Problems With Artificial Harmonics
Fran
Mar 27 2008, 04:52 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I've been trying to produce artificial harmonics, but I just can't!! sad.gif

I watched Pavel's lesson on them and tried everything to no avail: hitting the string slightly with the fleshy part of the thumb after hitting it with the pick, counting 2 octaves to find the exact place on the string where I have to attack, having the trebles high and distortion loud... no luck.

What else can it be that I'm doing wrong?

Could it be my guitar pickups? (humbuckers..) Or maybe I don't hit the string right with the finger? as much as I have watched the video and tried, I don't get the harmonic sound, and I'm going nuts!! blink.gif

Any advice much appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 27 2008, 05:03 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Well you should be able to produce the AH..Just experiment with the pick position in your hand to get that flesh part of thumb to touch the string after you hit it just barely...Do you get even small not clear harmonic ? I'm sure with a little more practice you will get it.. wink.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 27 2008, 06:13 PM
GMC:er
I like to think it like, you would kinda pick the string not just over the string but over the string and little towards the bridge, I mean that the picking motion would be over then towards the bridge but on a constant motion, kinda like a quarter circle, Way too hard to explain what I mean laugh.gif

But if you get what I mean... good, cos it helped me instantly and I could show you in 5 sec. but your not here and I'm not there...

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 27 2008, 08:26 PM
Instructor
People often think it requers some kind of force to do AH. It really doesn't. You should do it fairly gently - touching string only to produce the sound and backing away to let her vibrate. At fIrst practice very slow and don't force the string, looking for the sweet spot until you find it.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 27 2008, 08:30 PM
Lets go fishing!
I was haveing problems with this,then I realised I should be useing the bridge pickup - no problems doing these now smile.gif

Which pickup are you useing? smile.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 27 2008, 08:55 PM
I'm using bridge pickup Matt, I believe it's something I do wrong with my hand, that subtle touch of the string or something...

I'll try what you guys suggest, see if I can solve it. I'm beginning to think they sold me an amp without harmonics or something!! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

I'll keep trying.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:

Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!

+Quote Post
Pitch_Black
Mar 27 2008, 09:32 PM
It helped me to put my pick sideways. If you know what I mean.

--------------------
Gear:
Amps:
Vox AD50VT
Yamaha GA-10
Guitars:
Gibson SG
Hohner Acoustic
Effects:
Digitech Death Metal Pedal
Dunlop Crybaby 535q Wah Pedal
And a lot on my Vox

Long Live Rock And Roll!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Mar 27 2008, 09:38 PM
Lets go fishing!
Some good advice from Ivan there. I just pick down and let my thumb rub gently over the string.

Keep trying youll get there im sure of it biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 27 2008, 09:48 PM
Most people when trying to do these harmonics think that there are 2 seperate movements involved. While you are doing 2 things you should be doing this at the same time.

A lot of people will pick the string and then place there thumb on it only to get a dead string. This confused me for a while but if you think about it this is not how natural harmonics are made so it isn't going to work so well for artificial. What you should be doing is using your thumb at the same time as when you pick. So place the fleshy part of your thumb on the string and then pick with it on and then lift off. See if this helps

+Quote Post
Trond Vold
Mar 27 2008, 10:00 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (steve25 @ Mar 27 2008, 09:48 PM) *
Most people when trying to do these harmonics think that there are 2 seperate movements involved. While you are doing 2 things you should be doing this at the same time.

A lot of people will pick the string and then place there thumb on it only to get a dead string. This confused me for a while but if you think about it this is not how natural harmonics are made so it isn't going to work so well for artificial. What you should be doing is using your thumb at the same time as when you pick. So place the fleshy part of your thumb on the string and then pick with it on and then lift off. See if this helps

Thats a great explanation smile.gif

I've seen a few posts about this recently on the forums..
I would be happy to do a pinchharmonic basics lesson if there's any interest for that.

--------------------
Guitars: Schecter Stiletto Classic, Jackson SLSMG, Ibanez RG-380 Japan, Gibson Les Paul Studio

Amp: Marshall JMP-1 -> Rocktron Velocity 100 -> Marshall JCM-900 Lead 4x12

FX and stomps: T.C Electronics G-Sharp, Korg SDD-1200, Emma Transmorgrifier, BYOC Tribooster, GGG Green Ringer, Dinosaur Overdrive, Voodoo Lab SuperFuzz, Sovtek Bassballs, Line6 Tap Tremolo, EHX Screaming Bird.

My Instructor Board!

My Myspace!

+Quote Post
Tuubsu
Mar 27 2008, 10:40 PM
QUOTE (steve25 @ Mar 27 2008, 10:48 PM) *

good explanation indeed.

--------------------
Anyone can learn to play fast, like anyone can learn to type quickly. But not everyone can write a book.
- Yngwie J. Malmsteen

Idols:

Jason Becker (ex-Cacophony, ex-David Lee Roth, Solo)
Marty Friedman (ex-Cacophony, ex-Megadeth, Solo)
Niccolo Paganini (Solo)
Eddie Van Halen (Van Halen....Duh!)
Frederic Chopin (Solo)

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 27 2008, 11:52 PM
The Dark Canuck
Have you tried Gabriel's Zakk Wylde lesson on artificial harmonics?

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...inch-harmonics/

He has some great camera angles on his right hand to see how he plays them. I found this lesson very helpful. He has humbuckers too and has no issue with nailing the harmonics.

I'm no pro at it but I also have humbuckers and don't have an issue other then I'm still learning how to do them smile.gif

rok

This post has been edited by rokchik: Mar 27 2008, 11:53 PM

+Quote Post
Robin
Mar 27 2008, 11:55 PM
dont think you're doing that much wrong. this is a technique that you just gotta keep on trying for ages.

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 28 2008, 12:27 AM
Ok thanks guys, I'll check Gabriels lesson too, see if that helps along with your comments. Tomorrow I WILL NAIL THOSE HARMONICS!!!

And if I don´t I'll scream for help again and take your word on that basic lesson Trond!!

I guess I have to... practice! practice! practice!

But it just gets on my nerves I feel dumb after hitting the same note 279 times with no results, and end up turning the amp off, bleeding through my ears, while my gf looks at me asking herself what on earth has he been doing playing the same damn note for the last 30 minutes like a maniac??

Oh well...

Tomorrow will be the day tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Fran: Mar 28 2008, 12:28 AM

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
rokchik
Mar 28 2008, 12:36 AM
The Dark Canuck
I know exactly how you feel Fran. I felt the same way when I first started learning them... which wasn't that long ago actually. But when I hit one all the frustration went away and the excitement set in and it didn't matter if I played the same note a 1000 times.

I'm still working at them though. I'm hitting them most times but I don't have it down pat yet. But yes it's just something you have to practice practice practice but you won't be sorry you did. They sound so awesome all the hard work is worth it smile.gif

rok

+Quote Post
steve25
Mar 28 2008, 12:38 AM
The hardest part for me was doing artificial harmonics on the low e string but i've got that one sorted now. Just takes a bit of fiddling around more than anything with these

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:11 AM
Tell us of your progress wink.gif You'll nail it soon I'm sure wink.gif Be sure that there is no such button labeled A.H. on your amp though wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Fran
Mar 28 2008, 01:26 AM
QUOTE (Bogdan @ Mar 28 2008, 01:11 AM) *
Tell us of your progress wink.gif You'll nail it soon I'm sure wink.gif Be sure that there is no such button labeled A.H. on your amp though wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anti Harmonic button is the cause! I knew I should've read the manual! laugh.gif

I wish it was that hehe.

--------------------
Guitars:
Amp:
Effects:
Recording:

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Mar 28 2008, 01:43 AM
QUOTE (Fran @ Mar 28 2008, 01:26 AM) *
laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Anti Harmonic button is the cause! I knew I should've read the manual! laugh.gif

I wish it was that hehe.

eheheh lol man laugh.gif

Gentle touch will do the trick wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 06:22 PM