Why Blues Is So Important?
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 12 2017, 05:36 PM
Instructor
Hello guys! This is an old video but I'd like to share it here because it includes really wise words for rock / metal guitarists.

Please check it out and let me know what you think.

and if this video inspires you, here you'll find your next destinations:

Blues Guitar Theory Guide

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/video-lessons/blues/

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Gabriel Leopardi: Feb 12 2017, 05:36 PM

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 12 2017, 06:53 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Words of wisdom! I believe that every beginning guitar player should start with listening to, learning, and playing the blues. It's the best foundation to have I think for most of the music that aspiring guitar players want to play.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 12 2017, 10:18 PM
GMC:er
Great Vid!!! Paul Gilbert is the man!!! He's got some great points here. Blues is a foundational style. It can grow in unlimited directions as it moves towards Jazz. Some folks really dismiss it but it's very important in terms of learning how to be a well rounded player.

Todd

+Quote Post
Mertay
Feb 12 2017, 11:18 PM
I started getting into blues pretty late, wasn't much of a fan of the genre although I loved the festivals smile.gif

As of this reason my improvisation skills developed really slow. Even if strong, a technical foundation (meaning all melody one knows comes from speedy exercises or other songs solo's) is still equal to weak melodic creativity, as paul mentions in the video.

Getting into pentatonic/blues scale (Gabe shared the GMC theory guide, its well prepared by the way as not having super detailed/boring explanations like most books...) and shortly after adding/trying notes on it was a very extreme boost to my improvisation development.

No one has to be a fan of blues to enjoy playing it, though I'm sure there's some style or player of blues for everyone. Its worth sparing time listening to the famous ones atleast.

To be able to create satisfying melody, some level of blues is essential. My guess to this is because its so like singing when messing around with such scales+music.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Feb 12 2017, 11:20 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Feb 13 2017, 04:06 AM
TIME TO PUT YOUR LICKS WHERE YOUR MOUTH IS GUYS!!! smile.gif BLUES!!!!!! is the topic of this weeks

SUNDAY SOLO CHALLENGE!!!!

*Audio or Video submissions accepted!!! (Badge Up!)

http://bit.ly/sundayshredfestx39

+Quote Post
Grappa
Feb 14 2017, 05:41 PM
Learning Roadie
PG - what a guy..

If ever there was a guitar hero I would want to have a beer with it's Gilbert... his has my kind of sense of humour..

On a serious note I cannot disagree with a single point he makes..

Si

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 15 2017, 01:42 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Mertay @ Feb 12 2017, 07:18 PM) *
I started getting into blues pretty late, wasn't much of a fan of the genre although I loved the festivals smile.gif

As of this reason my improvisation skills developed really slow. Even if strong, a technical foundation (meaning all melody one knows comes from speedy exercises or other songs solo's) is still equal to weak melodic creativity, as paul mentions in the video.

Getting into pentatonic/blues scale (Gabe shared the GMC theory guide, its well prepared by the way as not having super detailed/boring explanations like most books...) and shortly after adding/trying notes on it was a very extreme boost to my improvisation development.

No one has to be a fan of blues to enjoy playing it, though I'm sure there's some style or player of blues for everyone. Its worth sparing time listening to the famous ones atleast.

To be able to create satisfying melody, some level of blues is essential. My guess to this is because its so like singing when messing around with such scales+music.

Wise words! I'd like to add this video since it's totally related to the topic and to what you are saying:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 24 2017, 01:48 PM
Instructor
Hi guys, just another blues inspiring video that I'd like to share:

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 24 2017, 06:04 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
Great stuff Gabriel! Here is another video that may be inspiring to the shredders in the house. Some aggressive blues playing here so hold on to your hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2017, 03:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 24 2017, 02:04 PM) *
Great stuff Gabriel! Here is another video that may be inspiring to the shredders in the house. Some aggressive blues playing here so hold on to your hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4l1Jk3ZCb4

That's really cool! When I was a big Malmsteen fan (early teen years) I couldn't appreciate his blues job. I thought that he was playing the same thing than always but with some more Pentatonic. But there are great things happening here related to Blues Scale, Mixolydian, Dorian, and Dominant Arpeggios... while he keeps his shred spirit.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
klasaine
Feb 25 2017, 04:09 PM
Two cool things about the Ynqwie video.
1) His tone is great.
2) He nails the chord changes. SO many players don't get that the difference between the men and the boys with blues is playing over the changes. The keys player doesn't - and it bugs me.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Feb 26 2017, 12:04 AM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2017, 04:46 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 25 2017, 12:09 PM) *
1) His tone is great.
2) He nails the chord changes. SO many players don't get that that difference between the men and the boys with blues is playing over the changes. The keys player doesn't - and it bugs me.

Exactly. smile.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 25 2017, 04:46 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (klasaine @ Feb 25 2017, 07:09 AM) *
1) His tone is great.
2) He nails the chord changes. SO many players don't get that that difference between the men and the boys with blues is playing over the changes. The keys player doesn't - and it bugs me.

You caught that too eh? Man, I couldn't wait for him to finish that keyboard solo. dry.gif

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 25 2017, 04:55 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (AK Rich @ Feb 25 2017, 12:46 PM) *
You caught that too eh? Man, I couldn't wait for him to finish that keyboard solo. dry.gif

hahaha here is my truth. I've heard the first minute of the song (I've never reached to a key solo), paused this, pick up my guitar, and started learning some of the first licks, and this become a guitar practice session, so I've never heard the whole thing...

now I don't want to reach to the keys solo... laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
AK Rich
Feb 25 2017, 05:12 PM
Learning Guitar Hero
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2017, 07:55 AM) *
hahaha here is my truth. I've heard the first minute of the song (I've never reached to a key solo), paused this, pick up my guitar, and started learning some of the first licks, and this become a guitar practice session, so I've never heard the whole thing...

now I don't want to reach to the keys solo... laugh.gif laugh.gif

laugh.gif I hear you there Gabriel. I was taking some notes of my own as to some of the licks that I heard in that piece that I have every intention of stealing and tweaking into my own thing. cool.gif

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Feb 25 2017, 08:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Feb 25 2017, 03:46 PM) *
That's really cool! When I was a big Malmsteen fan (early teen years) I couldn't appreciate his blues job. I thought that he was playing the same thing than always but with some more Pentatonic. But there are great things happening here related to Blues Scale, Mixolydian, Dorian, and Dominant Arpeggios... while he keeps his shred spirit.

always have loved his blues . I think I learned more blues from trying to shred and learning his stuff than anybody , those 2 notes @3:18 sent me to the bothroom to clean up a mess laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:28 AM