Question About Bending Notes
Praetorian
Jul 10 2008, 07:26 PM
Learning Apprentice Player & Challenge Star
I notice that sometimes when I bend a note, the other strings slide up my fingernail and the string I am playing goes underneath the others. Sometimes, the strings are pushed up by my finger that I am fretting the string with. Do you understand what I mean? If not, I can take some pics for you. Is one way correct and the other wrong?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Ben

Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Déjà vu
Jul 10 2008, 08:15 PM
GMC:er
When you bend (or at least when I do) the strings above, or below it will push along with it. That depends on how large the bend is. But, If you feel that the other stings are making noise while you are bending... I would then suggest to bend with your ring finger (or middle) and mute the above string and strings below it with your index finger. You can also mute the above strings with your right hand.

About the string contact with your fingernail... Maybe, you string action is high. I had the same problem with my squier, because I could probably drive a semi-truck under the strings laugh.gif ! Feel free to bring your thumb around the neck and be sure to try "curling" your finger a bit. That could be the issue. I advise you to experiment a little.

Try picking accents as well. By hitting the mute strings above it before you hit the note is not only a cool "flavor" for your bends. But, it also helps you feel a little more comfortable while practicing them.

I hope this was helpful! I don't know if it makes sense, and I hope I got the point that you were asking about. Good luck!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Xose Pineda
Jul 10 2008, 11:32 PM
GMC:er
Yeah, if you prepare it like for a "rake" effect, you'll easily mute any unwanted noise...

David Gilmour's Style lesson is a nice place to test/check... it's an easy lesson and you have time to prepare very wide bends. Good lesson to test bending tricks.

Cheers mate!

--------------------

xosepineda

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 10 2008, 11:56 PM
Instructor
I almost exclusively bend with the upper string above my finger. In the same time palm muting is on for the upper strings. With a little bit of practice, they don't make no sound, don't worry. Sometimes, specially on high E it is cool to actually tuck away the above string bellow the bending finger, and catch that string and bend it with the high e.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 11:13 PM