Alnico Blue Vs Gold
NPB1979
Apr 7 2014, 07:18 PM
GMC:er
If I'm making a custom 15 watt tube amp, what is the better speaker? Alnico Blue or Gold?
It will probably end up sounding a lot like an AC15

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 7 2014, 08:55 PM
Are you referring to Celestion blue/gold speakers?

The Gold has higher clean headroom - more wattage handling capability - before breakup, and a bit more low mids depending on the cabinet construction and how many watts you're throwing at it.

The 'golds' are very popular with folks that have AC-15/30s and other vox style amps.
The blues will most likely sound very similar if not identical if you're going to use two speakers in an amp that's no hotter than 30 watts (and no 'top-boost' design).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
NPB1979
Apr 8 2014, 03:55 PM
I plan on going 1 x 12

I'm not hearing too many tonal differences in the videos I'm watching.

--------------------
As me about my Michigan-based handwound Great Lakes Guitar Pickups. Est. 2010 - I wind more for hobby and not for profit. I do pickup winding, rewinding, and some vintage repair as well.

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 8 2014, 04:17 PM
15 watts, 1x12" ... there won't be much (if any) difference unless you want to turn it up all the way. Then the golds will keep a little more definition in your sound.

*If you plan on using an overdrive that pushes extra low end the Golds will handle that better too.

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Apr 8 2014, 07:26 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (NPB1979 @ Apr 8 2014, 03:55 PM) *
I plan on going 1 x 12

I'm not hearing too many tonal differences in the videos I'm watching.

could not help with which speaker would be better , but,design it with a sealed back ,IMO those always sound better

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 9 2014, 09:22 AM
Instructor
I love those speakers (planning to make a cab with those as well. If it's 15 W amp I would go for Gold because there is a huge risk You could destroy Blue while some unexpected peak appear. With higher power rating like 100W amps I'm not afraid to use matched 100W cab because will never get even close to half of it's power. 20-30 Watt RMS is already massive power on huge stage as well. If we consider logarytmic characteristic of volume pot (audio taper) then it's never half of power on half of the pot scale. With 15Watt amp there is huge risk we could get close to max power in some particular situations or just have a "safe" volume set-up but much louder signal peaks. IMHO Blue whould be a risk for 15 Watt Tube Amp if it's only 1x12" cab

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 9 2014, 03:56 PM
QUOTE (Darius Wave @ Apr 9 2014, 01:22 AM) *
I love those speakers (planning to make a cab with those as well. If it's 15 W amp I would go for Gold because there is a huge risk You could destroy Blue while some unexpected peak appear. With higher power rating like 100W amps I'm not afraid to use matched 100W cab because will never get even close to half of it's power. 20-30 Watt RMS is already massive power on huge stage as well. If we consider logarytmic characteristic of volume pot (audio taper) then it's never half of power on half of the pot scale. With 15Watt amp there is huge risk we could get close to max power in some particular situations or just have a "safe" volume set-up but much louder signal peaks. IMHO Blue whould be a risk for 15 Watt Tube Amp if it's only 1x12" cab

Excellent point Darius!
A 1x12" with a 15 watt chasis will most likely fry that blue relatively quickly.
Go gold.

+Quote Post
pdf64
Apr 10 2014, 07:58 PM
A Blue will almost certainly be fine with an AC15 as that's the speaker used in the Vox AC15 but to make sure, get the amp's design and parts to the correct specification, such that the B+ voltage isn't too high and sags properly under load.

I've been advised that Blues will handle a continuous 20 watts without issue.

Unfortunately my correspendent gave up at that point, so don't know how much more it could have taken.

However, Fender produced a special Deluxe Reverb RI model with a Blue http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-...uitar-combo-amp and an overdriven DR will push out well over 25 watts.

With the cost of Blues, I envisage that Fender would have been very sure that they weren't going to be liable for lots of blown speaker warranty claims before putting this amp on to the market.

I've got 2 Blues and a Gold but the bLues are from my 50year old AC30 and will have a softer tone than new ones, so comparing the tones from my Blues and Gold isn't valid for your query.
But my guess is that the Gold may be a bit more' toppy' than a new Blue.

Try using the sound factory to compare http://www.watfordvalves.com/soundfactory.asp
Pete

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Apr 11 2014, 04:31 PM
I've blown a Celestion V30 (rated at 60 watts) with 38 watts. It was in a ported, closed back (Bogner) cab and I was running OD in front of the amp. I ripped the cone.

Though Vox does offer the 'option' of a Blue in their AC's - they ship standard with Celestion G12M Greenbacks - a 25 watt speaker.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 05:28 PM