side of your index finger. You start out with your pick closer to the side your index finger but as time goes by your pick is sliding toward the pad of your finger. Secondly and more importantly your thumb is curled back instead of curled forward.

If you place the pick on the side if your index finger, and curl your thumb the other way it will position your pick closer to the 90 degrees that people are talking about. Honestly there are very few players that hold their pick at a perfect 90 degrees to the strings. Most if not all shred type guys hold their pick at varying angles less then 90 degrees. I can only think of 2 players off hand that have the pick at a perfect 90 degree angle....Micheal Angelo Batio, and Paul Gilbert (sometimes)

Anyway what i am getting at here is the fact that its not a wrist problem at all. I think its just a problem of how your holding the pick. The problem i had when i was changing how i picked was pick control, i.e. when i would speed up my pick was spinning out of my fingers. The solution was to lighten how hard i was picking. When picking as you do in this vid i felt much more control of the pick spin cause i could grip it tighter. When making the transition to the other way you will find its kinda backwards. I think the reason for this is most of the time playing guitar its more downstroke then upstroke. Holding the pick the way you are its harder to keep the pick from spinning on alot of upstroke picking. Holding it the other way is going to be harder to control on the downstrokes. Its going to take a few weeks to get comfortable with even holding it differently but as you go along your going to adjust your pick stroke length and attack to facilitate.

Daniel

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
eyestoeyes
Jul 14 2010, 11:03 PM
thanks alot from your answer.

Good to know that the wrist is there, maybe not perfect but anyway.

I was getting a sore elbow a while ago and focused on playing with the wrist insead of the arm. I still feel the elbow and maybe it´s due to the way I hold the pick too.

It really feels wierd to hold the pick the way you describe but I know thats the way most people hold it. I have problems even palm mute with a ggod sound but I guess it´s just that i´m not use to it.

Since you and others surely can correct their way of picking I will try to as well. I want to get good at playing and do surely not want a bad arm smile.gif

Thanks again, I guess it´s back to absic know for a while smile.gif

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 15 2010, 01:00 AM
Learning Rock Star
check out Paul Gilbert video: about 1:20 he starts getting into how to hold the pick.
Also, your backing track sounds like opeth!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 15 2010, 01:33 AM
To me, it looks like your moving your picking on an upwards angle over time?

First of all, what pick are you using? Is it at least 1.14mm thick? Playing that type of music at speed will be causing a thin pick to flex and not reshape in time on the next note - so it flicks against the next string - making it move to an angle or be really hard to control.

To check if it's your hold - I would suggest, holding your hand out in front of you flat so it's 90 degrees up/down. Curl in your index finger while leaving the others straight. If you can't curl it completely (like me) do it to the point its comfortable with the nail pointing back. Place the pick on top and clamp down with the thumb with just enough pressure to hold in place. See rather than using the entire underneath of the index finger, it uses a bit of the side. Slowly loosen up on that index/thumb circle till it's comfortable while bending the other fingers in slightly if needed. It should be relaxed. It will also be in the position to switch in and out of palm muting (remember its a karate chops for palm muting folded over the strings).

Third, not so much pressure or thought into it, dude! Remember to sit up straight (something I gotta keep telling myself). Do it slowly and smoothly at first, but it's something semi-automatic when you add speed into it. Thinking about it too much will slow you down. If it hurts stop!

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Jul 15 2010, 03:04 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jul 14 2010, 07:00 PM) *
check out Paul Gilbert video: about 1:20 he starts getting into how to hold the pick.

Thanks Jamsalot,

I was gonna suggest this video after i thought about it. Its a great explanation of what i was trying to convey

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 15 2010, 03:29 AM
Thanks SirJamsalot,

I followed that vid you posted after I posted my reply and it really helped with sounding out my pitched harmonics in solos! They sound so much better smile.gif

I was playing the beginning half of the flight of the bubble bee nearly up to speed with added harmonics, lol!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 15 2010, 03:43 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade
Take a break, Play Games! Play the best free online flash games at Aaron's Game Zone like Bloons Tower Defense 4!

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jul 15 2010, 03:49 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Azzaboi @ Jul 14 2010, 07:29 PM) *
I was playing the beginning half of the flight of the bubble bee nearly up to speed with added harmonics, lol!

haha. for added effect, you have to voice out "taka ta taka tataka" while you play otherwise you're only getting half the benefit of PG's lesson! lol.

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Azzaboi
Jul 15 2010, 04:16 AM
laugh.gif taka ta taka tataka!

I've got Paul Gilbert - Scarified lesson magazine with vid and full tab, but that's been way too fast for me!
You could call it an insane picking lesson timing both hands... Still learning.

I always yell in 'Take it away Marco!' at the intro and the facical! tongue.gif
Where can I get me one of those space suits? They finally put them to some good use!

This post has been edited by Azzaboi: Jul 15 2010, 04:28 AM

--------------------

Play Games Arcade

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jul 15 2010, 04:51 AM
Instructor
try practicing with different dynamics, loud, softly,

exaggerate the dynamics, hit the strings really hard but precisely, your picking will come naturally

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
eyestoeyes
Jul 15 2010, 07:18 AM

Thanks man, that video was really awesome.

Great help smile.gif

Fun thing that you said that about Opeth, it´s my favourite band with so many cool riffs. Working my way through Deliverance, or trying at least:p

This post has been edited by eyestoeyes: Jul 15 2010, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post
eyestoeyes
Jul 15 2010, 08:34 AM

QUOTE (Daniel Realpe @ Jul 15 2010, 05:51 AM) *
try practicing with different dynamics, loud, softly,

exaggerate the dynamics, hit the strings really hard but precisely, your picking will come naturally

Hey,

One thing that I notice is that when I play softly and then goes for heavier picking my left hand starts to get tense. You know my left fingers goes with harder oreassure at the same time as the pick Especially my index finger.

But well, since I start over with mypicking thechuniqe I might as well take everything slow biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by eyestoeyes: Jul 15 2010, 08:36 AM

+Quote Post
Attila Voros
Jul 15 2010, 09:09 AM
QUOTE (eyestoeyes @ Jul 14 2010, 09:19 PM) *
Hello,

I´ve guess I´ve had a really bad picking technique for years and I´ve tried and ried to improve it.

One thing thats a bit strange is that everyone says you should have the pick at a 90 degree angle, I just can´t do it. Well I can but it feels like my wrist will burst.

I´m just asking you too take a look at this video and mabe come with some advice on how screwed up my picking techuniqe are.

Cheers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTPLcJXZBcE

Hey man,

I think You've got all the answers You needed, but since we all different there's something else that might work for You as well.
There's a pick called the "Speed pick" that has a twisted tip angulation of 10º designed for speed playing. I wouldn't say that it'll work for You, but who knows.
Anyways, I don't think You have any major problems with Your picking techique, so just follow Your ears for any kind of music You play.

here's a link for the pick: http://www.jimdunlop.com/index.php?page=pr...=products/herco

Cheerz,

Attila

--------------------
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/hellbounder86

Myspace: www.myspace.com/vorosattila

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Jul 17 2010, 06:29 PM
Jazz Instructor
From the video you posted, I don't see the problem. I personally don't prefer that pick angle, have you try to keep your pick less parallel to strings, in other words, larger angle? That pick position is good for 2 or 4 notes per strings patterns, but not very good for 3 notes per string, I would advice you just to experiment a bit.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 18 2010, 01:02 AM
Instructor
As everybody said, getting the right angle that works for you should be the most important thing, there is not strict rule. You can start practicing slowly, and see where it goes from there. So, by practicing more picking angles, and hitting the notes a bit softer or harder, you will acquire a greater range of skills that will enable you to control the tone better.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 09:48 AM