Blues Or Country?!
kevvyg
Sep 11 2008, 01:25 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi Ivan, I wonder if you could answer a question?
I've just been loaned a CD by a blues guitarist called Kelly Joe Phelps.
Don't know if you've ever heard of him, the album is called 'Roll Away The Stone.'
Although I adore blues, I can't get into this - it sounds too Country, and I can't stand Country music, although I can't help but think Country is pentatonic in nature too.
What is it about this guys' sound that makes it sound Country-ish? I think this may relate back to a comment I just put in the blues lessons. I was asking what you would do, given a piece of pentatonic melody, to make it sound bluesy, then rocky, without changing the notes. I guess it's down to phrasing, but I'm not sure. All I can get out of the pentatonic at the moment is a blues sound but I want rock as well!! Add to this the question what makes the pentatonic sound country?
Could you devise a lesson where you play a pentatonic piece in a blusey style, then in a rocky style, then maybe in a country style (so I know how to avoid it!), with an explanation of what you're doing to achieve this?

Thanks!
Kevin

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by kevvyg: Sep 11 2008, 01:34 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:53 AM