Building A Guitar!, I'm really exicited- and pretty nervous too...
sidewas lightnin...
Aug 1 2008, 09:32 PM
GMC:er
Hello world!

I have decided the time has come to... gasp... build my own guitar! If it doesn't turn out, I just sell all the parts and get a normal guitar instead. What's the worst that can happen...?

I know it will be tough, and will take a while to do, but I plan to do it and adjust it until it works or it is just impossible to fix. I have decided to take an Eddie Van Halen style approach where anything goes.

I decided to do it when I read a magazine article about the EVH Frankenstein replicas and how the original was built, and I totally connected with its story. Just like Ed, I want a Gibson tone, but a Fender feel and also a tremolo that gibsons don't offer. So its going to be an ash strat body and a maple neck, one humbucker (probably a Duncan pearly gates) and an original Floyd Rose (I want it recessed so it can go up too.) I could go on and on about its specs, but you guys probably don't want to hear about what kind of capicitators I'm using. So the bottom line is, if you have any experience in guitar building, please help. Thanks!

I'll keep you updated on how I'm doing and I'll post pictures!

Wish me luck!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I spelled my username wrong...I didn't even think that was possible!

Look at the topic for my guitar...
Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Homemade strat (You still need to look at its topic!)
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)
Line 6 spider amp (not actually used for anything, just acts as a speaker)
Digitech Gnx2 (kind of old, but cheap, and sounds amazing!)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 7)
Andrew Cockburn
Aug 1 2008, 09:33 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Good luck! Looking forward to seeing how this develops - we'll need regular updates biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Aug 1 2008, 09:35 PM
Learning Tone Master
Are you buying the parts from Warmoth or something like that or are you building the body and neck on your own?

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Aug 1 2008, 10:00 PM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Aug 1 2008, 04:35 PM) *
Are you buying the parts from Warmoth or something like that or are you building the body and neck on your own?

I am buying the parts from warmoth mostly, I getting a few things that they don't have from other places. It's pretty tricky building a neck exactly right anyway, and there's enough reasons for it to get screwed up already. Intonation is pretty tricky... a millimeter becomes a mile when youre doing something like this. But I think I can do it. I'm not going to get it finished though... I have my own paint job in mind. It's too bad van halen came forty years before me, cause he took the easiest to apply and coolest looking finish possible. Mine's close though. It was going to be red, black and white, but I figured that was overused (van halen, the white stripes, etc.) so i changed the red to light blue to be original.

This post has been edited by sidewas lightning: Aug 1 2008, 10:01 PM

--------------------

Finished Guitar Build

Gear:
Squier strat (probably going to get rid of it and get another guitar instead) :)

+Quote Post
-Zion-
Aug 1 2008, 10:21 PM
Learning Roadie
cool.. good luck with it.. sounds like fun..

keep us posted

+Quote Post
kjutte
Aug 2 2008, 11:35 AM
Cool project man. I wish you the best of luck!

+Quote Post
buttmonk
Aug 3 2008, 06:47 PM
If you want Gibson tone shouldn't u get a mahogany body and perhaps neck as well? Or maybe Swamp Ash which should be somewhere in between mahogany and alder, or perhaps that is what you mean by ash.... Ash body and maple neck will give u Fenderishness....

You might want to try stainless steel frets, they are noticeably smoother for bends, I have them on all my builds and would not go back to nickel-silver. Also if you go with Warmoth neck then remember there is a chance that you may need to get or a fret job, they apparently do not level or polish the frets but in a lot of cases the quality of their fret fitting process is enough for this not to be necessary...but u never know.

But anyways, have fun, building guitars is cool tongue.gif

This post has been edited by buttmonk: Aug 3 2008, 06:52 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
sidewas lightnin...
Aug 3 2008, 08:28 PM
QUOTE (buttmonk @ Aug 3 2008, 01:47 PM) *
If you want Gibson tone shouldn't u get a mahogany body and perhaps neck as well? Or maybe Swamp Ash which should be somewhere in between mahogany and alder, or perhaps that is what you mean by ash.... Ash body and maple neck will give u Fenderishness....

You might want to try stainless steel frets, they are noticeably smoother for bends, I have them on all my builds and would not go back to nickel-silver. Also if you go with Warmoth neck then remember there is a chance that you may need to get or a fret job, they apparently do not level or polish the frets but in a lot of cases the quality of their fret fitting process is enough for this not to be necessary...but u never know.

But anyways, have fun, building guitars is cool tongue.gif

Yeah, I am going to get swamp ash. There's many factors I need to consider, but I think it should turn out okay. It might take a while, since I don't have enough spare money to afford all the parts right now. But I need to finish the body and stuff before I put anything on it anyway.

I might try the steel frets, but I don't know.

This post has been edited by sidewas lightning: Aug 3 2008, 08:29 PM

--------------------

Finished Guitar Build

Gear:

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 04:04 PM