Air Guitar Practice ?
Ibanex
Mar 21 2007, 10:46 PM
GMC:er
Hi! smile.gif
Since I will not be at home for next 4 days, I was wondering if anybody knows some exercices you can do without a guitar. I know this sounds stupid and its only 4 days, but I would die for some hints.
Thanks

(unfortunatly there is no way to take my guitar with me) sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 22 2007, 12:23 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ibanex @ Mar 21 2007, 05:46 PM) *
Hi! smile.gif
Since I will not be at home for next 4 days, I was wondering if anybody knows some exercices you can do without a guitar. I know this sounds stupid and its only 4 days, but I would die for some hints.
Thanks

(unfortunatly there is no way to take my guitar with me) sad.gif sad.gif sad.gif

Hey that's a great question, and I want to know the answer too - I travel a lot on business. Are those left hand strength trainers any good or just hype?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 22 2007, 11:14 PM
When Im at school, i usually bring a pick on me and just do up and down picking motion on the desk for hours on end. I guesse it helps me on stamina because i do it a lot during school hours.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 22 2007, 11:28 PM
QUOTE (Ibanex @ Mar 21 2007, 10:46 PM) *
Hi! smile.gif
Thanks

Well, I do something that's kinda goofy and I don't like to admit it, but I count one, two, three, four... one, two, three, four and so one like a metronome in my head when I am walking and I try to walk to that beat. I think of playing guitar and try to step with that rythym. I do it all of the time. I know it's weird but it helps me think of timing. I keep a pick in my pocket or in my hand and pretend/visualize that I have a guitar and I'm running the scales as I walk to my own beat. smile.gif

+Quote Post
wheeler
Mar 22 2007, 11:33 PM
Find a blank fretboard chart online and make copies. When you're away from your guitar and feel like "practicing", write out your scales in different positions, up and down the fretboard. Do it often enough and it helps to etch scale patterns into your brain. No where near as fun as playing, of course....but it can be VERY beneficial if you do it seriously. A good way to go about it is to pick a key and then chart out the modes. Just a suggestion...I've found it very helpful in reducing the delay between thinking of what I want to play and actually playing it. smile.gif

- Sorry if you were looking for PHYSICAL exercises....in that vein, simply tapping your fingers, one at a time, in a controlled motion at a slow tempo is a good idea.

This post has been edited by wheeler: Mar 22 2007, 11:35 PM

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 22 2007, 11:34 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 22 2007, 12:23 AM) *
Hey that's a great question, and I want to know the answer too - I travel a lot on business. Are those left hand strength trainers any good or just hype?

I have one of those hand strength trainers. I have found that it is useful to stengthen the pinky, but it doesn't do much for my other fingers. At least that is my experience. I have plenty of strength in the other fingers so I don't need it there. I can only half-recommend one of those - if there is such a thing as half-recommending! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 23 2007, 12:10 AM
QUOTE (jeff @ Mar 22 2007, 06:34 PM) *
I have one of those hand strength trainers. I have found that it is useful to stengthen the pinky, but it doesn't do much for my other fingers. At least that is my experience. I have plenty of strength in the other fingers so I don't need it there. I can only half-recommend one of those - if there is such a thing as half-recommending! laugh.gif

Well, its the half that matters to me, my pinky is an anemic shade of my other fingers so maybe I'll pick one up at the weekend, and walk home counting in my head to prepare some blank fingerboard charts, after which I'll pick the desk to shreds cool.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
radarlove1984
Mar 23 2007, 02:25 AM
Whenever I'm in a waiting room that has one of old, annoying clocks that actually ticks every second, I try to use it like a metronome.

I was at the DMV last week trying to tap 16th note triplets with my left hand, 16th notes with my right hand, and tap quarter notes with my right foot.

I probably looked pretty stupid, but at least it killed time.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 23 2007, 03:03 AM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 23 2007, 12:10 AM) *
Well, its the half that matters to me, my pinky is an anemic shade of my other fingers so maybe I'll pick one up at the weekend, and walk home counting in my head to prepare some blank fingerboard charts, after which I'll pick the desk to shreds cool.gif

Don't forget to tab what you come up with and post it to the upload forum! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 23 2007, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (jeff @ Mar 22 2007, 10:03 PM) *
Don't forget to tab what you come up with and post it to the upload forum! laugh.gif

laugh.gif

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Bitey
Mar 27 2007, 05:38 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Mar 22 2007, 05:28 PM) *
Well, I do something that's kinda goofy and I don't like to admit it, but I count one, two, three, four... one, two, three, four and so one like a metronome in my head when I am walking and I try to walk to that beat. I think of playing guitar and try to step with that rythym. I do it all of the time. I know it's weird but it helps me think of timing. I keep a pick in my pocket or in my hand and pretend/visualize that I have a guitar and I'm running the scales as I walk to my own beat. smile.gif

lol I do the same thing I get a lot of weird looks I am counting to 6 and moving my fingers around on the desk like it is the fret board and I am strumming. I will even sometimes sing. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 27 2007, 07:28 PM
QUOTE (Bitey @ Mar 27 2007, 12:38 PM) *
lol I do the same thing I get a lot of weird looks I am counting to 6 and moving my fingers around on the desk like it is the fret board and I am strumming. I will even sometimes sing. biggrin.gif

I'm in a hotel room now, just me, my laptop and my finger trainer ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
Bitey
Mar 27 2007, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 27 2007, 01:28 PM) *

Finger trainer ehh? Is it a video like Richard Simsons working the fingers on tape lol.

+Quote Post
Jeff
Mar 27 2007, 08:30 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Mar 27 2007, 07:28 PM) *

Ah Hah!! By the end of the day your pinky should be stronger than ever! biggrin.gif

How do you like it? I haven't used mine in a while.

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Mar 27 2007, 10:35 PM
QUOTE (jeff @ Mar 27 2007, 03:30 PM) *
Ah Hah!! By the end of the day your pinky should be stronger than ever! biggrin.gif

How do you like it? I haven't used mine in a while.

Its definitely working the pinky - I do a few minutes then stop when it starts to ache a little - don't want to overdo it. Feels like the same ache as when I practice with it, so it must be hitting the right muscle groups ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:14 PM