Birthday Gift, Pink Floyd
Guitar Master123
Feb 21 2007, 09:05 PM
GMC:er
I need your advice on what Pink Floyd CD to get my father for his birthday. I don't know my Pink Floyd so just tell me what to get him.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 10)
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 21 2007, 10:04 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Guitar Master123 @ Feb 21 2007, 03:05 PM) *
I need your advice on what Pink Floyd CD to get my father for his birthday. I don't know my Pink Floyd so just tell me what to get him.

IMO, the 3 best albums are (in no order) The Wall, Wish You Were Here, Dark Side of the Moon.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 21 2007, 10:32 PM
I can't afford all of those at once. Which is best? Those are the only albums of Pink Floyd that I have ever heard about but never heard them.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Feb 21 2007, 10:46 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Guitar Master123 @ Feb 21 2007, 04:32 PM) *
I can't afford all of those at once. Which is best? Those are the only albums of Pink Floyd that I have ever heard about but never heard them.

DSOTM is Pink Floyds most popular album ever, if that is any help. Which is best is a hard call, they all have a distinctly different flavour. Go with DSOTM if you want a quick and easy answer :-)

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fretdancer
Feb 21 2007, 11:14 PM
However, If you want to be wringing your hands for the next few hours,.....

you could consider "The Wall", which contains arguably Their greatest track, "Comfortably Numb", their only number 1 single (they were not a "single's" band though) "Another Brick in the wall", and Its a double album so more "Floyd per buck".

If you listen to it too, I would say it will motivate you to want to learn to play it, (I "guarantee" it) and I am certain you will become a "fan"

As Andrew quite rightly says though, and clearly he is extremely knowledgable and has impeccable taste, Dark side of the moon is recognised as perhaps "the" greatest album of all time, it was in the top 100 for some 11 years and is still one of the top selling albums some 34 years later. It contains teh second best track ever in "time", How this track has never been covered and re-released by other groups I will never understand.

Wish you were here is totally sublime, completely different to anything you have ever heard before or will again, incredible innovation and full of soulfull licks that are phrased, without question, in such a way as to re-define brilliance.

The choice my friend is yours, Choose wisely grasshopper.

--------------------
its not easy
banging your head against some mad buggers wall.
Variax 300. Pod XTL & Crate amp
some of my recordings are here: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/petergb/

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 22 2007, 12:34 AM
Great advice! Thanks! I'll tell you when I have made my final disition.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Rockwouldbe
Feb 23 2007, 06:28 AM
Rock Instructor
i say whatever you choose get it on vineal my girlfriend got one and it is amazing.

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez Rg2570, Pod XTL, peavey classic 30w
Guitar it is a passion

a link to the Aspiring instructor

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Feb 23 2007, 12:18 PM
I have the cd called : ECHOES the best of pink floyd
26 tracks and a lot of great songs including all the classics
it costed something around 20 € or 20 $
I love that cd 2 disc full of great music get that one tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 24 2007, 01:32 AM
What does vinyl meen?

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post
Stijntjen
Feb 24 2007, 11:07 AM
It are those old big black discs that they used instead of cd's.

+Quote Post
Guitar Master123
Feb 24 2007, 06:58 PM
Does That Meen That You Can't Use It On CD Players?

Oh, and I made my dissision. Instead of a CD, I got a DVD. It is called
Pink Floyd: Making of Dark Side of the Moon.

--------------------
Country
Rap
Hip-Hop
Altenative
Punk
Classical
Reggae
Gospel
Heavy Metal
BlueGrass
Rock N' Roll

Mahalo!
Merry X-Mas
And a Happy New Year!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:17 AM