"major" Scale Excercises, **Intermediates**
Chris Evans
Sep 15 2008, 01:53 PM
Learning Tone Guru - Community Coordinator & Moderator
Scale Exercises

Attached Image
This is exactly the same lesson as for the beginners exercises, the challenge is purely to play it all faster, as an intermediate player I like to find as many of these kind of exercises as possible, I find they help me mainly with my timing, but also with picking techniques.
They help keep your fingers in shape and you still need to concentrate on various aspects of your playing.

This originally was going to be just one lesson and one post aimed at the beginner, however, the original 220BPM video`s may have made the exercises seem a little too difficult for the beginner which is why I decided to split this lesson into two, and aim one purely at beginners and one at intermediates smile.gif

I`ll not waffle too much and get straight into the exercises smile.gif

Exercise 1

Attached Image

One scale pattern ascending and descending, starting in the Key of C

The key progression is as follow C, D, E, F, D, E, C

Tabs are not really required, if you follow the patterns it is straightforward enough smile.gif

Video 1 : Attached File  Major_part_1_Main.mpg ( 9.32MB ) Number of downloads: 783

Played at 220BPM, sounds fast, but its not too bad once you get into it, you may want to loop the backing to double the length of the exercise

Slow Video : Attached File  Slow_Video_1.mpg ( 7.9MB ) Number of downloads: 431

Here I`m playing just the C scale for demo purposes.

Backing track at 220BPM: Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_220bpm.mp3 ( 755.44K ) Number of downloads: 495

Exercise 2

Video 2 : Attached File  Major_part_3.mpg ( 9.54MB ) Number of downloads: 534

Slow Video : Attached File  Slow_Video_2.mpg ( 9.44MB ) Number of downloads: 353

Same backing track as exercise

Using the pattern in excercise 1 for ascending run then this pattern

Attached Image

For the descending run, I tend to use this exercise for alternate picking and legato and turning it into a three note per string exercise.

Exercise 3 (the reverse)

Same pattern shapes as exercise 2 but reversed, so we are now ascending with the three note per string pattern and descending with exercise ones pattern.

Video 3 : Attached File  Major_part_3.mpg ( 9.54MB ) Number of downloads: 534

slow video : Attached File  Slow_video_3.mpg ( 9.12MB ) Number of downloads: 357

Same backing speed as first two exercises.

Exercise 4

Using the three note per string patterns for ascending and descending runs, probably the most interesting excerise out of the four, I like this exercise a lot and probably the one I use the most.

Video 4 : Attached File  Major_Part_4.mpg ( 9.44MB ) Number of downloads: 405

Slow video : Attached File  Slow_Video_4.mpg ( 11.6MB ) Number of downloads: 399

Various Backing track speeds

220BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_220bpm.mp3 ( 755.44K ) Number of downloads: 495

180BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_180bpm.mp3 ( 926.64K ) Number of downloads: 387

150BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_150bpm.mp3 ( 1.08MB ) Number of downloads: 387

110BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_110bpm.mp3 ( 1.48MB ) Number of downloads: 364

90BPM : Attached File  Major_workout_audio_main_backing_90bpm.mp3 ( 1.81MB ) Number of downloads: 371

I hope these will be of some use to you, they are something to play when your looking for finger exercises smile.gif

any questions just ask

Chris

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Smells: Sep 15 2008, 02:03 PM

Attached File(s)
Attached File  Major_Part_2.mpg ( 9.32MB ) Number of downloads: 269

--------------------
Show us what part of the world you live in and get yourself
ON THE GMC:er Location MAP
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Siggum
Sep 15 2008, 08:19 PM
GMC:er
Great Excercies mate, very usefull biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

It dont mean a thing if it aint got that swing

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 15 2008, 09:23 PM
Instructor
Great lesson Smells, thanks for putting it up together and sharing the knowledge.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Sep 15 2008, 09:24 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
Top notch lesson Smells! smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 16 2008, 04:03 AM
Awesome... you made something that is usually boring to do alot of fun... thanks, im gonna work on this everynight

--------------------

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
Sep 18 2008, 12:56 AM
These are also some good pinky building exercises... im finding that after awhile of doing these my pinky is sore, which is good cause its building it up

This post has been edited by Outlaw2112: Sep 18 2008, 02:18 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 18 2008, 09:31 AM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ Sep 18 2008, 12:56 AM) *
These are also some good pinky building exercises... im finding that after awhile of doing these my pinky is sore, which is good cause its building it up

yes your right, good for pinky smile.gif

I`m working on a pinky exercise at the moment tis a killer, just ask my pinky! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Sep 18 2008, 09:37 AM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
Great lesson Smells smile.gif

I'll start with the lesson for beginners though, as I need to practice stuff like this smile.gif

+Quote Post
Antipolitik
Sep 24 2008, 03:05 AM
Super stuff... thanks Smells and for Outlaw giving me the link to the thread (lazy me!).
This is exactly what I need... You are quickly becoming my PT, not as in Personal Trainer but more
like Pinky Trainer... waaahahahaha.

I will do this every day before hitting bed!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Velvet Roger
Sep 24 2008, 07:39 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
Nice lesson, gonna work on it tonight right away smile.gif

--------------------
"Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong."

Guitars & Amps
Brian Moore DC-1 Custom Shop (Cherry Sunburst, mahogany/rosewood)
Eric Johnson Signature Strat (2-tone Sunburst, alder/maple)
Ibanez RG770 (Black, basswood/rosewood)
Peerless Journeyman (solid spruce/maple)
Sixt Bov-105C (Ovation-like acoustic) - Ibanez SGT-130 (Jumbo acoustic)
London City VS-1 (Precision bass) - Baton Rouge U3S (Ukelele)
Fender HotRod Deluxe 40W combo - Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue 5W combo - Marshall JCM 900 50W Hi-Gain combo

Effects & Other stuff
POD Studio UX2 audio interface - Edirol MA-15D monitors
EH Double Muff - Fulltone GT-500 - Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet - Guitarsystems TrebleTool Junior - Guitarsystems FuzzTool Junior
Korg Pitchblack Tuner - MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay - TC Electronics Nova Modulator - Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah
Shure SM58 - Roland PCR-500 midi controller/keyboard & Yamaha Clavinova CL-910 piano

My Website
My MySpace Page
My YouTube Channel
My Twitter Account
My Band 'Gonzo!'

+Quote Post
Chris Evans
Sep 24 2008, 09:17 AM
QUOTE (Antipolitik @ Sep 24 2008, 03:05 AM) *
Super stuff... thanks Smells and for Outlaw giving me the link to the thread (lazy me!).
This is exactly what I need... You are quickly becoming my PT, not as in Personal Trainer but more
like Pinky Trainer... waaahahahaha.

I will do this every day before hitting bed!

I`m working on a pinky lesson atm as it happens, trouble is I`m having to do a lot of work on it myself coz its KILLING mine laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Vasilije Vukmiro...
Oct 3 2008, 03:07 PM
Jazz Instructor
Great!

I like the first picture, I mean, example in the first picture. Yes it is simple, but I believe that scales should be played and practiced in one position as much as possible. Leaves better space for improvisation, and arpeggios are most accessible.
Of course. playing in 3-notes-per-string manner shouldn't be dismissed.

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 26 2010, 06:21 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
One more added to the knowledge base smile.gif
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/wiki/inde...iates_SI_Lesson

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
COSIMO76
May 31 2012, 04:28 PM
hi Chris...watch out ...!!! If I don't make mistakes the video for exercise 2 and 3 is the same, so there's a video for one exercise missing... Cheers..!!

QUOTE (COSIMO76 @ May 31 2012, 03:26 PM) *
hi Chris...watch out ...!!! If I don't make mistakes the video for exercise 2 and 3 is the same, so there's a video for one exercise missing... Cheers..!!

...oh no... here it is...I found it!!!! Sorry!! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:04 PM