Master The Mixolydian Scale Video Collab!, Get comfortable with the Mixo scale!
David Wallimann
Sep 1 2009, 06:43 PM
Instructor
Welcome to the Mixolydian mode collaboration!

Attached File  Mixolydian_Groove_in_D.mp3 ( 966.43K ) Number of downloads: 373

This collab is open to anyone. Just download the backing track, record you take over it and post it in this thread.
There is no need to send your solo without the backing anymore. Just send a full mix of your work...
There are no limit of participants here. Just make sure your work is uploaded before September the 20th!
The sooner you post your work, the better as I will record your comments as we go...

This collaboration is designed to help you get more comfortable with the Mixolydian mode.
The key of the backing track is in D Mixo. Don't worry about making something very technical, but focus on rhythm placement, notes and constructing melodic lines that fit the track.
The groove should guide you when playing...

Here is a suggested scale diagram for those of you unsure where to start:

Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by David Wallimann: Sep 1 2009, 06:56 PM

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Start new topic
Replies (1 - 19)
Nimrandir
Sep 1 2009, 06:51 PM
GMC:er
I'd like to try it! smile.gif
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 1 2009, 08:43 PM) *
Just make sure your work is uploaded before August the 20th!

But do you mean September? smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 1 2009, 06:56 PM
In it. Especially if this is the D mixo groove of yours that I've been noodling with.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 1 2009, 06:56 PM
Instructor
Haha!
Yeah, I meant September! :-)
Glad you're in!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 1 2009, 07:04 PM
Btw: the topic says video but the post does not. I assume you do in fact want video as well as an audio take?

--------------------

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Sep 1 2009, 07:16 PM
Man... Please count me in. I'm psyched.

+Quote Post
superize
Sep 1 2009, 09:09 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
I want to join

Could you tell me what the chord progression is

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 2 2009, 12:10 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 1 2009, 02:04 PM) *
Btw: the topic says video but the post does not. I assume you do in fact want video as well as an audio take?

Glad you're in!
No, you only need to upload an mp3...
The video means that you will get a video response! :-)
Although you can record a video if you want...

QUOTE (superize @ Sep 1 2009, 04:09 PM) *
I want to join

Could you tell me what the chord progression is

Sure!
The chords are as follow:

D C/D (That's a C triad with a D on bass)
Those two chords loop on the first and last section

The middle section is as follow:

D C G D

I hope that helps!
I'm glad you're in!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 2 2009, 04:44 AM
Not perfect, but I felt some of its nicer parts weren't going to be easily repeatable.

Attached File  DWDMG_jafomatic_wbt.mp3 ( 2.36MB ) Number of downloads: 188

--------------------

+Quote Post
maharzan
Sep 2 2009, 05:08 AM
Veteran Guitar Lord
I m in as well.. smile.gif need to start composing!

Nice on jafo!

This post has been edited by maharzan: Sep 2 2009, 05:10 AM

--------------------
Checkout my YouTube & my band Nissim's YouTube channels.

+Quote Post
TheKeplerConject...
Sep 2 2009, 05:47 AM
Hey David, I'm working out an outline for my solo right now. Just a bunch of ideas. My favorite idea for the middle section is using D minor pentatonic. Would you consider that cheating? Would you rather I abandon the cool sounding pentatonic thing in order to stay true to the challenge, or is the main concept to get something good and creative out?

If you consider it more important to stay strict to Mixolydian I'll just take another shot. Thanks!

This post has been edited by TheKeplerConjecture: Sep 2 2009, 06:52 AM

+Quote Post
Rated Htr
Sep 2 2009, 01:22 PM
Experienced Rock Star
I'M IN!!!

--------------------
Currently Practicing

Rhythm: Finnish Power Metal III: Nightwish
Legato: Ben's Land Of Legato
Alternate Picking: Alternate Picking Workout #5
Chords: Chord Melody Technique

+Quote Post
kaznie_NL
Sep 2 2009, 04:24 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 2 2009, 05:44 AM) *
Not perfect, but I felt some of its nicer parts weren't going to be easily repeatable.

Very nice! Your tone also fits just right in there!

--------------------
My YouTube Channel Here

My Rec Takes Here

--- GEAR ---
Ibanez SA08LTD2 BAR
Vox AD50VT
Pod Farm
Line 6 Pod Studio GX
El Cheapo Strat
Dunlop Slide
Korg Toneworks AX5G

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 2 2009, 04:41 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 1 2009, 11:44 PM) *

Man! This a great take!!!!!
Do you mind posting it in the finished thread please?
It will be easier for me to keep track of all the uploads.
Thanks!

QUOTE (TheKeplerConjecture @ Sep 2 2009, 12:47 AM) *
Hey David, I'm working out an outline for my solo right now. Just a bunch of ideas. My favorite idea for the middle section is using D minor pentatonic. Would you consider that cheating? Would you rather I abandon the cool sounding pentatonic thing in order to stay true to the challenge, or is the main concept to get something good and creative out?

If you consider it more important to stay strict to Mixolydian I'll just take another shot. Thanks!

Hehe!
Absolutely, you can use the minor pentatonic.. I just don't want students to use the minor penta all along the track, that would defeat the purpose of working with the Mixolydian scale...

For those of you wondering why the minor pentatonic would work on the Mixolydian scale:
The only note of the minor pentatonic not found in the Mixolydian scale is the minor third.
That minor third used over a Major chord as it is the case in this track will create a little tension that makes it sound blues...

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 2 2009, 04:48 PM
init !

Sweet backing, reminds me of good summer songs and like, Satrianis "Feels so Good!"

This post has been edited by Jesse: Sep 2 2009, 04:49 PM

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 2 2009, 05:05 PM
Instructor
Glad you're in man! :-)

I'm really loving this!
What type of compressor did you use on the overall mix?
It sounds good!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
Jesse
Sep 2 2009, 05:07 PM
I guess that was supposed for Jafo:O And his take!

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 2 2009, 05:13 PM
QUOTE (David Wallimann @ Sep 2 2009, 11:05 AM) *
Glad you're in man! :-)

I'm really loving this!
What type of compressor did you use on the overall mix?
It sounds good!

I dropped the Maximus compressor on a send, with its preset called "Max loudness without distortion," then sent the backing to that insert 100% and my lead to it about 90% (give or take). it's why it sounds like I'm using my "same old delay" unfortunately. In the raw take that delay is much MUCH lower in the mix, but Maximus picks up just about everything if you let it.

Let's see if I can find more info about max... yes, plugin details here

EDIT: Posted a little too soon.

So I was using some other maximus presets wrapped in another plugin called "Soundgoodizer" and I was using them, quite often, at insanely high levels. After talking with Ivan Milenkovic about it a little more, I've started using the maximus plugin direct (not wrapped up in dummy mode) and most of the results are still good.

Even wrapped up in dummy mode it does amazing things for backing tracks (if used responsibly) but that may be my ear: I tend to prefer way too much bass than a real sound engineer would permit.

Y'know, I'll add my pod preset here too, some of the sound's "bigness" is coming from a chorus pedal trick.

Attached File  Mixo_Groove_in_D.l6t ( 1.9K ) Number of downloads: 85

Looks like this:

Attached Image

Listening to it more, it really is a better tone than I tend to produce, I guess that's why it's made such an impression. I'm a little bashful about it but thankful for the encouraging feedback smile.gif

This post has been edited by jafomatic: Sep 2 2009, 05:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Sep 2 2009, 05:15 PM
I'd love to give this a go David!!
biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Sep 2 2009, 08:19 PM
Instructor
Thanks a lot for the info on you tone!
Really brilliant!
Jones, I'd love to have you here!
No need to ask guys, as long as your mp3 is uploaded in the upload thread by the deadline, you'll get a comment!

--------------------
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 02:50 AM