8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Tflava's Bootcamp
Timmez
Jul 26 2021, 09:41 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey sarge,

here is my mission 30 and also a diminshed lick i practiced.

greetz Tim

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2021, 03:39 AM
GMC:er
Very impressive work Soldier!! I"ve shot a couple of videos to talk about your playing here. Top notch work on these. The lick you are working on outside bootcamp is very cool and gets really tricky at the end. It's gonna sound very cool in a solo!!

You KRUSHED the mission and your varying your mute which is great! It gives each lick a more dynamic vibe. You are doing this without being taught. Just intuitively. It sounds great. Lightening up the mute on higher strings and heaver on lower. It's how many player do muting including Steve Vai.

Congrats Soldier!! These are NOT easy licks in this one. Your stretch, your muting, it's all working great together!! These still will translate over to REC and Solos which is awesome!

You just..

LEVELED UP!!!
Attached Image
Attached Image

Onward!
Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Jul 26 2021, 04:41 PM) *
Hey sarge,

here is my mission 30 and also a diminshed lick i practiced.

greetz Tim

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 27 2021, 03:41 AM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jul 27 2021, 07:47 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot Sarge.
Yes it 's a cool lick from Tom quayle.
I need to learn a bunch of cool licks for my fusion study.

Thanks for the mission. I will continue with mission 31 and another lick of myself. Thanks for your help

Greetz

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 27 2021, 09:23 PM
Tom Quayle! It's a small world. I know him from a bit back. I was working on some stuff for a guitar web site he was part of. I did one of his sweep lessons. It was my first entrance to sweep picking smile.gif He's a great player.

You are on a roll with your playing. You have great momentum. keep it up! Great gains often come during times of working on many different things at once as they all fold in to the same skill set. I was really impressed with your reach/pinky on this last one. it's not easy to reach with the pinky and do pull offs and keep it in time. your hand is getting very strong!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Jul 27 2021, 02:47 AM) *
Thanks a lot Sarge.
Yes it 's a cool lick from Tom quayle.
I need to learn a bunch of cool licks for my fusion study.

Thanks for the mission. I will continue with mission 31 and another lick of myself. Thanks for your help

Greetz

+Quote Post
Timmez
Jul 28 2021, 08:27 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Allright thats nice. He got some very good fusion lessons and its difficult to find good fusion lessons on the web smile.gif

Is it ok to jump straight to mission 32? Mission 31 are only small legato parts and i work on my own legato stuff in a daily base.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 28 2021, 07:34 PM
You are more than ready for 32. Onward Soldier!!

Your hand is adapting to these quite well and your playing them much more like solo licks rather than drills which is great as many of them are designed to be used as solo licks. I do hope these add to your own bag of tricks that you can pull from when it's time to get creative and make solos! Keep it up Soldier!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Jul 28 2021, 03:27 AM) *
Allright thats nice. He got some very good fusion lessons and its difficult to find good fusion lessons on the web smile.gif

Is it ok to jump straight to mission 32? Mission 31 are only small legato parts and i work on my own legato stuff in a daily base.

Greetz tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 2 2021, 08:05 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hey sarge,

how are you.
After long thinking i have to say that i will quit the bootcamp missions.
I got too many other things too practice.

but i'll have to say that the bootcamp changed my speed and way of practice in a huge way. I will still practice licks on the bootcamp way but then my own licks and the stuff in the direction i want to go.
If its ok for you i can still send you my licks so you can take a look at it for me.

Im mainly focussing on alternate picking, economy picking, hybrid picking and legato.
And the other day on my improvisation.

Thanks for all your help sarge.
It helps me a lot.

greetz Tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 3 2021, 03:21 AM
Youve made great progress Soldier! Bootcamp is always here for ya!

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 7 2021, 07:33 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Sarge,

Here was another diminshed lick i practiced and 2 blazing fast legato sequences.
What do you think about it?
Te last part of legato lick 1 was a little bit to fast for me but i had to give it a try tongue.gif

Greetz Tim

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 7 2021, 10:54 PM
Cool licks! That second one sounds like a bootcamp lick! You are playing well but both don't seem as tied to the beat as they could be. Also, the second has such long gaps in between the clicks that it's tough to tell where it's tied to the beat and where it's not. I'd suggest more clicks/clacks just to serve as reference to see if you are playing in time.

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 7 2021, 02:33 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Here was another diminshed lick i practiced and 2 blazing fast legato sequences.
What do you think about it?
Te last part of legato lick 1 was a little bit to fast for me but i had to give it a try tongue.gif

Greetz Tim

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 8 2021, 04:28 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Heloo Srage,

yes you're right but the legato licks are hard to play with a metronome because they shift accents. the first sequence is 12 notes and after that 9 notes played as sextuplets so the accent is shifted.
but i will look if i can put the metronome higher and count it different smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 8 2021, 07:35 PM
I hear ya. legato is very tough with a metronome when accents shift, but making it work to a click will help it sound more solid. If you divide time up enough, there is a slot for each note. With large gaps between clicks its' almost impossible to tell even on playback if you are hitting it correctly. I think your on the way to nailing it! Just a bit more refinement.

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 8 2021, 11:28 AM) *
Heloo Srage,

yes you're right but the legato licks are hard to play with a metronome because they shift accents. the first sequence is 12 notes and after that 9 notes played as sextuplets so the accent is shifted.
but i will look if i can put the metronome higher and count it different smile.gif

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 9 2021, 07:25 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Hello Sarge,

Today i reached the mighty 200 bpm in sixteenth notes for the first time with a speed burst practice !
I practiced this speed burst for a couple of days. The first time i reached only to 155 Bpm but now the 200 bpm.
Its getting less relaxed from 180 bpm but i had to give the 200 bpm a try wink.gif

This post has been edited by tflava: Aug 9 2021, 07:25 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 9 2021, 08:40 PM
Super congrats! You are making great progress! BURST playing is a great way to give your fingers a chance to feel what it is like when they reach the promised land of shredding. It allows a hand to play a bit above its actual speed which is a great way to help stay motivated. I can hear things get a bit sketchy as you hit the upper speeds but that's fine as the edge of ones ability is always going to be a bit sketchy. Eventually your hands will catch up to the burst rate and you'll be able to play at 200 in a loop without having to use burst technique.

A great lick to work on pure speed is the traditional paul gilbert lick that we have done here in bootcamp.

Any string, usually G, Fret 12, 14, 15, shift up to B string, fret 12, back down to G, Fret 15, 14, 12. That lick makes a great looping lick to work up consistent speed. I used it myself to work up my own speed when pushing up the bpm. Here is a video with my fave looping shred licks including that one. I've built these up one bpm at a time so that I can get it up and keep it up when speed is needed during a solo. It's the next step after burst play to find a new ceiling. Once I found my new roof, I would work my hands up to be able to play at that speed with endurance and consistency.

*LET ME KNOW IF YOU WANT TO TRY ONE OF THESE AND I"LL PUT IT UP IN GUITAR PRO

also, here is a vid of my muting technique while shredding. Notice how little tension im using on the picking hand. that's a big part of it as too much tension will burn out the hand and keeps you from being able to play for extended periods at speed.

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 9 2021, 02:25 PM) *
Hello Sarge,

Today i reached the mighty 200 bpm in sixteenth notes for the first time with a speed burst practice !
I practiced this speed burst for a couple of days. The first time i reached only to 155 Bpm but now the 200 bpm.
Its getting less relaxed from 180 bpm but i had to give the 200 bpm a try wink.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 10 2021, 07:07 AM

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 11 2021, 04:40 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
Thanks a lot Sarge..
I also notice it started to get shaky from 180 bpm.
But i will continu with some excersises and share you the progress. Thanks for the vids.

Greetz

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2021, 01:21 AM
Try using a lick that loops so that you don't have to stop. if there is a break in the lick, you are training your hands to stop after a few notes. it's a good way to make a bit of progress on speed, but it can be a trap as well. I think you have a good burst target of 180. Any looping shred lick will work. the ones I used in the video are great examples of this approach. They are simple licks that allow you actually increase your overall speed and endurance over time. I'm sure you know several licks like this. Just pick one and try to do it maybe 5 minutes each day and add 1 or two bpm each day. Before you know it, you'll be shredding. Full on, extended, full speed shred. smile.gif

BTW one of my fave looping shred licks is QUICK LICKS 77 It's got full tabs in it. Try this lick when you can!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry767891

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 11 2021, 11:40 AM) *
Thanks a lot Sarge..
I also notice it started to get shaky from 180 bpm.
But i will continu with some excersises and share you the progress. Thanks for the vids.

Greetz

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Aug 13 2021, 08:59 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 13 2021, 10:07 AM
This is a great shred lick to work up straight line speed as it's only one pick strike per string and the rest is hammered on. So it sounds like a lot of notes happening and the mute makes it sound picked/percussive and you get an extra note for free with the open string.

Here is the tab
Attached File  shred_drill.gp5 ( 2.73K ) Number of downloads: 57

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Timmez
Aug 15 2021, 12:38 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Aug 13 2021, 12:21 AM) *
Try using a lick that loops so that you don't have to stop. if there is a break in the lick, you are training your hands to stop after a few notes. it's a good way to make a bit of progress on speed, but it can be a trap as well. I think you have a good burst target of 180. Any looping shred lick will work. the ones I used in the video are great examples of this approach. They are simple licks that allow you actually increase your overall speed and endurance over time. I'm sure you know several licks like this. Just pick one and try to do it maybe 5 minutes each day and add 1 or two bpm each day. Before you know it, you'll be shredding. Full on, extended, full speed shred. smile.gif

BTW one of my fave looping shred licks is QUICK LICKS 77 It's got full tabs in it. Try this lick when you can!
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...mp;#entry767891

Thanks a lot. I will try to spend some time on it when i have time smile.gif ill go for the looping drill

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 02:43 AM
please do share it here as well. Love to see it. Onward!!!

Sarge

QUOTE (tflava @ Aug 15 2021, 07:38 AM) *
Thanks a lot. I will try to spend some time on it when i have time smile.gif ill go for the looping drill

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 16 2021, 06:46 PM
How are you coming along with you 180BPM Speed Barrier? I think you can break through it!!

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 04:46 PM