Which First?
coolzx
Dec 30 2008, 01:43 AM
GMC:er
I've been told lately that you should always learn acoustic first before you atempt to learn electric, but there are also who said other wise. dry.gif So I just wanted to know "en masse" what everyone thinks, since i made up my own mind and bought an electric anyways. tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Dec 30 2008, 01:51 AM
Well, I'm away from home with my acoustic at my side and I really do miss my electric, however, playing acoustic does seem to give some advantage when going back to electric. I think it just feels easier going from Acoustic to Elec. when one is in such a situation as I am. You can't really shred per se on an acoustic (which is what I practice a lot-shredding), but if you do it takes a lot more precision work, same with sweeping...oh man, try sweeping on an acoustic, it'll improve your skills to be sure. Either style of guitar you're going to improve if you practice a lot.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 30 2008, 01:52 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Well electric it is then mate. smile.gif You made your choice so stick with it wink.gif

I don't think there is really any right answer to your question. It's what ever is going to motivate you to put in the time to practice. If I can help let me know.

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
Ajmurrell
Dec 30 2008, 01:54 AM
Learning Tone Master
My personal opinion is you should start with whichever one you would prefer to play, and feel you'd get the most enjoyement from.

Learning an instrument takes a lot of time and practise, and this is made 100 times easier if you start learning what you want to learn.

For me, I tried learning Piano, Trumpet, Recorder etc - but the guitar was the first (second to maybe the trumpet when I was younger) that was truely pleasureable. I started with the electric, and I'm fairly confident my interest wouldn't have been as big as it is now if I'd have started on acoustic.

Not to say acoustic guitar is inferior to the electric by any means, as I love playing the acoustic just as much, but I personally was drawn to the electric like a fly to those blue neon lights in the zapper's. Once you go in, there's no coming back out!

It's totally on personal opinion and whatever works on the individual in question, thats my answer at least.

QUOTE (coolzx @ Dec 30 2008, 12:43 AM) *
I've been told lately that you should always learn acoustic first before you atempt to learn electric, but there are also who said other wise. dry.gif So I just wanted to know "en masse" what everyone thinks, since i made up my own mind and bought an electric anyways. tongue.gif

--------------------
GMC Travel Agent, at your service.

+Quote Post
coolzx
Dec 30 2008, 02:17 AM
Thanks a lot guys, it really helped me, and guess me strating with elecric isnt as bad as everyone around me said.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Dec 30 2008, 02:22 AM
Instructor
I started with acoustic and then later (6 months later) switched to electric. It definitely helps to play acoustic - I recommend both for complete development smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 30 2008, 02:23 AM
The answer to this is very simple.

Starting out as a guitarist is extremely hard, and you'll need lots of motivation.
It is of outmost importance that you start out with the stuff you listen to.

Say you love metal, and want to play lamb of god stuff.
Obviously the answer will be electric.

To maintain the passion for your instrument you have to enjoy what you are playing, if not, you'll stop doing it.
I've seen lots of guys that love guitar rock'n'roll, gotten an acoustic, and gave up because everything they're taught is chords and chilly lines.

I hope this makes sense!

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Dec 30 2008, 02:27 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
There is no right or wrong way....You made your own mind and started with electric..What I would recommend though is getting an acoustic one in the future too so you can play both..One will be your main focus of course (electric) but you could explore playing an acoustic one too so you develop skills from both worlds...

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Lian Gerbino
Dec 30 2008, 02:31 AM
Instructor
well, I really dont know... mellow.gif
if this helps you, I´ve started to play with a nylon acoustic in my first months... but I remember I hated it tongue.gif that´s why I bought an electric one as soon I could tongue.gif
and I learned a lot in the first years playing electric guitar.
then, I picked the acoustic up once again to improve some folk skills tongue.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Lian Gerbino: Dec 30 2008, 02:32 AM

+Quote Post
GuitarsANDtattoo...
Dec 30 2008, 04:04 AM
Yeah, both types do provide a totally unique sound. Like two separate worlds of feelings.

--------------------
Practice, you must!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 30 2008, 05:39 PM
Instructor
Both instruments are cool mate, and you won't make a mistake when choosing any of them as your primary focus. It is good to use both acoustic and electric when you practice, cause acoustic guitar can make you to do things you generally wouldn't do on electric guitar, like sliding and doing hammer ons and pull offs where you would normally bend the notes. So anything is good actually, as long as you keep practicing and as long as it makes you happy.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
timono
Dec 30 2008, 05:51 PM
at the age of 9 i started on a nylon and played that for a long time 4-5 years, i liked it but not more then that. I practiced only like half an hour max a day. then i bought an electric guitar and switched guitar teacher and started to play electric and started to play more, at least half an hour a day.. After half a year on the electric GMC came on my guitarway and started to LOVE the guitar.

now I play electric and acoustic sometimes. I think i had some advantage with starting on an acoustic first cause my right hand fingerpicking is still pretty good... i think

But i think you need to start at whatever you love smile.gif

Timon

--------------------
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez RG 2550 EGK Presige, Essex wannabe Gibson guitar (don't know the full name), Alhambra acoustic guitar

Amps: Marshall MG 50DFX, Evans sound creator (50 watt), Orange crush 10

Effect pedals: Korg AX1500G

record stuff: Line 6 toneport UX1

Piano: Yamaha P-85

Wishlist:

Ibanez Jem 7V!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
wrk
Dec 30 2008, 07:07 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
As said above, there is not right or wrong, it depends on the music you want to do and the sound you like. The question with which to start first can not really be answered as the question would follow at which point it would makes sense to switch laugh.gif

If you are at the moment mainly interesting in electric guitar, then this is your instrument.

I think as an electric guitar player it is always helpful to play acoustic as well. In my opinion it helps a lot to strengthen your hands and you can not hide behind distortion or effects.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 12:55 PM