Gmc Holiday Collab!, Let's have some fun making music!
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 14 2018, 08:12 PM
Instructor
Hello everybody!!!

It's time for a new GMC video collab!! This time, I've recorded a backing track inspired by "We wish you a Merry Christmas" song. You can record whatever you want over it. You can go for a short lick, melody, rhythm, chord, noise, or compose a full solo! Let's have fun! smile.gif

We can even do some kind of "connecting phrases" thing here if it inspires us to have more material!

Backing Track (Short version): Attached File  GMC_Holiday_Collab_Backing_Track_Short.mp3 ( 1.19MB ) Number of downloads: 234

Backing Track: Attached File  GMC_Holiday_Collab_Backing_Track_Final.mp3 ( 3.57MB ) Number of downloads: 440

Tempo: 75 bpm

Key: G Major

Chord Progression: G | C | Am | D | G | Em | C D | G ||

Suggested Scale: G Pentatonic Major (Same notes than E Pentatonic Minor)

DEADLINE: January 3rd

If you are new to collabs please check out this: LINK

WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS ONE?

TIPS FOR BEGINNERS:

Lesson notes HERE.

Final video:

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Jan 8 2019, 12:09 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
7 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 14 2018, 08:45 PM
GMC Founder
Very nice, I am jamming over it now. Sounds great!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 14 2018, 09:21 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 14 2018, 07:12 PM) *
WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE PART OF THIS ONE?

Yup smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 14 2018, 09:34 PM
Learning Roadie
That's a nice melody, I like it! If that's ok, I would like to play 3-string arpeggios all over this track. It could be a great exercise for what I'm working on in the mentoring thread. I mean, not just for my mechanical skills but also theory. I can't do sweeping yet but I can play this clean smile.gif The tempo is slow, so I should be fine.

Just to make sure: all I have to do is find the notes that build the corresponding chord and make an arpeggio shape of them?

When I'm done, I can try improvising over it too. Sounds like fun! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2018, 09:47 PM
GMC:er
I'm in!!!! :)Todd

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 15 2018, 03:40 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 14 2018, 04:45 PM) *
Very nice, I am jamming over it now. Sounds great!

GREAT!! Let me know if you'd like a longer jamtrack! smile.gif

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 14 2018, 05:21 PM) *
Yup smile.gif

You are welcome mate!! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 14 2018, 05:34 PM) *
That's a nice melody, I like it! If that's ok, I would like to play 3-string arpeggios all over this track. It could be a great exercise for what I'm working on in the mentoring thread. I mean, not just for my mechanical skills but also theory. I can't do sweeping yet but I can play this clean smile.gif The tempo is slow, so I should be fine.

Just to make sure: all I have to do is find the notes that build the corresponding chord and make an arpeggio shape of them?

When I'm done, I can try improvising over it too. Sounds like fun! smile.gif

Hi Adam!! Yes! You can go for it! It's a good exercise and it can sound cool! There is an acoustic guitar recorded in this backing track playing arpeggios but another one in a higher register can really work!

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 14 2018, 05:47 PM) *
I'm in!!!! :)Todd

GREAT mate!! Welcome!! smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 01:57 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Been playing over the track today, I went with the end section, possibly because I like the evil santa laugh at the end of the track biggrin.gif

full
Attached File  winter_collab_full.wav ( 23.88MB ) Number of downloads: 167

guitar
Attached File  winter_collab_guitar.wav ( 23.88MB ) Number of downloads: 157

video file

This post has been edited by bleez: Jan 1 2019, 02:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 10:04 AM
Learning Rock Star
I tried to jot down some lyrics which I might try and work into some vocal lines and melodies smile.gif Let me know what you think:

"Once again, we're at the end
It's Christmas time
What did you see, what did you hear,
What did you do throughout the year?
Did you you do the things you love,
some things you'd never heard of?
Did you spent your time with those you hold dear?
I hope you will have the best time of the year!

It's Christmas time!

Somewhere there's a child who never saw a snowy day
Heard the sound of Santa and smiled! Spare him a thought you may!
We're so inclined to fight for all we stand for, all that we think is right
Lay down your guns and halt your war, if only for this one night

'Cause it's Christmas time!

When I was young we used to ice-skate on a nearby frozen lake
A snowball fight seems far away now, there are other things at stake
Your life is your frame of reference, it's what has brought you here
I reckon there's a difference in how we all perceived this year

For some of us it's Christmas time, for some it's just another day
Show love and understanding, your way is not the only way
Put aside all your differences, open your heart for just one night
Unite and become friends, I hope you will find that it's alright

Let's make it a happy holiday!

We can put aside our differences,
Let's unite and become friends!

Make it a happy holiday!
Make it a happy holiday!"

This post has been edited by Caelumamittendum: Dec 16 2018, 10:09 AM

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 16 2018, 10:15 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 01:57 AM) *
Been playing over the track today, I went with the end section, possibly because I like the evil santa laugh at the end of the track biggrin.gif

Awesome to see you play that strat man! That melody you have got going is very good.

The main thing that could lift this take further would be your vibrato, and I don't mean you have to learn anything new -

Simply let the notes ring for a while before you add the vibrato - and if there is no time to do that (ie short sustained notes) just skip the vibrato. If you do this your take will sound much more secure and have less of the slightly nervous and pushy Hammet style vibrato.

I am also working on this one and get wait to get recording!

--------------------

+Quote Post
bleez
Dec 16 2018, 11:53 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 16 2018, 09:15 AM) *
Awesome to see you play that strat man! That melody you have got going is very good.

The main thing that could lift this take further would be your vibrato, and I don't mean you have to learn anything new -

Simply let the notes ring for a while before you add the vibrato - and if there is no time to do that (ie short sustained notes) just skip the vibrato. If you do this your take will sound much more secure and have less of the slightly nervous and pushy Hammet style vibrato.

I am also working on this one and get wait to get recording!

thanks Kris. smile.gif Im totally loving playing a strat! I hope it doesnt effect my inevitable Gibson endorsement laugh.gif
I'll try to focus more on vibrato with those tips you mentioned. I do hate how nervous it usually sounds. It never sounds like that in my head rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 16 2018, 12:47 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 11:53 AM) *
I'll try to focus more on vibrato with those tips you mentioned. I do hate how nervous it usually sounds. It never sounds like that in my head rolleyes.gif

I get the same thing. If I don't consciously think about it - in comes the ghost of Hammet. Especially when I try to squeeze in some slow notes in between shredding - and there is little brain capacity left for thinking about vibrato.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 06:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just noticed this is a in 6/8. Thought it may be worth noting somewhere. I might have missed it though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 10:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
Just spent the last 2 hours on this, but it's still rough around the edges, so probably need some more polishing. I feel like it gets better as the song goes on, but at that point I was also warmed up from recording the first half.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 10:50 PM
Learning Rock Star
Working on video now smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 16 2018, 11:58 PM
Learning Rock Star
(Kinda bad) video done:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2018, 06:52 AM
GMC:er
Nice!!! This is shaping up to be a very cool track!!

Todd
QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 06:58 PM) *
(Kinda bad) video done:

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Dec 17 2018, 08:10 AM
GMC Founder
@Cael YEAH!! Very nice vocals, I am in Christmas mood now!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 17 2018, 10:55 AM
Learning Rock Star
Thanks, Kris and Todd smile.gif I might improve it a bit. It was all done in 2 hours or so - writing the melody lines and recording and all that smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Dec 17 2018, 03:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 15 2018, 09:57 PM) *

Hi Bleez!! hahah it's true that it doesn't seem to be a good Santa, there is something bad in that laugh! biggrin.gif

Thanks for your take! Your tone is very tasty and fits great with the backing track. Your phrasing is very cool, nice note choices and rhythm! Well done mate!

QUOTE (bleez @ Dec 16 2018, 07:53 AM) *
thanks Kris. smile.gif Im totally loving playing a strat! I hope it doesnt effect my inevitable Gibson endorsement laugh.gif

I've been a Gibson player for a long time but I can't stop playing my Stratocaster since I've got it. The tone is so addictive, and after playing a lot on Les Paul, I notice that this guitar has refreshed my overall playing.

And I can hear the same in your playing, there is something new in your phrasing and overall playing, that I haven't heard before. Can you note it?

QUOTE (Caelumamittendum @ Dec 16 2018, 07:58 PM) *
(Kinda bad) video done:

What a nice surprise Cael!! Thanks a lot for this lyrics and cool vocal melodies!!

There is some room to improve tuning in some parts, mostly in the first verse. Feel free to share a new take if you want, if not I can adjust a bit your singing when mixing this one. Your voice sounds great!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Dec 17 2018, 04:10 AM) *
@Cael YEAH!! Very nice vocals, I am in Christmas mood now!

me too! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Dec 17 2018, 03:09 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Dec 17 2018, 03:19 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Dec 17 2018, 03:17 PM) *
What a nice surprise Cael!! Thanks a lot for this lyrics and cool vocal melodies!!

There is some room to improve tuning in some parts, mostly in the first verse. Feel free to share a new take if you want, if not I can adjust a bit your singing when mixing this one. Your voice sounds great!

I completely agree on the first verse. My "warm up" was doing the first verse, so it got a bit better as I went on with the recording and more takes smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 01:52 AM