Petrucci's Rock Discipline, Good/bad/input?
wheeler
Apr 12 2007, 06:39 PM
GMC:er
I've heard a lot of people citing Petrucci's Rock Discipline DVD as their practice Bible. Has anyone seen it? Any input on whether you found it to be a useful tool?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Apr 12 2007, 07:04 PM
Instructor
Yes!
I have it and it's a very very good video.
Excellent chop builder lessons. I highly recommend it.
That one and Paul Gilbert's video are my favourite ones.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
Apr 12 2007, 07:05 PM
It's useful if you remember it as exactly what it is - a practice video. It teaches technique and excercises to ensure you don't injure yourself. It doesn't teach Dream Theatre songs or cool riffs or fancy crap to impress your friends. It is certainly a routine that can improve your technique.

+Quote Post
moorkop
Apr 12 2007, 07:06 PM
I have recently seen it, and although i'm not a fan of petrucci, its awesome

it has things like warmup tricks and things to stretch your fingers, it also has awesome metronome stuff
if you wonder how to become real good, watching the video will help a lot

its not all about speed but about tone as well, i think you should buy it biggrin.gif

--------------------
gear
guitar: ibanez SA 260 FM
amp: hughes & ketler blue edition 60 wts (in garage)
amp you hear: crappy yahama borrowed from friend
effects: dunlop jimi hendrix wahwah

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 12 2007, 07:16 PM
Perfect! Sounds like what I'm looking for. My goal right now is to go back and correct/perfect all of the FUNDAMENTALS and build from there. I think if you have solid fundamental technique and you practice correctly, the rest will come. And I've heard that this is an excellent tool to that end. Thanks for the input everyone!

+Quote Post
The Uncreator
Apr 12 2007, 11:33 PM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Here it is free of charge actually, apparently legal biggrin.gif

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=john...=en&start=0

Its divided into 12 parts, just search them if you want to

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 12 2007, 11:54 PM
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Apr 12 2007, 05:33 PM) *
Here it is free of charge actually, apparently legal biggrin.gif

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=john...=en&start=0

Its divided into 12 parts, just search them if you want to

Even better! That fits nicely into my price range. biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Tank
Apr 13 2007, 10:33 AM
GMC Veteran
QUOTE (Wallimann @ Apr 12 2007, 07:04 PM) *
Yes!
I have it and it's a very very good video.
Excellent chop builder lessons. I highly recommend it.
That one and Paul Gilbert's video are my favourite ones.

I have both of Paul Gilberts, and the Petrucci video, and I agree with David they are still great. Visually very cheesy (we like cheesy!!) but tackle alt picking, legato, and getting speed into runs using drills. And as you'd expect, the ability they show on the videos is jaw dropping. I don't think they are in production any more, but if you find them, they are well worth getting.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Apr 13 2007, 11:46 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Apr 12 2007, 08:05 PM) *
It's useful if you remember it as exactly what it is - a practice video. It teaches technique and excercises to ensure you don't injure yourself. It doesn't teach Dream Theatre songs or cool riffs or fancy crap to impress your friends. It is certainly a routine that can improve your technique.

Good point.

I would like to add this to your saying - towards the end of the video John does explain the thought process behind dream theater riffs and chordal structure - which is very useful for anyone wanting to write progressive metal tunes!

--------------------

+Quote Post
wheeler
Apr 13 2007, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (brainlesswonder @ Apr 12 2007, 01:05 PM) *

Unfortunately, after 15 years of playing, I realized that I had spent entirely too much time on "fancy crap to impress my friends". That's why I'm here in GMC...my playing had developed into a style that I would call "smoke and mirrors"....to the uninitiated, I probably seemed like a guitar hero.....but any competent guitar player could see that my fundamental skills were passable at best. So my focus now is on rewinding a decade and a half and establishing solid base technique...i.e., clean and accurate alt picking, accurate and well-timed sweeps, etc.... basically trying to unlearn all of the garbage and useless "tricks" that I've allowed myself to call playing. That's what I'm looking for in this video.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 03:42 PM